• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, you mugs, gimme the lowdown on Pre-Code Crime
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Good as in gory?? Then, no. The cover is horror flavored but the stories are plain flatfoot stories. Thank goodness, Ken has an assistant otherwise, it's run of the mill safe Quality stories. The art is above average, probably Chuck Cuidera assisting Crandall and one story by Cole as well.

Here's the splash to the cover story -

1024517-KenShannon3Story1s.jpg

Yeah...what Scrooge said. :shy:

The horror tinged Shannon stories are wrapped up by taking the supernatural element and proving it to be a hoax. The same type of thing that Scooby Doo would do so well about 20 years later. :insane:

Best....and I mean Best story that Toth ever did is contained in this book... "The Crushed Gardenia". Classic....Classic....Classic.

http://

It's definitely in my Toth Top5 but there are a few other equally amazing stories from Toth like "Thunderjet", "White Devil/Yellow or "Burma Sky". All of them are well-worth reading for anyone wanting to understand what the comics medium is capable of.

Good as in gory?? Then, no. The cover is horror flavored but the stories are plain flatfoot stories. Thank goodness, Ken has an assistant otherwise, it's run of the mill safe Quality stories. The art is above average, probably Chuck Cuidera assisting Crandall and one story by Cole as well.

I enjoyed the story -- solid art and a nice little mystery but tastefully handled rather than gory.

Best....and I mean Best story that Toth ever did is contained in this book... "The Crushed Gardenia". Classic....Classic....Classic.

http://

It's definitely in my Toth Top5 but there are a few other equally amazing stories from Toth like "Thunderjet", "White Devil/Yellow or "Burma Sky". All of them are well-worth reading for anyone wanting to understand what the comics medium is capable of.

True - but "Crushed Gardenia" is likely his best crime story.

1024517-KenShannon3Story1s.jpg

Thanks. I like it. Classic 50s cliched pulpy hardboiled noir.

It's on my wantlist already though. As a Cole fan I am used to amazing covers and lackluster interiors, so anything decent between the wrapper is icing on the cake.

Shhhh ... no one needs to know about Crime Mysteries. :sumo: ... until I get mine

Crime Mysteries is an awful title - dull stories, poor artwork, a collector's nightmare. I laugh at people who collect it. It's embarrassing. Dont buy it. Buy Lassie instead.

NOOOOOO ... not Lassie, my run isn't complete either. Let them collect Little Iodine.

Maybe my interests are too far ranging :insane:

Were those your only issues? Love the # 3 which is a swipe from a Spicy pulp.

Shhhh ... no one needs to know about Crime Mysteries. :sumo: ... until I get mine

Crime Mysteries is an awful title - dull stories, poor artwork, a collector's nightmare. I laugh at people who collect it. It's embarrassing. Dont buy it. Buy Lassie instead.

NOOOOOO ... not Lassie, my run isn't complete either. Let them collect Little Iodine.

IIRC, the cover to 3 is early work from Romita.

IIRC, the cover to 3 is early work from Romita.

I like Perfect Crime.

3845469216_7b578d3286.jpg

KenShannon645.jpg

My favourite Ken Shannon cover (anyone got a better copy to show?)

I love the horror cross-overs like this! :applause:

I sold my #2 a while back. I had #1 and #4 but sold those a couple of years ago.

[HEALTH WARNING; COLLECTING CRIME MYSTERIES OR LASSIE COMICS WILL DAMAGE SCROOGE'S HEALTH - COLLECT FUNNY ANIMAL COMICS INSTEAD!]