• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Bronze keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1970 to 1979.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Hmmm, I wouldn't put my $1,000 into Bronze but if that is the only option:

Incredible Hulk 8.5 (9.0 if you get a lucky deal)

Or

X-men 94 9.2

If you want to get 2 books:

Conan 1 9.0/9.2 and a IH 181 8.0

Or

Conan 1 9.0/9.2 and Cerebus 1 7.5

Those are my thoughts.

Hmm interesting.

I wonder what Copper age books have some staying/growing power..

Maybe the BillS run of New Mutants?

lol, Maybe my run of The Elementals will finally be worth something?

when i read this i thought what can you buy for $1000 in the bronze age now a days. its getting to the point that $2000 wont buy any high grade keys. i only buy high grade so a vg copy of hulk #181 has no appeal to me.

so if you dont mind, lets take a look at some of the 'lesser' comics we can buy. since were waiting for 5 years and assuming the comic market doesnt crash you can really have some fun speculating on some ignored books. you can purchase a good amount graded or you can buy a tonne of them raw for $1000.

some of my purchases would be

1st issue special #8

warlord #1

conan #24 & #23 second

conan neal adams issues

firestorm #1

eman #1

chilling adventures in sorcery #1

all marvel .35¢ & .35¢ variants

anything kirby

amazing spider-man #135,136,161,162,176-180,194

gs spiderman #4

all high grade horror comics

theres a lot more lesser books you could but high grade keys for $1000 in the bronze age is getting very rare.

So if even I could buy the best graded Hulk 181 I could get for $1000, the holy grail of the bronze age, it still wouldn`t go up much in 5 years, so really these bronze age comic books are maybe mediocre investments at best and your better off buying stocks/bonds or gold/silver metal with the thousand. Very interesting indeed. ;)

when i read this i thought what can you buy for $1000 in the bronze age now a days. its getting to the point that $2000 wont buy any high grade keys. i only buy high grade so a vg copy of hulk #181 has no appeal to me.

so if you dont mind, lets take a look at some of the 'lesser' comics we can buy. since were waiting for 5 years and assuming the comic market doesnt crash you can really have some fun speculating on some ignored books. you can purchase a good amount graded or you can buy a tonne of them raw for $1000.

some of my purchases would be

1st issue special #8

warlord #1

conan #24 & #23 second

conan neal adams issues

firestorm #1

eman #1

chilling adventures in sorcery #1

all marvel .35¢ & .35¢ variants

anything kirby

amazing spider-man #135,136,161,162,176-180,194

gs spiderman #4

all high grade horror comics

theres a lot more lesser books you could but high grade keys for $1000 in the bronze age is getting very rare.

the variants would be my pick just because they are scarcer but I don`t think a $1000 will get many.

Hmmm, I wouldn't put my $1,000 into Bronze but if that is the only option:

Incredible Hulk 8.5 (9.0 if you get a lucky deal)

Or

X-men 94 9.2

If you want to get 2 books:

Conan 1 9.0/9.2 and a IH 181 8.0

Or

Conan 1 9.0/9.2 and Cerebus 1 7.5

Those are my thoughts.

Assuming you mean Hulk #181... (shrug)

I think a 9.0 can be had for $1,000.

Edited by AGGIEZ

I still think the Star Wars movies have some life in them. If the movie franchise gets another boost, buying a few 9.8 copies of #1 may work out.

I agree that it would be best to look outside the Bronze, but if my only option were bronze, this would be my pick.

I think it's funny everyone is basically talking about Marvels, but nobody mentioned DCs?

Want BA that will hold its value? Go for Neal Adams Batman books. Clear winners still.

one step ahead of you, FK. (thumbs u

I think it's funny everyone is basically talking about Marvels, but nobody mentioned DCs?

Want BA that will hold its value? Go for Neal Adams Batman books. Clear winners still.

although not really keys, i like those adams conans too. cheaper and not many issues but a nice long termer. basically if its neal adams and its the 1970s it seems a good bet. cant wait those copies of planet of vampires are going make me a fortune :whee:

That's like Batman 200-255, isn't it? Is that his whole run?

Edited by sl4ppy

For that $1,000, try to find a Hero For Hire #1 with nice cover registration in cgc 9.6

WOW, the 2010 prices on that book are all over the map! 3 sales, $475, $850 and $2,500... :ohnoez: