• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
9 9

1,270 posts in this topic

Those foreign issues are SWEET. (worship)

I have a Spanish issue somewhere - but for whatever reason, if I recall - the cover is kind of blah. I'll try to locate it and post a scan.

Any other "Mad Men" out there, please share with us, by all means. :insane:

Loved the Spy vs Spy animated shorts they showed with MadTV

That's a good one. I wonder if those are all compiled somewhere? (Maybe on YouTube?)

I really dug MadTV, but the "Mad" connection is pretty nebulous outside of the Spy vs. Spy cartoons. I went with my brother to a live taping once, when Seth Green was the guest star. It was interesting watching a skit performed numerous times, with little bits of improv and variation in each performance (the best moments of which would later be edited seamlessly into a single sketch).

During a break in the shooting, Seth Green walked up and talked to us in the studio audience, and said how happy he was to be a part of this because "Mad" had been such a major influence on him during his youth, and on his style of comedy in "Robot Chicken," etc.

I have a Spanish issue somewhere - but for whatever reason, if I recall - the cover is kind of blah. I'll try to locate it and post a scan.

That's cool. Yeah, some of the foreign issue covers are blah, or just U.S. covers with foreign-language text. But they're still kinda cool. It's interesting how some jokes translate completely, and some have to be reworked or discarded. (I'll show some examples of this when I post more of my foreign issues.)

Just got this one in the mail -- French Mad #1, from 1965. I've been looking for this for a long time, and am very happy to have found it in nice grade. (Now I need to get Italian Mad #1, Danish Mad #1, etc.)

mad-french.jpg

My favorite thing about this is the translation of "What, me worry?" to "Quoi -- moi, m'en faire?"

Hi there, i ended up with a collection of about 130 mad magazines dating from issue #11 back in 1955. most of them are in very good condition. i am just looking to find a place where i can sell them.

anybody know of places/people that might be interested in buying the lot?

of special notice, issues 11, 19 and the first "the worst of Mad" from Sept 56-Aug 57and the Mad record labels and Mad Travel stickers are still there. (glue might be

past its expiration date though.)

i can be emailed via my profile.

mad.JPG

thanks.

I'm a HUGE Mad, AE Newman, Kurtzman, Davis, Aragones, Martin FAN!

I love Mad. Grew up with them in the 60's and 70's. Dropped them in the 80s.

I have lots of Mad Comics and I've sold lots of Mad Comics over the years too. I have AE Newman stuff like Christmas ornaments, Bobble heads, statues, 3-D Cards and all kinds of stuff. I have the Mad mag from the month I was born in Oct 1963 sitting right here.

Terry

I'm a HUGE Mad, AE Newman, Kurtzman, Davis, Aragones, Martin FAN!

I love Mad. Grew up with them in the 60's and 70's. Dropped them in the 80s.

I have lots of Mad Comics and I've sold lots of Mad Comics over the years too. I have AE Newman stuff like Christmas ornaments, Bobble heads, statues, 3-D Cards and all kinds of stuff. I have the Mad mag from the month I was born in Oct 1963 sitting right here.

Cool, Terry! But do you have the Spy vs. Spy cufflinks? I have a set of those, though I've never had occasion to wear them. If you have time, it would be cool to see photos of some of your collection, especially now that your Christmas ornaments are likely to be up on a tree. Also, 1963 was a terrific year for Mad -- the humor was really coming into its own, hitting its satirical stride. (Not that they were any slouches for the previous 11 years.)

I'm here! I only started to peck away at early Mads this past decade but I now have over half the issues from #24 through #100. The later issues with the back cover fold in gags are actually tougher to find in grade than the earlier issues.

:(

Hi, everyone. Happy Holidays to all. I just stumbled on this site and decided to register. Like many of you, I am a voracious MAD collector, specializing in the paperback books. I think many of the covers for the paperback books are better than the regular magazine. And, like Doohickamabob, I love some of the foreign edition covers.

While I have a few of the comic editions in my collection, I have a straight run from 24 up to 400, but then I started to peter out. I also have a complete collection of Super Specials, most of the Follies, Worst of, and More Trash, and a few other odd MAD collectables. But...my real collection is my MAD paperbacks. At last count I have over 1100 paperbacks with over 465 foreign editions from 16 countries, and a bunch of the boxed MAD paperback gift sets. I will try post some photos soon.

I have tons of foreign MAD magazines and paperbacks for sale or trade if anyone is interested. I am looking forward to being part of this board.

But...my real collection is my MAD paperbacks. At last count I have over 1100 paperbacks with over 465 foreign editions from 16 countries, and a bunch of the boxed MAD paperback gift sets. I will try post some photos soon.

That is amazing. How long did that take to put together? Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the paperback editions? Somehow I doubt it, unless it's in that "Collectibly Mad" book. I can't remember if collectmad.com has much information on the paperbacks. I have always found the cover of "A Mad Treasure Chest" rather fascinating. Good to have you in the forum and I look forward to the photos.

Thank you for the welcome!! When I originally began reading MAD as a kid (around 7 years old) I continued to read and I guess collect the magazines intermittently until well into High School. The funny thing is that I never bought any of the paperbacks. It wasn't until I was 20 years old that I began collecting MAD again. A couple of years later I had bought a few MAD paperbacks at a yard sale and that is where it all started. I am 38 now and there are still a small handful of US cover variations (that I know of) that I still need. My favorites are the Warner issue of "Howling MAD" and "Self-Made MAD", "MAD Sucks", "Monster MAD", "Invisible MAD", and "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. MAD". I grew up on the Universal and Hammer horror films, so the mix of the 2 have always been my favorites.

The foreign books were tricky. The first I had read about them was in Grant's "Collectibly MAD." But...there was no list. Then, I saw a few foreign cover scans on Collectmad.com. It has taken me well over 8 years to just about finish most of my foreign paperback collections. Believe it or not, most of what I have found was by pure accident and not even through eBay. Eventually I became the "go-to guy" (for lack of a better term) when it came to paperbacks among some of the MAD collectors.

At last count, there were paperbacks published in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Holland (Netherlands), Hungary, Italy, Japan, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan (bootleg copies), Turkey, and the U.K. There have been rumors amongst many of the major collectors as to whether paperbacks were published in Greece, but none of us have seen them. Some countries, like Brazil, have taken paperback material and used it as Specials or odd-sized books. Some have even created their own variations of paperbacks by combining cartoons from various sources to make a brand new book.

I tried to add a photo but I can't figure out how to do it. Any advice or instruction would be appreciated.

Thank you for the welcome!! When I originally began reading MAD as a kid (around 7 years old) I continued to read and I guess collect the magazines intermittently until well into High School.

That's funny, that's the range for most Mad fans. My Mad fandom spanned roughly the same time period: about age 7 till early high-school interests took over. I must admit, though, that I've enjoyed reading the recent issues -- such as the one currently on newsstands.

A couple of years later I had bought a few MAD paperbacks at a yard sale and that is where it all started.

If you hadn't gone to that yard sale, what would you have ended up collecting instead? I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I hadn't retrieved my old Mad collection from my dad's garage, which is how I ended up getting back into it (and into golden-age comics as an off-shoot). At a certain point, I decided to focus on only the magazines and not the paperbacks, and I ended up selling them in lots on eBay. They sold for disappointing prices. In retrospect I should have kept them all, or at least my favorites, but at the time I lived in a small apartment and free space was worth more to me than stuff.

I am 38 now and there are still a small handful of US cover variations (that I know of) that I still need. My favorites are the Warner issue of "Howling MAD" and "Self-Made MAD", "MAD Sucks", "Monster MAD", "Invisible MAD", and "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. MAD". I grew up on the Universal and Hammer horror films, so the mix of the 2 have always been my favorites.

That's an amusing hybrid-interest focus. The Signet "Bedside Mad" also has an Egyptian mummy/casket cover.

The foreign books were tricky. The first I had read about them was in Grant's "Collectibly MAD."

That's one of the few Mad-related books I don't own, partly because I am afraid of what would happen if I did: I'd spend even more money than I already do. Grant Geissman's "Foul Play!" book opened up a rabbit hole of collecting that I will probably never extricate myself from.

But...there was no list. Then, I saw a few foreign cover scans on Collectmad.com. It has taken me well over 8 years to just about finish most of my foreign paperback collections.

Cool! What will you do when you finish? Do you anticipate feeling a little sad that the thrill of the hunt is over? Or will you move on to the next hunt?

Believe it or not, most of what I have found was by pure accident and not even through eBay. Eventually I became the "go-to guy" (for lack of a better term) when it came to paperbacks among some of the MAD collectors.

Cool! I am sure you must know the eBay seller "madtothebone." That guy has some of the rarest and most specialized Mad stuff I've seen auctioned....or I should say "had," since he's sold so much of it. I think he bought the contents of the late Mad editor Jerry DeFuccio's estate.

I'd be curious to know how you found foreign paperbacks by accident. Must have been quite some accidents. I did once buy a large lot of Mad paperbacks and foreign issues from somebody on Craigslist, who turned out to work at the same company I did. He gave me a killer deal and I broke even after selling just a few duplicates on eBay.

At last count, there were paperbacks published in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Holland (Netherlands), Hungary, Italy, Japan, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan (bootleg copies), Turkey, and the U.K.

I had no idea about these. I know about the foreign magazine issues but not the paperbacks. Do they tend to have original cover art? Or is much of it recycled from the U.S.? I can't imagine many of the U.S. puns or double-meanings would translate well, such as "A Mad Treasure Chest."

There have been rumors amongst many of the major collectors as to whether paperbacks were published in Greece, but none of us have seen them. Some countries, like Brazil, have taken paperback material and used it as Specials or odd-sized books. Some have even created their own variations of paperbacks by combining cartoons from various sources to make a brand new book.

Good luck finding those -- sounds like quite a challenge. Maybe you'll have to take a vacation in Athens sometime and seek out whatever their equivalent of a large used bookstore (like Powell's) might be... I've done that sort of thing before. When you divert your vacation to search for collectibles, you know you're a fanatic.

I tried to add a photo but I can't figure out how to do it. Any advice or instruction would be appreciated.

My understanding is that you can't add a photo directly; you have to link to a photo that already exists somewhere on the web. The best place to upload photos for free seems to be Photobucket.com. Setting up an account is easy and quick. Once you've uploaded to Photobucket, copy the URL address, then when you're here and writing a message, click on the little image link, and paste the URL into it. I think Flickr also lets you do things like that. You can also post photos if you have your own server/website through GoDaddy or whatever.

I posted about this in the Original Comic Art forum. To see the full explanation as well as numerous photos, go to that forum and do a search for "jaffee."

Meanwhile, here are my two original Al Jaffee fold-ins. He paints the originals with a medium called designer's gauche (a powdery form of watercolor). These are from Mad issues in 2000 and 2004. I'd love to have earlier fold-ins but it would seem they're mostly tied up in people's collections.

cat-jaffee-couch.jpg

I think Jaffee is a genius.

Very cool. I love the fold-ins.

There are several distinct pieces that I remember from my childhood that I would love to own the OA.

*sigh*