Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#4616173 - 02/20/11 07:08 PM "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread!
Hepcat Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Toronto
Any collector of "Uncle Remus and his Tales of Brer Rabbit" comic items faces a daunting task. Granted only three comic books devoted to Brer Rabbit and crew have been published, those being Four Color 129, 208 and 693. Here are scans of the latter two from my collection:

In addition though Brer Rabbit was also the character feature of the 1955 Kite Fun Book giveaway of several electric power utilities across the U.S. Here's one from Hake's website:

Brer Rabbit was also the title feature of Wheaties premium D-4 and Cheerios premiums X-3 and Y-2. Here are scans of these from my collection:

What makes collecting the appearances of the Briar Patch stable of characters so daunting, however, is that an "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" comic strip ran weekends from October 14, 1945 to December 31, 1972 in select newspapers across the breadth of the country:

I have several dozen of these newspaper strips but that's not much more than just scratching the surface.

I do though have a couple of one-of-a-kind Uncle Remus items in my comic room. The first is the original art for the poster from the 1972 rerelease of the "Song of the South" movie:

The second is a stained glass window of Brer Fox and Flower I commissioned for the door in my comic room leading to my upper porch:

Edited by Hepcat (02/20/11 07:24 PM)

#4616209 - 02/20/11 07:24 PM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
comicdonna Offline

This is what my dog thinks of your post.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Green Mountain state!
I used to own one of the Wheaties premiums.

#4616502 - 02/20/11 10:05 PM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
selegue Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Stone Age
 Originally Posted By: Hepcat
Any collector of "Uncle Remus and his Tales of Brer Rabbit" comic items faces a daunting task. Granted only three comic books devoted to Brer Rabbit and crew have been published, those being Four Color 129, 208 and 693. Here are scans of the latter two from my collection:

Lovely copies!

Here's my beater of Four Color 129 to complete the set.

Jack

#4616750 - 02/21/11 12:01 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: selegue]
selegue Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Stone Age
PS

"Song of the South" was the first movie I saw in a theater, apparently warping me for life.

Zip a deedoodah
Zip a D.A....

Jack

Originally Posted By: selegue

Lovely copies!

Here's my beater of Four Color 129 to complete the set.

Jack

#4616815 - 02/21/11 01:13 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
Ted Knight Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Minnesota

The second is a stained glass window of Brer Fox and Flower I commissioned for the door in my comic room leading to my upper porch:

That stained glass is pretty cool. I really miss Song of the South as it's one of the first I remember seeing as well.

Nice posts, guys.

#4616907 - 02/21/11 06:56 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
markseifert Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Rantoul, IL
What a great idea! \(thumbs u

#4616973 - 02/21/11 08:49 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: markseifert]
Hepcat Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: selegue
"Song of the South" was the first movie I saw in a theater, apparently warping me for life.

I didn't see the movie until its 1986 rerelease. I came to my love of the Uncle Remus characters from the newspaper strip that ran Saturdays in the London Free Press until sometime in the late sixties.

Attachments
109626.jpg
Description:

Edited by Hepcat (02/21/11 08:51 AM)

#4617093 - 02/21/11 10:27 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
Larryw7 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 328 Chauncey Street
I saw "Song of the South" when it was re-released in the early seventies. I wish Disney would release it on DVD/Blu-ray, I'd love to see it again.

#4617142 - 02/21/11 10:55 AM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: Hepcat]
BB-Gun Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: PA

I think I have two copies of this one and one of FC 208

I saw it at the movies back in the fifties and loved it. I don't think I have seen it since. Enjoyed the story in the Sunday funnies as well

#4617351 - 02/21/11 01:22 PM Re: "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" appreciation thread! [Re: BB-Gun]
40YrsCollctngCmcs Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: The Crown City, CA
Four Color 129 is a tough book. My first copy came from a flea market in 1973 or 1974 and was a true beater with brittle pages as I recall. It still sold on EBay warts and all probably indicative of how hard it is to find copies. A few years later I picked up a nice copy at a New York show which I still own. It is pictured below.

As a kid I also enjoyed the comic strip you mentioned and I believe it ran in our local paper. I also enjoyed the tales in the back of WDC&S that I was avidly collecting. On a trip to Walt Disney World in the early 70's I was surprised to find these great bisque figurines handmade in Japan. I had forgotten all about these until just a few years ago when my brother found them while cleaning out my Dad's house. They now sit in our living room on display and are quite nice.

Have you considered looking into collecting any of the record albums? The 78 RPM records are particularly nice with some nice artwork gracing the covers.

As for DVD/Blu-Ray don't hold your breath. Disney will not be releasing this movie anytime soon due to its (admittedly moderate) stereotypical characterizations. They just won't go there. Your best bet (although expensive) is to get the Japanese Laser Disc assuming you have or don't mind getting a Laser Disc player. If that won't do bootleg VCR's exist that you can pick up somewhere. It is a great movie and we can only hope that Disney releases it in a historical collection someday.

Attachments
109628.jpg
Description:

109632.jpg
Description:

109633.jpg
Description:

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing