• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,389 posts in this topic

those kids are the attendees of the first New York Comic-Con in 1943

I think Howard Rogofsky and his wife are at right, Phil Seuling is sitting in the middle and Robert Bell is on the left. Leonard Brown didn't make teh picture.. he couldn't get away from his chores that afternoon

i found a really fascinating newsstand picture dated november 23 1936. the woman is reaching for the first issue of life magazine (dated 11/23/36, price 10 cents) which was reintroduced as a weekly photojournalism magazine.

lifemag11-23-36.jpg

notice in the row above the life magazine are a series of comic books. this photo captures an interesting pre-superhero moment in time when several titles were just starting and a few that were in transition. i was able to identify almost all of the comics starting with the mickey mouse magazine located above the woman's hand. the books are (left to right starting from the mickey mouse):

mickey mouse mag v2#3(15), More Fun v2#4(16), Funny Picture Stories v1#2, Tip Top 8, Funny Pages v1#6, King Comics 9,

th_mickeymousemagv2-3.jpgmorefun16.jpgfunnypictstoriesv1n2.jpgtiptop8.jpgfunnypagesv1-6.jpgking9.jpg

i think a board member owns this copy of mickey mouse (scan from price guide)

New Comics 11, The Funnies 3, Popular Comics 11, Detective Picture Stories 1, ???, Famous Funnies 29.

new11.jpgfunnies3.jpgpopular11.jpgdetpicstories1.jpgff29.jpg

i wasn't able to identify the book underneath the famous funnies, but i think it's a comic with the letter C peeking out. maybe someone here can identify it.

all of the books have a publication date of december 1936 except for funny pages which was november 1936. it is interesting to note that the books appear on the racks about week before the publication date compared with the 2 month lead time a few years later.

i read that new comics 11 contains an ad for detective 1 but it was delayed and didn't come out until march 1937. can someone confirm the ad? i believe i saw a copy of new comics 11 in ferdelance's pics of dealer wall books (guy rose?).

1948 Comic Book Collection in Washington DC Press Photo zae979.jpg

I love this pic. Looks like the book are in great shape. Over his right shoulder, you can see New York World's Fair 1940.

His collection goes back quite a few years. He's holding Famous Funnies #17 from December 1935.

This kid could very well still be alive. Based on the photo, he'd be 75-76 years old.

Too late. That's Davis Crippen.

I love this pic. Looks like the book are in great shape. Over his right shoulder, you can see New York World's Fair 1940.

His collection goes back quite a few years. He's holding Famous Funnies #17 from December 1935.

This kid could very well still be alive. Based on the photo, he'd be 75-76 years old.

hm didn't know that

How many kids from that era coming out of a depression/war, etc would be lucky enough to have that kind of collection, not many I'm sure. Wow what a stack of books.

i found a really fascinating newsstand picture dated november 23 1936. the woman is reaching for the first issue of life magazine (dated 11/23/36, price 10 cents) which was reintroduced as a weekly photojournalism magazine.

lifemag11-23-36.jpg

notice in the row above the life magazine are a series of comic books. this photo captures an interesting pre-superhero moment in time when several titles were just starting and a few that were in transition. i was able to identify almost all of the comics starting with the mickey mouse magazine located above the woman's hand. the books are (left to right starting from the mickey mouse):

mickey mouse mag v2#3(15), More Fun v2#4(16), Funny Picture Stories v1#2, Tip Top 8, Funny Pages v1#6, King Comics 9,

th_mickeymousemagv2-3.jpgmorefun16.jpgfunnypictstoriesv1n2.jpgtiptop8.jpgfunnypagesv1-6.jpgking9.jpg

New Comics 11, The Funnies 3, Popular Comics 11, Detective Picture Stories 1, ???, Famous Funnies 29.

i wasn't able to identify the book underneath the famous funnies, but i think it's a comic with the letter C peeking out. maybe someone here can identify it.

all of the books have a publication date of december 1936 except for funny pages which was november 1936. it is interesting to note that the books appear on the racks about week before the publication date compared with the 2 month lead time a few years later.

i read that new comics 11 contains an ad for detective 1 but it was delayed and didn't come out until march 1937. can someone confirm the ad? i believe i saw a copy of new comics 11 in ferdelance's pics of dealer wall books (guy rose?).

nice Jeff..if only that was from 1938/39 :cool:

lifemag11-23-36.jpg

This is a truly unbelievable photo! Especially for a 1930's collector like me. :cloud9:

The most amazing part is this image contains all the comics that would've been on the newstand at that time (just missed Wow #4)! Thanks for posting! :applause:

scrooge- thanks for pointing out the popular comics.

primetime- these low-res pics are the best i could find for your dates...

new york city 1938

nyc1938.jpg

milwaukee 1939

milwaukee1939.jpg

you'll have to imagine the early actions & pre-robin detectives are out of camera range...

but i'll keep looking!

scrooge- thanks for pointing out the popular comics.

primetime- these low-res pics are the best i could find for your dates...

new york city 1938

nyc1938.jpg

milwaukee 1939

milwaukee1939.jpg

you'll have to imagine the early actions & pre-robin detectives are out of camera range...

but i'll keep looking!

thanks Jeff! keep posting 'em! Seems like the wooden clothes pin was a common thing to use to display comics on a rack...I'll remember that next time I see a color rub on a top edge of a book.

everytime i find an old photo with comics, i get as much of a thrill as finding a gem in the bargain bins except there is no strain or stress on my knees or back from digging. plus the cost is almost nothing and i can share with everyone. i thought most of the interesting comic photos have been shown but i keep finding them. here is a pic of a toronto canada newsstand at st andrews & spadina from sept 9 1938.

toronto9-9-38.jpg

on newsstand door middle comic 2nd row from bottom, super comics 5, next to it, cowboy comics v1#14 and bottom row left dell's 1000 jokes (single panel cartoons, aug 1938 issue?).

super5.jpgcowboycomicsv1-14.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

everytime i find an old photo with comics, i get as much of a thrill as finding a gem in the bargain bins except there is no strain or stress on my knees or back from digging. plus the cost is almost nothing and i can share with everyone. i thought most of the interesting comic photos have been shown but i keep finding them. here is a pic of a toronto canada newsstand at st andrews & spadina from sept 9 1938.

toronto9-9-38.jpg

on newsstand door middle comic 2nd row from bottom, super comics 5, next to it, cowboy comics v1#14 and bottom row left dell's 1000 jokes (single panel cartoons, aug 1938 issue?).

super5.jpgcowboycomicsv1-14.jpg

nice Jeff! keep 'em coming! Sept '38 would have been Action # 6 time :cool:

how about a more recent picture? here's canadian dealer doug sulipa reading fantastic four 1 on jan 22 1977. in the foreground is wdc&s 1, x-men 1, crime suspenstories 20, hulk 1, green lantern 1, spirit 1, amazing spiderman 1, avengers 1, superboy 1 & conan 1. i'm not able to identify the other books. try to imagine what is in those other stacks...

sulipa1-22-77.jpg

how about a more recent picture? here's canadian dealer doug sulipa reading fantastic four 1 on jan 22 1977. in the foreground is wdc&s 1, x-men 1, crime suspenstories 20, hulk 1, green lantern 1, spirit 1, amazing spiderman 1, avengers 1, superboy 1 & conan 1. i'm not able to identify the other books. try to imagine what is in those other stacks...

sulipa1-22-77.jpg

Great pic. What an aladdin's cave....