• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Early Actions.

With as coveted as these books have become, I'm surprised that we have yet to see a "club thread" dedicated to them exclusively.

I personally feel that it is about time, so lets make it official. (thumbs u

Action Comics #1-24.

I found it difficult to settle on a specific cutoff point as to exactly where we should draw the line between an "Early Action" and a "Later Action" as people's opinions tend to differ; but the original Siegel & Shuster run appeared to be as good of a starting point as any. Since Paul Cassidy began penciling the Superman stories in Action Comics #25 (according to www.dcindexes.com), I felt that issues #1-24 would make for a solid "Early Action" run.

This thread like other "clubs" is your official destination for anything and everything related to the run at hand.

So please ... feel welcome to join the club! :whee:

Allow for me to kick this thread off with my most recent acquisition.

The "Holy Grail" of our hobby ... Action Comics #1. (worship)

Action1_1.jpg

Action1_2.jpg

While I realize that some might scoff at the notion of collecting individual pages or the fact that this page contains non-Superman content, I couldn't be prouder to add this piece of history to my collection. :cloud9:

Since the cost of a complete copy is out of the price-range of 99.999% of collectors, owning a slabbed unrestored page that features the 1st appearence of Tex Thompson (a character that lasted for the first 74 issues of Action Comics) is a truly amazing feeling.

On an obscure note: Since this is the second to last page of Action Comics #1, it had to have once been attached (as a wrap) to the second page of the book that features the 1st appearence of Superman.

Pretty cool IMHO. :cool:

Early Actions.

With as coveted as these books have become, I'm surprised that we have yet to see a "club thread" dedicated to them exclusively.

I think that one of the main reasons a club thread wasn't started here is because the GA forum is very different (or at least used to be) than the other forums.

(thumbs u

Early Actions.

I think that one of the main reasons a club thread wasn't started here is because the GA forum is very different (or at least used to be) than the other forums.

(thumbs u

You are right Roy. Normally there would be six threads devoted to them, and nine threads on pre-Robin Detectives

lol

Early Actions.

(thumbs u

Is it cool then to start a club for early Actions? (shrug)

The "Pre-Robin Tec Club" thread seemed to do very well and IMO, early Actions are just as deserving. (thumbs u

Here's my set. :cloud9:

actionset.jpg

actionsetB-1.jpg

An incredibly cool set Rich. (thumbs u

Your Action Comics #7 is my favorite out of the bunch (possibly the greatest Superman cover of all-time). (worship)

Thanks. (thumbs u Thinking about keeping this set and pulling it from the market.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Action1_1.jpg

Action1_2.jpg

While I realize that some might scoff at the notion of collecting individual pages or the fact that this page contains non-Superman content, I couldn't be prouder to add this piece of history to my collection. :cloud9:

Since the cost of a complete copy is out of the price-range of 99.999% of collectors, owning a slabbed unrestored page that features the 1st appearence of Tex Thompson (a character that lasted for the first 74 issues of Action Comics) is a truly amazing feeling.

On an obscure note: Since this is the second to last page of Action Comics #1, it had to have once been attached (as a wrap) to the second page of the book that features the 1st appearence of Superman.

Where did that come from? Was it slabbed just for you? The Clink ones were full wraps right?

Action1_1.jpg

Action1_2.jpg

Where did that come from? Was it slabbed just for you? The Clink ones were full wraps right?

I purchased it directly from another collector.

When I called CGC to get the graders notes (just to see if they could tell me anything beyond what's already printed on the label), they told me that they slabbed a number of other loose pages as well.

If you compare the back of my page to the back-scan of the incomplete/coverless copy that sold at auction last September, you can tell that my page originated from that copy.

love the thread idea, and agree with your cutoff point ending at #24.

here's my two entries:

Scan10003.jpg

ActionComics20c.jpg

Incredible books. (worship)

Did you know that the cover for Action #10 is reminiscent of a scene that took place in Action #2?

Much like the cover for Action #7 is reminiscent of a scene that took place in Action #1.

Makes me wonder if the first three Superman covers were created around the same time? hm

Action1_1.jpg

Action1_2.jpg

I purchased it directly from another collector.

When I called CGC to get the graders notes (just to see if they could tell me anything beyond what's already printed on the label), they told me that they slabbed a number of other loose pages as well.

If you compare the back of my page to the back-scan of the incomplete/coverless copy that sold at auction last September, you can tell that my page originated from that copy.

(thumbs u Congrats on finding one. Maybe you should change your name to Tex Thompson?

Very cool idea for a thread! (That Action 20 is a really nice 5.5 by the way!!)

I've been working on my own set of Action 1-24 for a while now. My goal is to complete it in the next 5-10 years :wishluck:

Here are my entries

Action23.jpg

Action19.jpg

Actioncomics14.jpg

Actioncomics13.jpg

Actioncomics12.jpg

Action93.jpg

Action3.jpg

Edited by Filter81

Very cool idea for a thread! (That Action 20 is a really nice 5.5 by the way!!)

I've been working on my own set of Action 1-24 for a while now. My goal is to complete it in the next 5-10 years :wishluck:

Here are my entries (I need to take new scans of a few!)

Action23.jpg

Action19.jpg

Action14.jpg

Action13.jpg

Action12.jpg

Action93.jpg

Action3.jpg

Unbelievable books Adam. (worship)

I cannot even remember the last time I saw a universal Action #3. :o