• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the journals?

29 posts in this topic

• Administrator

These chat boards are extension of the CCG|NGC/NCS/PMG/CGC collecting community at:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com

Members of the main Collectors Society site have a number of fun collecting tools available to them, including the registries, AND collector journals. Collector Journals are an easy way to blog about your collecting experience.

Recently, we've added a new feature to the Collectors Journals that allows posts made to the Journals to show up here on the chat boards so that people can respond to and discuss journal entries if the original author allows it. Members who turn on this feature for a journal entry have the choice of either providing their chat board login so that the post will show up as made by their chat board account, or skipping that step and letting our automated "CS Journals" account post it for them.

The Journal feature is designed to allow our members to share their collecting journey with other members. We hope that over time our members find that they've been able to use the journals as a way to share a kind of diary with other collectors, and can look back over their entries as a road map of their collecting adventure. This is different than general posting on the message board because there is a single place to view the collection of journal posts for each member.

Use the Journal feature to:

• Share your experiences and thoughts
  • Share your unique acquisitions
  • Share your knowledge with other collectors

To check out more journal entries (with and without discussion threads attached to them) look here:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/MoreJournals.aspx?tab=RecentJournals

Why is the posting of Journals here to the message board so hit and miss?

I seem to only end up with about 1/2 of my journals making it to the message boards, even though I check the box to have them post, every time.

Why?

• Administrator

If you cut and paste from a word document, try pasting your text into notepad first. Sometime Microsoft Word or other word processors will insert certain special characters that can cause a problem.

• Administrator

You just have to sign up on the Collectors Society for a free membership (if you are not a member already). The journals are posted there, but there is a link at the bottom to "share" them on the Chat Boards using your Username and Password for this site.

With the rise in the number of journals being posted on a daily basis now, I has wondering if it would be possible to display more than just the last three most recently posted journals down the left panel?

Sometimes, you post a journal, then less than an hour later, it's already off the recently posted list.

If possible, it would serve us journal writers and readers better if the last five or even the last ten posted journals were listed on everyone's home pages.

Any increase would be nice.

I know you just have to click the View All journals button to go back and read them all but you'd be surprised how many people don't do that or even worry about it.

The increase on hompages would allow more users to see and reach more of the recent journals more quickly.

People should consider posting all of their journals in one thread - that makes it easy for the followers to keep up with all the posts without missing a beat. It will also cut down greatly on the number of individual threads, which also makes it easier for everyone to keep track of what's going on. It will also prevent everyone's posts from falling off the page.

Ogami, Doc Joe, Hibou, and I are currently using this method. All of our journal entries are in single, unique threads. I've found that it's easiest to post the initial thread by using the CGC journal entry page...then post all of your follow-ups by responding to your thread in the CGC forum. I think this is better than posting a bunch of threads with individual topics.

Just a thought...