Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4449271 - 12/10/10 11:17 PM RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: reading my comics ignoring u
So sad in a house fire Dec 5 he died from smoke inhalation. I am sure all of you can understand why this really makes me sad.

He was not only a muscian but true blue EC fan with a large collection of EC memorabilia

http://valdostadailytimes.com/local/x622290691/Fire-claims-musician-s-life

I guess they are trying to track down what pieces of original art were destroyed in the fire the original for a Graham Ingels story entitled "Drink to me only with Thine Eyes" from HAUNT OF FEAR #24 was apparently destroyed in the fire..

To anyone who knew him I am so sorry to hear about it..a loss for the entire collecting community ..to lose one of our own..
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#4449881 - 12/11/10 11:58 AM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Not*Sure*]
Larryw7 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Philly

#4449928 - 12/11/10 12:19 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Larryw7]
spider9698 Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Boston
Don was a close friend of mine and one of the last of the old-time collectors. We chatted by phone at least twice a week for the past 5-7 years. I had talked to him last on Saturday, the day before he died.

#4450367 - 12/11/10 05:20 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: spider9698]
Marvelfangirl Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: middle of nowhere,TX

#4450812 - 12/11/10 09:03 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Marvelfangirl]
Mutant Manatee Online   offline
Chatzilla

Loc: the distant Barony of Mejis
What a terrible turn of events. Not only has the community lost a well-known EC fan and collector, but Mr. Lineberger's extensive collection of original EC art was also reduced to ashes in the fire. Roger Hill is still compiling a list of what is known to be lost, but here is what has been confirmed so far:

Covers:
Haunt of Fear #19 (two-bladed axeman by Ingels)
Haunt of Fear #25 cover by Ingels
Mad #4 by Harvey Kurtzman
Mad #14 by Harvey Kurtzman
Tales from the Crypt #30 (Prospector being held under water by Jack Davis)
Tales from the Crypt #44 (Gullotine cover by Jack Davis)
Weird Fantasy #20 ("I Rocket" Bradbury cover by Feldstein)
Weird Fantasy #22 (Orlando "The Fossil" cover)
Weird Science #15 (Dinosaur cover by Wood)
Weird Science-Fantasy #24 (Feldstein - planet landscape scene)

Stories:
"Drink to me only with Thine Eyes" - Graham Ingels HOF #24.
EC Fan-Addict Club house ad page by Jack Davis

Obviously the loss of life is the saddest part of this story, but the loss of all that original EC art certainly adds to the tragedy. \:\(

#4450922 - 12/11/10 09:31 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Mutant Manatee]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Isn't it awful MM..I was in the house when mine caught fire..I was lucky..the poor guy..and everyone says he was a very colorful unique person..as well as being a die hard fan..

very sad..
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#4450939 - 12/11/10 09:37 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Not*Sure*]
batman_fan Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CO
Definiely a shame

my Comic Art

batman_fan's feedback thread

My most wanted for Original Artwork Covers. If you have them and wish to let them go, please contact me!

#4451182 - 12/11/10 10:53 PM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Mutant Manatee]
spider9698 Offline

That list is not accurate. Several of those covers have been sold or traded by Don over the past year. Roger and I are working on a complete list.

#4451528 - 12/12/10 02:05 AM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: spider9698]
Not*Sure* Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I think I did read he was in the process of auctioning off via Russ Cochran..but honestly having survived a housefire this yr myself..I feel extra sad for someone who did not survive..I do not know if he had a big family..but from everything I have read he seemed like a nice guy with a big personality and a smile..
those things are more valuable than original art..but the art is a loss too don't get me wrong..

I guess maybe it touched me differently..looking at pictures of his house and seeing similarities..

*Spoon you* I'm eating!

#4451687 - 12/12/10 08:31 AM Re: RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger [Re: Not*Sure*]
spider9698 Offline

Don did not have much of a family. Was married (since divorced) but no children. He viewed his banjos and his art collection as his kids.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1964 Kennedy proofs, wholesale lots. 67's-69's, Stars, Cams, UC's, AH's, etc...
by AHFreak
Today at 12:21 PM
WTB: OGP (no coin) 2008-W 1/4oz mint state Buffalo
by agentjim007
Today at 10:52 AM
Wanted
by darryl f jones
Today at 09:08 AM
FS or Trade: 1921-S Walker, PCGS vf35 CAC $2675
by BAJJERFAN
Today at 08:26 AM
Comics Marketplace
The Walking Dead Raws / Outcast #1 / Invincible / Southern Bastards
by mokie
46 minutes 47 seconds ago
Tales of the Teen Titans #44 SOLD CLOSED
by TJ325
Today at 04:13 PM
Little of Both MARVEL & DC Comics
by igordesign23
Today at 04:07 PM
(2) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY "Key Issue Fan Lots" Marvel Super-Heroes 18 & MORE!
by BronzeBruce13
Today at 04:04 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing