Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#4291926 - 09/28/10 06:38 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: skypinkblu]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
 Originally Posted By: skypinkblu
1. We did not post negatives on the old Kudos thread, it was only positive....same as these.

2. Ebay is frustrating because only a buyer can post something negative, here, ANYONE can, but in the probation discussion thread in a place where it's readily visible to all, instead of hidden in an individual thread..

I wonder a lot about telling our hosts that we don't want to be regulated...as far as I am concerned, I'm a guest. I join the society to help, but it's their board, their rules...and I think they do a very good job...(and I'm not posting this in the Arch kudos thread, I like Torchy's cloud but I'm perfectly happy;)

Actually Sharon, let me correct one thing, it is THEY who told us they didn't want to regulate -- they didn't want (understandably) that responsibility. You gotta be all in or all out. Not this half way stuff which solves nothing but creates more issues.

Generally, I do think they do a good job. There have been many questionable calls over the years in terms of judgment by them that I would call -- well, poor. But that being said, given the volume of stuff they need to wade through and the amount that they have to do (regulation of the boards is not some primary job) I think they do it well. However, where I have taken up an issue with them is when they start to think their decision making is somehow bullet proof and makes perfect sense. This is an example where a bad decision was made because it wasn't thought all the way through. That's become more evident with each passing day of its existence.

Forum only selling notice

GENERAL PUBLIC SERVICE NOTICE ON POSTING GUIDELINES

Note that the members of this board are encouraged to POLITELY point out posts that violate the marketplace posting guidelines, and to notify the moderators.

Thread starters: If you disagree that the guidelines have been violated and have reasons, then take it to the discussion thread and hash it out there. But please take the time to read the guidelines.

A probation list for bad transactions is maintained by the community. You are still responsible for your own transactions.

#4292115 - 09/28/10 07:40 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: comicdonna]
trmoore54 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Southern California
 Originally Posted By: comicdonna
 Originally Posted By: Foolkiller

If you're going to really have an honest feedback system, allow people to post both negative and positive comments in people's threads. Not just "kudos". The probation list is for the "really bad" but instead of meaningless stuff that gives little credible information, let's have a totally honest feedback option -- I'd be curious how many people would like to see that.
I have to agree with Brian here.

CAUTION!
Example neutral/negative commentary ahead...

OK Brian...your grading SUCKS!
Is that what we're after?

#4292140 - 09/28/10 07:46 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: trmoore54]
trmoore54 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Frankly I'm not going to leave negative feedback around here...for the following reasons...unless it's an obvious Shill or Crook and then that doesn't really count because 99.9% of the members will run the person off anyway...

1. All problems should be worked out via PM. I was taught to try and work things out, not to air your dirty laundry. Most threads that shoot first around here anyway ALMOST ALWAYS end badly, and rightly so.

2. Most issues are fairly minor and this is not life and death here. So a Seller effed up and had a book up for sale that you bought and paid for and then were told that, sorry, I mistakenly sold the book to someone else. Not my criteria for a meltdown...

3. And finally, you could have a fairly legitimate issue but you run the risk of the person's cronies, especially if they are an entrenched veteran, jumping down your throat. As Sharon says, many people here, I'd like to think myself included, if we don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. Another piece of manners I learned as well...I save my vitriol for the real doosh-bags...

2c

Edited by trmoore54 (09/28/10 07:48 PM)

#4292188 - 09/28/10 07:58 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: trmoore54]
bomber-bob Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Western Suburbs of Chicago
 Originally Posted By: trmoore54
Frankly I'm not going to leave negative feedback around here...for the following reasons...unless it's an obvious Shill or Crook and then that doesn't really count because 99.9% of the members will run the person off anyway...

1. All problems should be worked out via PM. I was taught to try and work things out, not to air your dirty laundry. Most threads that shoot first around here anyway ALMOST ALWAYS end badly, and rightly so.

2. Most issues are fairly minor and this is not life and death here. So a Seller effed up and had a book up for sale that you bought and paid for and then were told that, sorry, I mistakenly sold the book to someone else. Not my criteria for a meltdown...

3. And finally, you could have a fairly legitimate issue but you run the risk of the person's cronies, especially if they are an entrenched veteran, jumping down your throat. As Sharon says, many people here, I'd like to think myself included, if we don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. Another piece of manners I learned as well...I save my vitriol for the real doosh-bags...

2c

Tom, well said and I agree with all your points. Especially the life and death issue,
it's true how bent out of shape we get about a comic book transaction. However,
with your points in mind, why have a kudos thread at all ? It's useless.

#4292239 - 09/28/10 08:13 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: bomber-bob]
trmoore54 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I think it could be beneficial...primarily, as expressed by others, for Newbs trying to learn who's bona-fide. For all of us who pretty much "know" each other, notsomuch...but it's still quite nice and flattering for people to reinforce that you're doing a good job as a reputable buyer or seller...

And leave the PMing and Probation Thread for negs...that's the way I see it...not the end-all be-all, but of some legitimate usefulness...

#4292492 - 09/28/10 09:56 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: trmoore54]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD

If you're going to really have an honest feedback system, allow people to post both negative and positive comments in people's threads. Not just "kudos". The probation list is for the "really bad" but instead of meaningless stuff that gives little credible information, let's have a totally honest feedback option -- I'd be curious how many people would like to see that.

CAUTION!

Actually, this and the points you make below are perfect illustrations of why we ought not do a kudos thread or this broken apart thread either. There's no need for people to pat each other on the back. The genesis, as I recall the kudos thread, was that people started these individual threads to praise certain people and transactions. That overflowed and so instead of cluttering general, we started a "kudos" thread. This kudos thread then morphed into feedback.

Kudos was never intended, as Sharon notes above, to be a thread where we gave it for every sale. By breaking it apart into individual threads, it is now, in essence, a feedback thread. If you're going to do a feedback thread, the only way it has effectiveness is if people are free to say, i don't like so and so's grading etc. Or, I found this to be inaccurate, or the packing wasn't right.

Most problems are indeed resolved privately. The kudos system is another name for feedback, which is totally unnecessary. The idea behind the marketplace is that it's self policing. The only "exposure" that's needed to be brought to light is the probation list.

Other than that, it just becomes meaningless fluff.

Now that being said, we're just arguing over clutter v. non clutter so in some ways, this is really a pointless discussion too.

#4292503 - 09/28/10 10:02 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: Foolkiller]
comicdonna Offline

This is what my dog thinks of your post.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Green Mountain state!

CAUTION!

Actually, this and the points you make below are perfect illustrations of why we ought not do a kudos thread or this broken apart thread either. There's no need for people to pat each other on the back. The genesis, as I recall the kudos thread, was that people started these individual threads to praise certain people and transactions. That overflowed and so instead of cluttering general, we started a "kudos" thread. This kudos thread then morphed into feedback.

Kudos was never intended, as Sharon notes above, to be a thread where we gave it for every sale. By breaking it apart into individual threads, it is now, in essence, a feedback thread. If you're going to do a feedback thread, the only way it has effectiveness is if people are free to say, i don't like so and so's grading etc. Or, I found this to be inaccurate, or the packing wasn't right.

Most problems are indeed resolved privately. The kudos system is another name for feedback, which is totally unnecessary. The idea behind the marketplace is that it's self policing. The only "exposure" that's needed to be brought to light is the probation list.

Now that being said, we're just arguing over clutter v. non clutter so in some ways, this is really a pointless discussion too.
Well, the discussion won't be pointless if this gets changed to feedback threads instead of kudos threads. \(thumbs u

#4292529 - 09/28/10 10:17 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: comicdonna]
trmoore54 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

CAUTION!

Well, the discussion won't be pointless if this gets changed to feedback threads instead of kudos threads. \(thumbs u

You could change it to Feedback Forum tonite in lieu of Kudos Forum and I don't think much would change the insular psychology that exists here...I say insular in a non-judgemental way and more in a definitive way...Shaky/shady members that have a sketchy track-record here won't even start a Feedback Thread, for fear someone actually calls them out...etc...

Just had a funny thought...people starting faux threads for people and posting it thataway...now that might be pretty funny... \(\:

#4292541 - 09/28/10 10:25 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: trmoore54]
comicdonna Offline

This is what my dog thinks of your post.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Green Mountain state!

CAUTION!

You could change it to Feedback Forum tonite in lieu of Kudos Forum and I don't think much would change the insular psychology that exists here...I say insular in a non-judgemental way and more in a definitive way...Shaky/shady members that have a sketchy track-record here won't even start a Feedback Thread, for fear someone actually calls them out...etc...

Just had a funny thought...people starting faux threads for people and posting it thataway...now that might be pretty funny... \(\:
I feel it would change things. The "shady" people would tighten up some. BTW, I wasn't aware that you couldn't start a thread for someone else. I remember in the early stages of planning, Arch mentioned it either way. I started a thread for a 0 post count person. He now has 2 posts. In his feedback thread and in mine!

#4292554 - 09/28/10 10:35 PM Re: Ok - let's lock things down to real transactions please. [Re: Foolkiller]
Architecht Administrator Offline

We apologise again for the fault in the moderation. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

It's POSSIBLE that your competitive spirit has displaced your sense of courtesy.

Pedigreed

Loc: Chicago area

Kudos was never intended, as Sharon notes above, to be a thread where we gave it for every sale. (snip)

Quote:
OFFICIAL KUDOS THREAD FOR EVERYONE
BronzeBruce13
The Bronze Godfather

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: South Jersey -or- Gliese 581D
OFFICIAL KUDOS THREAD FOR EVERYONE!

The purpose of this thread was to thank everyone here on the forum I've done business with since I don't recall ever starting a thread here doing so. Although I appreciate the kind words, I didn't intend for the thread to be about me.. its about you guys!!!

Anyway, since Arch was kind enough to "stick this thread" to the top... (probably because he thought it was intended to be a "Kudos Thread in general for ALL forum members to offer positive feedback for one another")... I edited the initial post to encourage forumites to offer feedback for ANY other forumite they feel is deserving of praise.

from here on in... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO OFFER KUDOS TO ANY FORUMITE YOU'VE DONE BUSINESS WITH RECENTLY YOU FEEL DESERVES SOME RECOGNITION!

Quote:

Re: OFFICIAL KUDOS THREAD FOR EVERYONE
BronzeBruce13

The Bronze Godfather

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: South Jersey -or- Gliese 581D

The Mystery is revealed.. Our friend Andrew had an idea...

...As for the thread being tacked to the top of the marketplace, I pm'd Arch with the idea. I figured it could be used as unofficial positive feedback for the forum, to show newbies or people hesitating to deal outside of Ebay that there are honest people on here, and to dispel all the negativity that tends to be on these boards.
AK

Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations.- Marcus Aurelius -Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  cgcmod4, Gemma, cgcmod3, cgcmod7, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod2, plitch, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Budget Kitchens London
by rakpenak
10:57 PM
WTB: Junk Silver
by ChasingKingKirby
10:54 AM
New @ kittlecoins.com - Type Coins; Lovett Tokens; Copper Wilson Dollar; Commems
by illini420
10/29/14 10:08 PM
PROOF 70 COINS FOR SALE
by wmfielding
10/28/14 09:58 AM
Comics Marketplace
ASM 361 , 362 , 363 Mexican Version
by Mijael77
01:03 AM
Moondog's Halloween Sale - Pre-Code Horror and EC's!
by Moondog
12:40 AM
Ms. Marvel No. 1 - 48-hour auction ending 11/1 @ 10:00 p.m. ET - CLOSED!
by smithdatura
10:13 PM
SOLD! Mystery Tales # 19 Atlas CGC 5.5 Universal Off White-White Pages
by eccomic
09:29 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum Aspen Titles