Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#4630074 - 02/26/11 08:23 PM Listing of semi key and key coins???
mintcollector Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hello,

These forums have been a great help for me and I was wondering is anyone has ever done a post listing all the key or semi key date coins of various series...?

I would like to try to put together a 'slabbed' set of semi key and key date US coins. Is there a place where I can find this info?

If anyone can help please let me know. I apologize in advance if this is in fact a 'stupid' question.

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

#4630097 - 02/26/11 08:30 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mintcollector]
James_EarlyUS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: St. Louis, MO
 Originally Posted By: mintcollector
Hello,

These forums have been a great help for me and I was wondering is anyone has ever done a post listing all the key or semi key date coins of various series...?

I would like to try to put together a 'slabbed' set of semi key and key date US coins. Is there a place where I can find this info?

If anyone can help please let me know. I apologize in advance if this is in fact a 'stupid' question.

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

"Key" and "semi-key" status is often highly dependent on grade. Many coins are extremely common in low grade, but astronomically rare in high grade, and there are several Morgan issues that come to mind. Was there a particular grade you had in mind? For that matter, proof or business-strike format?

My posts express my PERSONAL opinions ONLY. Please respect my right to Freedom of Speech as I respect yours.

#4630115 - 02/26/11 08:37 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: James_EarlyUS]
mintcollector Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: James_EarlyUS
Hello,

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

"Key" and "semi-key" status is often highly dependent on grade. Many coins are extremely common in low grade, but astronomically rare in high grade, and there are several Morgan issues that come to mind. Was there a particular grade you had in mind? For that matter, proof or business-strike format?

Great questions and I am sorry I didn't answer them the first time around. I am looking for non proof (business strike) coins in Ms 64 to MS 65 grade that would be semi key to key coins for a US coin type set.

#4630366 - 02/26/11 09:58 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mintcollector]
TonerGuy Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

That would be a great investment set...

#4630395 - 02/26/11 10:08 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mintcollector]
michael Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: western ny state
Hello,

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

key date and also a rare coin in the flowing hair halfdime series is the 1794

one of the most underrated pre 1800 federal mint silver coins

#4630406 - 02/26/11 10:12 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: michael]
mintcollector Offline
Chatzilla

What are the semi key/key coins in the following series:

Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Kennedy Halves, and any other silver or gold based coin. I am trying to avoid copper coins as they can tone very easily.

I thank you all for your help!

#4630451 - 02/26/11 10:30 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mintcollector]
mike169 Offline
Collector is an understatement.

What are the semi key/key coins in the following series:

Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters, Walking Liberty Halves, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Kennedy Halves, and any other silver or gold based coin. I am trying to avoid copper coins as they can tone very easily.

I thank you all for your help!

I would recommend getting some kind of price guide (free or otherwise). I know NGC has a price guide, but I don't know if it's free or not to non-paying members.

It would be too difficult to answer your question thoroughly.

For Buffalo Nickels, the 1926-S (and many of the other S-mints) comes to mind as a key date, especially in higher grades.

For Mercury Dimes, the 1916-D, and the 1921 (and 1921-D) coins.

For Washington Quarters, 1932-D and 1932-S, plus a few others I don't know offhand.

For Walking Liberty Halves, the 1921(P-D-S) and earlier dates come to mind. For the budget oriented person, the 1941-S is a key date for the later years.

Morgan Dollars: Too numerous to mention, but the 1893-S and the 1884-S comes to mind.

Peace Dollars: 1921, 1928, and 1928-S comes to mind.

etc.

Note that it's difficult in many situations to get a well struck coin even in MS-65, especially for the key dates.

#4630488 - 02/26/11 10:45 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mike169]
physics-fan3.14 Offline

WYNK Black Belt

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Charleston!
Be VERY careful assembling this set. Buy only graded coins.

A set of this type is only recommended for experienced collectors, due to the extremely high cost and potential downside. Key dates are often very overpriced, and quite often overgraded. This can lead you to spending far more than the coins are worth. Be VERY careful doing this set. Also, think through how much it is going to cost you - for a full type set of key date coins, in MS-64-65, you are probably looking at HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars.

The Art and Science of Grading Coins

#4630514 - 02/26/11 10:59 PM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: physics-fan3.14]
mintcollector Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: physics-fan3.14
Be VERY careful assembling this set. Buy only graded coins.

A set of this type is only recommended for experienced collectors, due to the extremely high cost and potential downside. Key dates are often very overpriced, and quite often overgraded. This can lead you to spending far more than the coins are worth. Be VERY careful doing this set. Also, think through how much it is going to cost you - for a full type set of key date coins, in MS-64-65, you are probably looking at HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars.

Your reply has really piqued my interest. What would you recommend instead? I am trying to put together a set of 'investment' grade coins from each type or series. Is there a better way to collect? I am only asking because you stated I should be very cautious. I always thought that this would be a good plan for collecting; am I wrong? I value your opinion if you could help. Thank you.

Sincerely,

'mint'

#4630676 - 02/27/11 12:00 AM Re: Listing of semi key and key coins??? [Re: mintcollector]
mike169 Offline
Collector is an understatement.

I shall put in my input based on your reply.

1. "Is there a better way to collect" or is there a better way to invest? Those are two different questions. We are not investment advisors. As for collecting, my opinion is collect what you enjoy, and the investment potential will follow.

2. I do not necessarily agree with key dates being overpriced, especially with the more popular series As long as there is a demand for them, then the value will always be there.

3. If you can afford it, by all means, go for it. MS-64 and above coins look better in most cases than VF-20 coins. There are many collectors who have assembled high-grade key date sets. Just be forewarned it won't be cheap, and you'll need a keen eye for all aspects of grading.

Your "finding a dealer" thread may help you find some dealers who can help you with this ...

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH: 1995-S Civil War Commomorative Dollar PCGS PF-69DCAM & More!
by 123cents
10:30 PM
Auction Catalog Labor Day Sale 40 % off !
by RichH
03:12 PM
FSH - GIANT 44x20 inch prints of 1896 $1 & $5 Silver Certificates! +2 more!
by Paul S
11:54 AM
top pop coins for sale all reasonable offers accepted
by wmfielding
10:15 AM
Comics Marketplace
LOADS OF DC!!! GA GREEN LANTERN #10, ALL-AMERICAN #90 -- TONS MORE!
by Cosmic Boy
01:05 PM
ASM #101-102, X-MEN #97,100,101,102, SUPERMAN #147 & a couple of 60s 'TECs
by sakaridis
01:00 PM
Two ASM #129s and some Silver Age ASM lots...
by cloudofwit
12:47 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 Homage Prints/Posters
by Ryan.
11:36 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.