• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
9 9

1,270 posts in this topic

:hi:

I am constantly on the hunt for Mad 30-80 Gaines File Copies and let's just say it is slim pickings right now in the marketplace. Actually, it has been this way for the last 3 years and counting on these books. But I do love them, they are such a part of Americana.

I wish the values in OSPG was better for these books. I hope demand brings them up since there are people who do collect them on here :wishluck: .

I don't know if it's a storage issue or what but there are very few collectors of magazines. Mad, Vampirella, etc just don't command the value to make them slab worthy. I think if HOTFLIPS finally gets a 4 mil mylar for magazine sized slabs the market will pick up !!!! :baiting:

I wish the values in OSPG was better for these books. I hope demand brings them up since there are people who do collect them on here :wishluck: .

I don't know if it's a storage issue or what but there are very few collectors of magazines. Mad, Vampirella, etc just don't command the value to make them slab worthy. I think if HOTFLIPS finally gets a 4 mil mylar for magazine sized slabs the market will pick up !!!! :baiting:

I think because CGC didn't have slabs for them till now. Next they need to do is Treasury Size and all will be right in the world :cloud9: .

I think because CGC didn't have slabs for them till now. Next they need to do is Treasury Size and all will be right in the world

----------

slabbed magazines are of an unmanageable size. i have no problem with regular size magazines as they fit just fine in a magazine size box, which most comic shops tend to carry because many GA books and some SA doesn't fit in a regular box anyway. i prefer magazine boxes.

Here's my #1, which is one of the first books I had slabbed. I purchased it as a VG/F on eBay for a song. Shows how much that site has regressed. These days, many sellers would call it NM.

Mad175ow.jpg

You should send them to CGC to be re-slabbed and :wishluck: you might get a upgrade in the grade because I think all of your books are nice.

Here's my #1, which is one of the first books I had slabbed. I purchased it as a VG/F on eBay for a song. Shows how much that site has regressed. These days, many sellers would call it NM.

Fantastic copy! I am sure you could get much more than a song for that now. Probably a whole iPod's worth of songs...

Okay, so let me get the ball rolling on some of my favorite foreign Mad issues. These are from my collection. First, here are some foreign #1 copies:

mad-foreign-number1.jpg

Starting from the upper left and going clockwise, that's the Great Britain #1, the Netherlands #1, the Turkey #1, and the Argentina #1.

(Just got the French #1 on eBay, and it's supposedly in the mail from Europe. Can't wait to get it!)

Here are two of my favorite foreign issues in a sequence together. The one on the left is German issue #83. The one on the right is Argentina #1. (This cover concept was based on a Mad article that showed the aftermath of various Mad covers -- I can't remember which issue this was, but it fascinated me when I was a kid, and I longed to enter an alternative reality where such issues existed. Little did I know, they did in fact exist with foreign issues.)

mad-shark-sequence.jpg