• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,392 posts in this topic

I just posted another 30 scans from this thread onto my site, bringing the total to over 100. I'm sure that page was getting a bit cumbersome to load, so I created thumbnails for all the pics. I think it's much more manageable now. Hope you all like! :hi:

great job of archiving the photos nearmint! :thumbsup:

may i suggest that adding a brief description to the pics like "nyc 1945" or "bob hope 1950" will greatly enhance the enjoyment & fascination of the pictures. thanks.

let's take the wayback machine to a mad world...

in surrey bc canada 1967, i think we caught this kid sneaking a peek at the playboy mag. notice mad 112 is in 3 different places around the playboys. check out the flying saucer mag.

surreybccan1966.jpg

speaking of playboys, do you share & study your comics as intently as these guys from tampa florida (1956)?

tampa11-20-56.jpg

looks like the mad reader paperback in the bottom shelf in a brooklyn center minnesota drugstore in september 1955

brooklynctrminn9-21-55.jpg

madreader54.jpg

reading mad 126 at the university of maryland in 1969

ummad69.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

may i suggest that adding a brief description to the pics like "nyc 1945" or "bob hope 1950" will greatly enhance the enjoyment & fascination of the pictures. thanks.

Yes, as time permits I'll be adding whatever information is known about each photo.

I just posted another 30 scans from this thread onto my site, bringing the total to over 100. I'm sure that page was getting a bit cumbersome to load, so I created thumbnails for all the pics. I think it's much more manageable now. Hope you all like! :hi:

If you've got sigs turned off, here's a link... Vintage Pics with Comics!

:applause: thanks Jeff!

just a few pics today for veterans day...

reading comic after loading cargo aug 1950

reading8-50.jpg

reading capt marvel 45 aboard uss sarsi in the aleutians oct 1945

usssarsialeutians10-45.jpg

reading wotalife 6

wotalife6.jpg

canadian private in korea may 1951

canprivkorea5-28-51.jpg

reading comics in korea 1951

korea1951.jpg

newsstand in camp murray, tacoma washington april 1941. there are pulps but comics are difficult to identify. maybe someone could identify books? maybe a true comics #2?

campmurraytacoma.jpg

how about a few celebrities?

liz taylor in beverly hills 1940

Reading_a_comic_in_bed40s.jpg

stan lee in 1968

stan1968.jpg

newsstand in camp murray, tacoma washington april 1941. there are pulps but comics are difficult to identify. maybe someone could identify books? maybe a true comics #2?

campmurraytacoma.jpg

hard to see Jeff, but Timely-wise, should be a Cap 3 on that rack somewhere. :)

campmurraytacoma.jpg

I wonder if the guy holding the Esquire magazine is buying it for the articles or the Vargas pin-up (or George Petty pin-up) ??

one more pic.

a soldier reading a tarzan comic. is it sparkler?

tarzanbig.jpg

wouldn't you like to go back to 1942 for minute to pick up some old comics like action 45, superman 15 or more fun 76 for under 2 cents each? 100 for $1.95 or 1000 for $19. this is from an ad in the march 14 1942 issue of billboard magazine.

billboardad3-14-42.jpgbbad3-14-42.jpg

one more pic.

a soldier reading a tarzan comic. is it sparkler?

tarzanbig.jpg

It is! Looks like Sparkler Comics #16 from November 1942!

wouldn't you like to go back to 1942 for minute to pick up some old comics like action 45, superman 15 or more fun 76 for under 2 cents each? 100 for $1.95 or 1000 for $19. this is from an ad in the march 14 1942 issue of billboard magazine.

First comic mail order business!?! :o I'd love to have a 1000 comics published on or before 1942 for $19! Couldn't have been much more than 1000 different comics published by then! Okay, I'll take 2000! :devil:

Love these old photos of newstands and comics! Keep em coming! :applause:

one more pic.

SPECTACULAR find. Great work, sir.

one more pic.

SPECTACULAR find. Great work, sir.

that company was a redistributor: they bought in bulk books that never made it to the news stand and sold them to used periodicals dealers.

Edited by comicartcom

a few more photos of kids reading comics...

superman 158 in 1963

MarkComic1963.jpg

reading unknown comic in 1940s

readcomic1940s.jpg

reading red ryder at lake superior 1951

redryderlakesuperior1951.jpg

marvel family 27

marvelfamily.jpg

all star 44 in 1955

allstar1955.jpg

reading unknown comic in june 1943

43.jpg

sad sack 15

sadsack.jpg

mystery in space 60 in 1960

mis60-1960.jpg

family reading goofy 19

GoofyFamily.jpg

a few newsstand pics...

cannon beach oregon 1941. some pulps, popeye 1 (david mckay 1935) and famous funnies. (#89?)

oregon1941.jpgfamousfunnies89.jpgpopeye1935.jpg

i think this pic has been shown before but the image is missing from this thread. it's worth seeing again. from mobile alabama 1948. i'll let you guys have fun identifying the comics. i wouldn't mind having that copy of startling comics 50 (2nd row left, next to little lulu #2). i hope that kid wasn't reading the killers #1. :grin:

mobileala40s.jpg

:applause: More great photos!

a few newsstand pics...

cannon beach oregon 1941. some pulps, popeye 1 (david mckay 1935) and famous funnies. (#89?)

oregon1941.jpgpopeye1935.jpg

Since the Popeye is from 1935, the Famous Funnies should be too. I think it's #13 from Aug 1935. Only one other comic on the stands at that time - anyone see a New Fun #5 (I don't)?

FamFun13.jpg

i think this pic has been shown before but the image is missing from this thread. it's worth seeing again. from mobile alabama 1948. i'll let you guys have fun identifying the comics. i wouldn't mind having that copy of startling comics 50 (2nd row left, next to little lulu #2). i hope that kid wasn't reading the killers #1. :grin:

mobileala40s.jpg

That's one packed newstand! Nice stack of WDC&S (#90, March 1948 BTW)! Wonder what's all hidden in there?