• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

I know, probably a dumb question, but I'm new at this. Is this considered the premier Batman issue of the BA? I'm asking in terms of possible upward movement and holding long term value. Been thinking of investing on some HG Batmans from the O'Neil/Adams run from that era and this one seems to be the most popular (and expensive) even though the story itself appears crappy and Adams (as cool as it is) only did the darn cover. Thanks for all opinions.

It is a good one, but I would argue that Batman #232 would be the biggest Adams Batman key from a story point of view. The story is good and it introduces the biggest Batman villain since the Golden Age.

However, from a value point it would be Batman #227 or Tec #400 (although I think Tec #400 is going to start dropping as more copies hit the census).

I hope so.... but sadly I would agree with Kimik that 232 is probably the biggest key to own... or possibly 234, as I see less of them around. However, Ras Al Ghul is the bigger BA villain which means it would hold more value. 227 is harder to find in HG because of the dark cover, about 5 times as many 232's in 9.4 and over as 227.

IMG_1077.jpg

Edited by Twistty1

I hope so.... but sadly I would agree with Kimik that 232 is probably the biggest key to own... or possibly 234, as I see less of them around. However, Ras Al Ghul is the bigger BA villain which means it would hold more value. 227 is harder to find in HG because of the dark cover, about 5 times as many 232's in 9.4 and over as 227.

IMG_1077.jpg

Nice one brother,where have you been hiding this one. :applause:

IMG_1077.jpg

lol Thanks Oak, it was in my sig line for almost a year... :baiting:

IMG_1077.jpg

So when are you selling? hm

IMG_1077.jpg

To quote a friend of mine on the boards...."this one's staying in my collection" lol

IMG_1077.jpg

To quote a friend of mine on the boards...."this one's staying in my collection" lol

(worship) You da' man! :applause:

Now that is one nice book. I've seen a 9.6 on eBay not long ago and that one didn't look as nice as this. In fact, it had a date stamp on the cover. I'm not sure why CGC doesn't automatically lower a grade due to this. Then again, I'm more familiar with how baseball and other sports cards are graded. A date stamp or any other type of marking/writing would be considered defacing the front.

Now that is one nice book. I've seen a 9.6 on eBay not long ago and that one didn't look as nice as this. In fact, it had a date stamp on the cover. I'm not sure why CGC doesn't automatically lower a grade due to this. Then again, I'm more familiar with how baseball and other sports cards are graded. A date stamp or any other type of marking/writing would be considered defacing the front.

Because in comics, date stamps and marking/writing aren`t considered defacing. (shrug)

Thank you. Actually the lower right front corner is slightly blunted which I think brought the grade down to the 9.4, but I'm very happy with the wrap and that it doesn't have the white along the dark spine.

IMG_1077.jpg

Sorry guys, but Adam has agreed to sell me this gem when he is ready to let it go. I posted dibs on it long ago. (tsk)

I know, probably a dumb question, but I'm new at this. Is this considered the premier Batman issue of the BA? I'm asking in terms of possible upward movement and holding long term value. Been thinking of investing on some HG Batmans from the O'Neil/Adams run from that era and this one seems to be the most popular (and expensive) even though the story itself appears crappy and Adams (as cool as it is) only did the darn cover. Thanks for all opinions.

I agree with Ryan and Adam that Bats #232 is an always in demand book with arguably the best Adams Bats cover, but there are many on the census without much room to grow as an investment. Adams Batman books with some great future potential: Tec 395 (1st O'neal/Adams story), Tec 402 (Tough dark cover Manbat story), Tec 411 (1st Talia). Without checking, I believe there are relatively few of these out there in 9.2+ compared to both Bats 227 and 232. You can't go wrong with a Bats 227 in 9.2+ though. There will always be demand among Batman collectors for that cover in all grades. (thumbs u

Well, I guess this is the real question. Where can I find a 227 in 9.0+ or better condition :) ?

That 9.6 with the date stamp just bothers the heck out of me.

Time will tell.mummy.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

That's an exceptional copy. Here's my beat-up copy.

gpksketch1001.jpg

Because in comics, date stamps and marking/writing aren`t considered defacing. (shrug)

It's like a birth mark. (shrug)

IMG_1077.jpg

(worship)(worship)

The only one missing from my collection.

The 9.6 that was on eBay with the date stamp may have been the HighGradeComics copy, I was tempted by it myself as I am in desperate need of this book to complete the "keys". But I was also put off by the date stamp, it appears in the "moon" of the cover and even though the book is well structured and looks great (plus its a 9.6) I want this cover to be clean in that respect.

But everyone is right, #227 are hard to come by, I've sold a VFN- raw & a CGC 8.0 in the last year for decent prices whilst trying to pursue at least a 9.4

#232 are easier to find then #227, even though I feel the #232 is the better cover (gotta love that green).

Well, I guess this is the real question. Where can I find a 227 in 9.0+ or better condition :) ?

That 9.6 with the date stamp just bothers the heck out of me.

8.0-9.0 copies come up for sale pretty regularly. Keep watch on eBay, Heritage, ComicLink, ComicConnect and here on the boards. I have 4 graded copies right now but am not selling. I am in hoarding mode now to keep pace with Kimik! :hi: