• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

What are you guys and gals reading right now, besides comic books? I know comics helped instill a love for reading in me and it's still a major focus in my life today. For me.... "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, Collected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft, "Souls on Fire" by Elie Weisel, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Hawkins and Penrose, and two biographies about AC / DC and Led Zeppelin. They're all great. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wouldn't mind reading those Lovecraft tales :)

As for me I'm re-reading 1984. Fun to read it every decade or so :)

I have a copy of Max Brook's 'Zombie Survival Guide' on my nightstand as well.

Did you read World War Z? It was pretty good.

I just finished Old School by Tobias Wolff & Repetition by Alain Robbe-Grillet, and started The Pesthouse by Jim Crace.

.....I found an old H.P. Lovecraft biography that I had forgotten I had and re read it. It made me want to read the stories again....last read them in the mid 80's and they seem fresh now. There's also a documentary on him I just watched that had Neil Gaimen paying him tribute....great stuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hell's Angel by Hunter S. Thompson

Amazing book and scary. (thumbs u

Still have to say Fear and Loathing is my favorite. Was super happy when they made the movie with the cast they chose.

I went on opening night and around 40 minutes in, half the theater had walked out? I have never experienced a cinematic mass exodus, and I sat through that piece of mess Jar Jar :sick:

Started reading fire and water, sub-mariner and the birth of marvel comics last night (v-day gift). Think i polished off 75 pages so far.

That looks SO good....I'm thinking hard about getting it. GOD BLESS...

Started reading fire and water, sub-mariner and the birth of marvel comics last night (v-day gift). Think i polished off 75 pages so far.

That looks SO good....I'm thinking hard about getting it. GOD BLESS...

i'm def enjoying it so far.

Did you read World War Z? It was pretty good.

I just finished Old School by Tobias Wolff & Repetition by Alain Robbe-Grillet, and started The Pesthouse by Jim Crace.

I actually read WWZ first! Fantastic book, hope the movie does it justice.

Finished Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear, the second Maisie Dobbs mystery (England post-WW I) and am 20 pages away from finishing Owen Parry's 3rd Abel Jones mystery (Civil War): Call Each River Jordan. Not sure what comes next ... Likely the next Maigret in the new 10-volume collected Simenon Maigret novels.

Hell's Angel by Hunter S. Thompson

Amazing book and scary. (thumbs u

Still have to say Fear and Loathing is my favorite. Was super happy when they made the movie with the cast they chose.

I went on opening night and around 40 minutes in, half the theater had walked out? I have never experienced a cinematic mass exodus, and I sat through that piece of mess Jar Jar :sick:

I have not read that one yet but I have a copy. I love Ralph Steadman art so I can't wait to read the books he illustrated.

Last four books I've had a chance to read:

Luna Park by Brett Easton Ellis (My favorite contemporary writer, known best for 'American Psycho, a masterpiece in horror. Luna Park is scary and hilarious. Loved it.)

God's Coach by Skip Bayless (The first and best of Bayless' Dallas Cowboys trilogy, it chronicles the final Tom Landry years and the details of Jerry Jones' takeover. I've probably read this book five times now.)

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis (Much better than the movie, especially if you're a true football X's and O's nut. Great stuff.)

Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk (Another great contemporary writer known for 'Fight Club'. Besides 'Survivor' which I still think is his best work, this is one of my favorites. Not for everyone, but I thought it was very funny and spot on satirical.

Kind of on a tear myself. Inbetween Ambush Bug stories in the past few weeks, I have read "Up from Slavery" and the first couple Harry Potter books. I read the biographical graphic novel "Stitches" - very cool. Now I am in the middle of "Waiting for Superman" (a big FU to all the haters of teachers out there right now) and "Narrative of Frederick Douglas."

It had been a long time since I really went through a book, it was about time I start back up. I am glad I did. Now I remember why I like them.

I love Chuck Palahniuk <3

Lullaby and Monster are my two favorites. I lent someone Survivor and it has yet to be returned.

I also lent Ham on Rye, never returned

I am Legend, never returned

Naked Lunch, never returned

I stopped lending anything to anyone about 8 years ago :sumo:

I have a Barnes and Noble fetish which runs higher than my funny book budget. :cry: