• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Wouldn't mind reading those Lovecraft tales :)

As for me I'm re-reading 1984. Fun to read it every decade or so :)

I have a copy of Max Brook's 'Zombie Survival Guide' on my nightstand as well.

I'm reading 1984 at the moment too. A long time omission from my reading list, and Bronzilla insists I get it done!

Just finished FOUL PLAY! by Grant Geissman, about the EC artists. Loads of great info I never knew before. Non comics related reads: The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith, Christian Origins and the Question of God by N.T. Wright, some audio/video mags(Widescreen Review, Sound and Vision).

• Administrator

Finishing Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson (finally...) and slowly going through The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver. Up next I have Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calgione (plus an entire shelf more...I was hooked on swap.com before they changed the format... :( )

• Administrator

It's on the shelf ;) along with a bunch of Palahniuk, too

Similar to the story above...I keep buying Snow Crash and lending it out (never to be returned)...I still lend though (I should learn)

Edited by Gemma

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just started reading again for the first time since who knows when. Probably have not read a book since college actually, until about 2 years ago. My wife has always enjoyed reading and for whatever reason, I just decided I would give it a try.

I recently started the Jack the Ripper books by Cornwell, but quite honestly, I have better stuff to do than read it. Boring. I will probably try to finish it, but Cornwell has slipped way down my list.

Tried to start reading the Harry Potter series, but didn't make it through the first book.

Currently reading the Hunt for Red October, and probably going to follow with some more Clancy stuff. Pretty good so far, but kind of a tough read.

Just finished reading all the Alex Cross books in order by Patterson, and I would highly recommend them to anyone who like Crime noir stuff from any genre. Easy read, fast moving and highly entertaining.

I also have been reading alot of Grisham lately. Have read the Firm (movie was better), Pelican Brief (pretty good), Runaway Jury (very good), and a Time to Kill (best Grisham of the 4 I have read so far). Grisham tends to bog down in details sometimes, but not so much you want to quit reading, just have to fight the urge to skim sometimes.

Nothing I have read so far compares in the slightest to Patterson though.

I'm a big Hunter Thompson fan also. If you haven't read his political stuff, check it out. He was onto Nixon way before Watergate exploded.

My reading lately has been Objective C and iPhone programming books, as well as "Head First SQL." I've got a comic book want list app that's going to be submitted to Apple shortly. My artist delivered some great icon art last night.

Yeah 1984 is a good read He11blazer. It still stays pertinent every time I read it, which is the hallmark of a true classic to me.

The Hunt for Red October was interesting, but I can only take so much of Clancy's technical details. In that book he went a bit overboard and lost me during some parts as I'm not big into military and naval details. I think he hit it out of the park with 'Without Remorse' and the Rainbow Six's however - still two of my favorites I have read.

Anyone read any philosophical books? I like 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' It's fantastic and the wiki on it can explain better than I possibly could:

"With this, the book details two types of personalities: those who are interested mostly in gestalts (romantic viewpoints, such as Zen, focused on being "In the moment", and not on rational analysis), and those who seek to know the details, understand the inner workings, and master the mechanics (classic viewpoints with application of rational analysis, vis-a-vis motorcycle maintenance) and so on."

Finishing Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson (finally...) and slowly going through The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver. Up next I have Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calgione (plus an entire shelf more...I was hooked on swap.com before they changed the format... :( )

I am not on Swap.com but am on PaperBackSwap.com. I just looked up Swap.com and ... yuck ... you have to be paired to swap? :P On PaperBackSwap.com, once you mail something away, you earn credit and then can redeem with anyone which is a heck of a lot better ... and no fee to the site either.

What was the format change that you didn't like?

Cryptonomicon was a one heck of a read but I couldn't get into his Baroque cycle :shrug:

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I read The Shadow of the Wind back in October '09 and enjoyed it for the most part. Have you read that and how does The Angel's Game compare? From the Amazon write-up (I stopped before it revealed too much), the same themes / places / and almost characters are in The Angel's Game as in The Shadow of the Wind.

I'm presently reading The Killing Circle by Andrew Pyper. I'm not normally a reader of horror fiction, but the main character is a writer (a journalist, he gets fired by his Managing Editor half-way through the novel) and the book is full of great observations about that career.

• Administrator

I am not on Swap.com but am on PaperBackSwap.com. I just looked up Swap.com and ... yuck ... you have to be paired to swap? :P On PaperBackSwap.com, once you mail something away, you earn credit and then can redeem with anyone which is a heck of a lot better ... and no fee to the site either.

What was the format change that you didn't like?

Cryptonomicon was a one heck of a read but I couldn't get into his Baroque cycle :shrug:

Originally it was completely free and there were no regulations other than make sure you send the book in a timely fashion and then give feedback. Now they charge a fee per swap plus they now require tracking or possible retribution from swapper and site which tries to make the members use their site-generated shipping labels, which miscalculate shipping costs and incurr a monthly service fee :P

I'm going to check out paperbackswap, thanks! ;)

Yeah, couldn't get into Baroque the first time I picked it up...but the same was true for Cryptonomicon and I love it so far (about a chapter or so to go...)!

Edited by Gemma