Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#4118679 - 07/02/10 03:25 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: shadroch]
ComicConnoisseur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: BOSTON STRONG
First obligation should be only to one`s family and one`s self. ;\)

#4118711 - 07/02/10 03:38 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: arexcrooke]
skypinkblu Offline

I'm just the coordinator. Just?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Somewhere over the Rainbow
We are a board full of collectors, we know where to look things up, or who to ask.

When I came to this board, I had a few books from a friend that were apparently quite rare. He had asked me to sell them for him.

I did try to look them up, but the only places I knew to look was on Ebay or in an Overstreet guide and- Google, never realized there were other venues, I just was not that sophisticated. The prices were way under the true value in the Overstreet Guide, and there were no sales on Ebay, no hits on Google. I asked a few people, but they had no experience with the titles.

I'm not exactly stupid, but I was not that educated in obscure titles and it just didn't click that there were no comparisons because the items were so rare. I had no experience with rare comics.

I sold them to a "collector" who told me what they were "worth". I accepted their assessment. I found later that the prices I got for my friend, were most probably way under what the true value was.

I if I had a clue, I would have started a thread asking, of course I had no clue, LOL.

In my case, the money did not really affect me, but I felt badly after because my friend could have used the extra cash.

I at least I had SOME clue...I knew a little bit where to look. I've since learned about Heritage, C Link, the human encyclopedias on the board...etc.

A few of you are assuming that the person was lazy. I am looking at it from the viewpoint (and I might be wrong) that this other woman had no clue where to look...and she DID need the money. Taking advantage of her, in my opinion would be unkind.

It might be great for Capitalism, but it would be unkind.

Personally, I probably would have given her $300 and if I sold the books for a lot more, I would have sent her a bonus....but that's just me.

My eBay listings

#4118718 - 07/02/10 03:42 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: skypinkblu]
sborock Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Franklin's Tower
 Originally Posted By: skypinkblu
We are a board full of collectors, we know where to look things up, or who to ask.

When I came to this board, I had a few books from a friend that were apparently quite rare. He had asked me to sell them for him.

I did try to look them up, but the only places I knew to look was on Ebay or in an Overstreet guide and- Google, never realized there were other venues, I just was not that sophisticated. The prices were way under the true value in the Overstreet Guide, and there were no sales on Ebay, no hits on Google. I asked a few people, but they had no experience with the titles.

I'm not exactly stupid, but I was not that educated in obscure titles and it just didn't click that there were no comparisons because the items were so rare. I had no experience with rare comics.

I sold them to a "collector" who told me what they were "worth". I accepted their assessment. I found later that the prices I got for my friend, were most probably way under what the true value was.

I if I had a clue, I would have started a thread asking, of course I had no clue, LOL.

In my case, the money did not really affect me, but I felt badly after because my friend could have used the extra cash.

I at least I had SOME clue...I knew a little bit where to look. I've since learned about Heritage, C Link, the human encyclopedias on the board...etc.

A few of you are assuming that the person was lazy. I am looking at it from the viewpoint (and I might be wrong) that this other woman had no clue where to look...and she DID need the money. Taking advantage of her, in my opinion would be unkind.

It might be great for Capitalism, but it would be unkind.

Personally, I probably would have given her $300 and if I sold the books for a lot more, I would have sent her a bonus....but that's just me.

And that's why we love ya!

Ain't nobody messin' with you but you
Your friends are getting most concerned
Loose with the truth baby, it's your fire
Baby, I hope you don't get burned
-R. Hunter

#4119153 - 07/02/10 09:01 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: BlissComics]
Mr. Zipper Offline

If every thread and post that was self-referential to Board protocol, politics, history and/or monkey-business disappeared, how many would be left?
-- from the book "Solipsistic Proof that the Boards are All"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Upstate NY
The angle these discussions seem to take are from the perspective of a re-seller. For instance, the books are being purchased for resale. They are "inventory." And because the books are being viewed as a commodity in that respect, I think it's easier to say, "well throw the lady a few extra bucks because you'll make a nice profit anyway."

So, is it any different if the buyer is not a re-seller... and the book would be for the buyers own collection with no intent for resale anytime soon?

If you saw a grail you could never otherwise afford at a garage sale for $5, and you had zero intent to resell -- it would sit in your collection for decades -- would you inform the seller how much the book is worth and therefore forever lose any chance you ever had of adding the book to your collection?

hm

Steve Zarelli Space Authentication

My blog: The Collecting Obsession

Want List:
* Action Comics -- 31, 44, 48, 58, 59, 63, 66, 90 (4.0 - 7.0 range)

#4119172 - 07/02/10 09:09 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: Mr. Zipper]
lizards2 Offline

I have no registry points, so the only way to exercise my geek superiority is by being a jerk.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oregon Outback - Duckland!!!
 Originally Posted By: Mr. Zipper
The angle these discussions seem to take are from the perspective of a re-seller. For instance, the books are being purchased for resale. They are "inventory." And because the books are being viewed as a commodity in that respect, I think it's easier to say, "well throw the lady a few extra bucks because you'll make a nice profit anyway."

So, is it any different if the buyer is not a re-seller... and the book would be for the buyers own collection with no intent for resale anytime soon?

If you saw a grail you could never otherwise afford at a garage sale for $5, and you had zero intent to resell -- it would sit in your collection for decades -- would you inform the seller how much the book is worth and therefore forever lose any chance you ever had of adding the book to your collection?

hm

It depends on the value of the book. If it was a $1000 book, I would sure as heck give her more than $5. But that's just me.

#4122113 - 07/04/10 09:40 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: sckao]
That Ron Dude Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Toronto, Canada
There are many factors that could be involved that I am unaware of. What is his mental state? How broke is he? How did he get the books? What are you going to do with them after? What is your profit going to be? Negotiating price is OK in almost all cases but if a mentally handicapped person is going to be thrown out of the rooming house because someone wouldn't fork over an extra $200 and there is an Action #1 in there, that someone is truly a son-of-a-spoon.

#4122226 - 07/04/10 11:28 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: Dale Roberts]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Godfather, Part II
 Originally Posted By: Dale Roberts
 Originally Posted By: mschmidt
 Originally Posted By: BlissComics
This has probably been discussed on the boards before, but I'm too lazy to go look for previous threads right now. So here's the scenario:

Seller is asking $400 for some comics.
Before seeing the books, in an email I ask, "What's the best price you can do on these?"
Seller says, "$200 for all of them."
So, upon traveling out to see the books, I realize $200 is a great deal and I'm ready to buy the comics.

What would you do? Pay the $200? Pay the original $400 asking price? Split the difference and pay $300? hm

I fail to see how ethics are relevant to this question \(shrug\)

The seller set a price. You haggled & received a lower price. You pay the lower price. End of story.

This is correct. There is nothing unethical about this unless you have deceived her in some way.

If you were getting 100K worth of books, that would be a different story.

That's situational ethics. If it's ethical at $400, why would it be unethical at $100K?

"I'm going to say the list is biased towards collectors born yesterday." - Dr. Balls

"This is the lowest example of class that I've ever witnessed on the boards." - bronzejonny

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#4122342 - 07/05/10 01:46 AM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
lizards2 Offline

I have no registry points, so the only way to exercise my geek superiority is by being a jerk.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oregon Outback - Duckland!!!
 Originally Posted By: RockMyAmadeus
This has probably been discussed on the boards before, but I'm too lazy to go look for previous threads right now. So here's the scenario:

Before seeing the books, in an email I ask, "What's the best price you can do on these?"
So, upon traveling out to see the books, I realize $200 is a great deal and I'm ready to buy the comics.

What would you do? Pay the $200? Pay the original $400 asking price? Split the difference and pay $300? hm

The seller set a price. You haggled & received a lower price. You pay the lower price. End of story.

This is correct. There is nothing unethical about this unless you have deceived her in some way.

That's situational ethics. If it's ethical at $400, why would it be unethical at $100K?

Because few around here appear to have any ethics?

They'll rag on Chuckles all day long for asking triple GPA, but if they can Sal someone down (sight unseen) for a group of books then that is OKEEDOKEE \(thumbs u

#4122355 - 07/05/10 02:27 AM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: lizards2]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Godfather, Part II
 Originally Posted By: lizards2

They'll rag on Chuckles all day long for asking triple GPA, but if they can Sal someone down (sight unseen) for a group of books then that is OKEEDOKEE \(thumbs u

That didn't answer my absolutely rhetorical question at all.

\(thumbs u

"I'm going to say the list is biased towards collectors born yesterday." - Dr. Balls

"This is the lowest example of class that I've ever witnessed on the boards." - bronzejonny

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#4129677 - 07/08/10 09:46 PM Re: Ethics Question ??? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
Dale Roberts Online   content

A custom title just because Arch looked at my post count when it was exactly 7777? Wow. Lucky day. Whoo. I'm rockin' now... Yah.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: lizards2

That didn't answer my absolutely rhetorical question at all.

\(thumbs u

Its not situational ethics at all. You twisted words to make it fit what you want.

What I said, is that there is nothing wrong with negotiating with someone. $200.00 is fair for a few hundred dollars worth of books. If it were 100K worth of books, then the situation is different, and you should not purchase them for $200 or $400.

www.DaleRobertsComics.com

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
New coins added to my website: BU Franklins, Foreign Silver
by stldanceartist
Just back from NGC grading...you get first shot before it goes on eBay!
by stldanceartist
07:45 PM
WTB NGC LIBERTAD
by bender9876
06:42 PM
1969 P Roosevelt Dime ~ NGC MS 66 ~ Low Pop ~ $45
by Mr. Smith Guesser
02:33 PM
Comics Marketplace
Southern Bastards #1 CGC SS 9.8 - Signed by: Jason Aaron
by WinterSoldier
New Mutants #98 CGC 9.8 White - $780 shipped in North America
by VintageComics
High grade slabs
by asteroid-comix
08:33 AM
High grade slabs
by asteroid-comix
08:26 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum