• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,086 posts in this topic

I think that it is about time that we began a club devoted to one of the most beloved runs in the history of the Golden Age; the famous "Pre-Robin Tec" run.

Detective Comics #27-37...

*Your copy: how did you get it?

*Where did you get it from?

*Why did you get it?

*What kind of condition is it in?

*Stories behind the book.

*Interested in picking up a copy?

*Interested in picking up another copy?

Pretty much anything that you can think of related to the Pre-Robin Tec run is fair game. (thumbs u

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

I think that it is about time that we began a club devoted to one of the most beloved runs in the history of the Golden Age; the famous "Pre-Robin Tec" run.

Detective Comics #27-37...

*Your copy: how did you get it?

*Where did you get it from?

*Why did you get it?

*What kind of condition is it in?

*Stories behind the book.

*Interested in picking up a copy?

*Interested in picking up another copy?

Pretty much anything that you can think of related to the Pre-Robin Tec run is fair game. (thumbs u

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

Have you checked with CGC that they actually got rid of the mice before sealing the slab ... cause if the mice are still in there in the holder then they probably wont stop chewing the book? :jokealert:

Congrats! Great book - on of a kind copy of a great milestone ...

Yes another Pre Robin Tec thread but it's interesting to give insight about a book or books in question...

I will start with these books:

The first copy shown I bought from Metropolis around the year 2000...

I remember seeing it on-line using a friends computer as I didn't have one myself at the time..

I remember taking down notes from the description of the book and was going to phone them the next day ready to order the book..

This copy is complete and displays very well with great cover qualities...

The cover is completely split repaired with tape..

File0019.jpg

This next copy I lucked out a bit to say the least..

Way back in the late 90's I purchased a coverless copy of a Tec #36 from someone who was selling in Comics Buyers Guide..A complete but coverless copy was nice to have!

About two years ago a Tec #36 Front and Back cover only surfaced on E-bay...

I did win it and Married the cover with my coverless copy...

A rare chance to find a cover only Pre Robin Tec is amazing....

File0015.jpg

I don't have any pre-Robins, but I'm just happy the GA forum is finally starting some clubs up. :banana:

How 'bout a CannotAffordATec27Club? TooBrokeForAPreRobinTecClub? :cry:

now there's a club I could join. :cry:

Alright, another thread on pre-Robin 'Tecs! Yay!

calling sacentaur...

I think Detective33kid is excited about owning his Tec 33, I still enjoy reading about board members who still get a kick out of owning a grail/key book.

calling sacentaur...

Well, if you insist... lol

100_1615.jpg

Detective 31 - picked up this copy within the past few years in a trade with a good friend (local collector). It has slight professional restoration, but near white pages and presents very well in my humble opinion.

Detective 35 - obtained this nearly three decades ago out of an ad from The Comics Buyers Guide. Wonderful colors and great pages, but the top staple was popped so I had it re-attached. So again, slight professional restoration but another copy that I think presents very well.

Love 'em both! :cloud9::cloud9:

calling sacentaur...

I think Detective33kid is excited about owning his Tec 33, I still enjoy reading about board members who still get a kick out of owning a grail/key book.

+1

Bought this copy about a month or 2 back, i never thought id actually get one of these so im very happy

It has restoration but if it looked like this and wasnt restored i would not be able to afford the front cover lol

detectivecomics6-3-201063353PM.jpg

calling sacentaur...

100_1615.jpg

Detective 31 - picked up this copy within the past few years in a trade with a good friend (local collector). It has slight professional restoration, but near white pages and presents very well in my humble opinion.

Detective 35 - obtained this nearly three decades ago out of an ad from The Comics Buyers Guide. Wonderful colors and great pages, but the top staple was popped so I had it re-attached. So again, slight professional restoration but another copy that I think presents very well.

(worship)

Holy Cow! Incredible books! :cloud9:

Yes another Pre Robin Tec thread but it's interesting to give insight about a book or books in question...

I will start with these books:

The first copy shown I bought from Metropolis around the year 2000...

I remember seeing it on-line using a friends computer as I didn't have one myself at the time..

I remember taking down notes from the description of the book and was going to phone them the next day ready to order the book..

This copy is complete and displays very well with great cover qualities...

The cover is completely split repaired with tape..

File0019.jpg

This next copy I lucked out a bit to say the least..

Way back in the late 90's I purchased a coverless copy of a Tec #36 from someone who was selling in Comics Buyers Guide..A complete but coverless copy was nice to have!

About two years ago a Tec #36 Front and Back cover only surfaced on E-bay...

I did win it and Married the cover with my coverless copy...

A rare chance to find a cover only Pre Robin Tec is amazing....

File0015.jpg

Both beautiful copies!

Although I have my suspicions that you might have another Pre-Robin Tec or two of some possible significance. hm

I believe I remember that loose Tec #36 cover from eBay; had it on my radar but never managed to make a move on it for whatever reason. Don't remember for sure.

calling sacentaur...

Thanks for the support. (thumbs u

And "excited" would be an understatement.

I've owned some amazing coverless/incomplete books over the years but before now...owning a book of Tec #33's caliber with at least a front cover has been nothing short of a dream. :cloud9:

calling sacentaur...

100_1615.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the reasons I have a feeling that I'm going to love this thread. People often talk about these books but I'm just as interested in learning about the history behind both the issues themselves and the specific copies collectors have managed to acquire.

There are often stories to be told; we're already beginning to read some of them and I find people's enthusiasm to be contagious.

Both of your copies are beautiful and present VERY well. I especially love your #31. Great to hear that you've managed to hold onto your #35 for so long as well. We often see the same copies circulate between auction houses and eBay so it's nice to see an owner hold onto a treasure like that for so many years. (thumbs u

calling sacentaur...

100_1615.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the reasons I have a feeling that I'm going to love this thread. People often talk about these books but I'm just as interested in learning about the history behind both the issues themselves and the specific copies collectors have managed to acquire.

There are often stories to be told; we're already beginning to read some of them and I find people's enthusiasm to be contagious.

Both of your copies are beautiful and present VERY well. I especially love your #31. Great to hear that you've managed to hold onto your #35 for so long as well. We often see the same copies circulate between auction houses and eBay so it's nice to see an owner hold onto a treasure like that for so many years. (thumbs u

+1

Left with just 4 at the minute, but will be 5 later this year

Most recent purchase, and took me a little while to pay off, Rare unrestored book, I doubtI will ever own a better copy.

Tec2855.jpg

Had this copy for a few months now,

Tec32cgc.jpg

Love this book, very difficult to pry out of Gator's hands and a pedigree to boot.

detective36Crippencgc45.jpg

And last but not least this book, last second bid on a whim at heritage, 3rd unrestored copy I've owned so far.

lf-1.jpg

Just another one this year to arrive soon, hopefully will be able to pick it up when I fly to the the NY comic con later this year

Left with just 4 at the minute, but will be 5 later this year

Most recent purchase, and took me a little while to pay off, Rare unrestored book, I doubtI will ever own a better copy.

Tec2855.jpg

Had this copy for a few months now,

Tec32cgc.jpg

Love this book, very difficult to pry out of Gator's hands and a pedigree to boot.

detective36Crippencgc45.jpg

And last but not least this book, last second bid on a whim at heritage, 3rd unrestored copy I've owned so far.

lf-1.jpg

Just another one this year to arrive soon, hopefully will be able to pick it up when I fly to the the NY comic con later this year

:o(worship):o(worship)

Great, just great books! :applause: