• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
6 6

702 posts in this topic

I note that there is no thread devoted to silver age Adventure Comics.

As someone pointed out a couple of weeks ago (I think it was "Silver"), Adventure introduced to the world: Krypto the Super-Dog, the Legion of Superheroes, Red Kryptonite, General Zod, The Phantom Zone and Bizarro World. Plus it had great backup features with Aquaman and Green Arrow leading the way.

So, I will start off the Silver Age Adventure Comics Collectors Thread with...

The last Atom Age issue:

Adventure228.jpg

and....

The first Silver Age issue:

Adventure229.jpg

#230 anyone?

So what makes 229 the first Silver Age issue?

I'm not sure if this is an honest question or if it's a bit of poking :baiting:

I'm using Overstreet's definition (October 1956 - the month that DC released Showcase #4 and The Flash).

Personally, I don't get too hung up in the semantics. I prefer to talk about pre-code and post-code because it is something we can all agree on.

:)

Honestly, Ian (Steelcity) has the nicest silver age Adventure Comics collection I know of, and I would not be surprised if it was the best in existance. He has quite a few scanned and I am sure he wouldnt mind showing them. He and I both seem to love the series.

Personally, although my collection really doesnt bare this out, I would have to say that Adventure Comics is my favorite DC series of all time. The Legion is one of my favorite comics features of all time, and Adventure is not just the birth place of the Legion, but it is also where the best Legion stories were printed.

Additionally, Superboy is my single favorite DC character, and while I have a near complete set of Superboy, Adventure was a monthly series. Since the 50's is my favorite time period that would make 120 wonderful issues of Adventure Comics during my favorite decade of comics versus about 80 in Superboy's own title. That's 120 covers of my favorite character with some pretty good backup material along the way. Everything from Frazetta Shining Knights to Aquaman and Green Arrow.

It's kind of odd then, that of all the series I collect, that I focused the least on Adventure, and I know why. I have a "completist" kind of bug, and I just couldnt see me getting Adventure 103 all the way to 380. I started collecting Action at about the Supergirl era and Superman at 100, Superboy, Lois and Jimmy through completion, but just focused mostly on the Legion Adventures. I regret that alot now since I wish I had them all!

It's a testament to the lack of respect that this venerable series gets that it's just now getting its own thread. But I agree with Silver that it was a great series with Superboy, the Legion, and great back up features.

Here's my copy of the second Legion. And no, I don't have a 247 either. :cry:

Adv267.jpg

I note that there is no thread devoted to silver age Adventure Comics.

As someone pointed out a couple of weeks ago (I think it was "Silver"), Adventure introduced to the world: Krypto the Super-Dog, the Legion of Superheroes, Red Kryptonite, General Zod, The Phantom Zone and Bizarro World. Plus it had great backup features with Aquaman and Green Arrow leading the way.

So, I will start off the Silver Age Adventure Comics Collectors Thread with...

The last Atom Age issue:

Adventure228.jpg

and....

The first Silver Age issue:

Adventure229.jpg

#230 anyone?

AdventureComics230.jpg