Page 1 of 1201 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#397606 - 04/13/04 01:19 PM Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
sterlingcomics Offline

Mine was The Registry Buginator but I prefer(snip)

My custom title still sucks

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: House of Mystery
OK, you asked for it. Anything to do with bronze horror, let's talk about it here. This is my favorite genre and my favorite age as well.

So, to start things off with a poll: I know I left out other Publishers, but I figured the majority of us here are in either the DC or Marvel camps.

CHOOSE 4 OF YOUR FAVORITE BRONZE HORROR TITLES BELOW!
Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:
You may choose 4
Beware
Black Magic
Chamber of Chills
Chamber of Darkness
Creatures on the Loose
Crypt of Shadows
Dead of Night
Fear
Ghosts
House of Mystery
House of Secrets
Monster of Frankenstein
Monsters on the Prowl
Dark Tales Forbidden Mansion
Secrets of Sinister House
Secrets of Haunted House
Tales of Ghost Castle
Tomb of Darkness
Tomb of Dracula
Tower of Shadows
Unexpected
Vault of Evil
Werewolf by Night
Weird Mystery Tales
Weird War Tales
Weird Wonder Tales
Where Creatures Roam
Where Monsters Dwell
Witching Hour

Votes accepted starting: 04/13/04 12:00 AM
View the results of this poll.

#397607 - 04/13/04 01:35 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: sterlingcomics]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Anytime/Anywhere
Where do I click for Arrgh?

Jim

www.awe4one.com

"I think I can list 10 people that could leave the boards to make them a peaceful place and you are on that list." - GCCBCO

#397608 - 04/13/04 01:46 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: sterlingcomics]
RickHigh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Chatzilla

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Four???? That was really tough. Of course, the two House books are my favorites. I also love Witching Hour. Tales of the Unexpected is also great, and I really love the Mike Ploog artwork on WBN. Those covers, especially in really high grade are gorgeous, and not that hard to find. Weird War Tales is great also. I think #2 and 3 are harder to find in HG than #1. I saw four #1's at a mini-con this weekend. They were all in the 9.0 range though. I've seen quite a few Dark Mansion #1s for sale, but I haven't gotten one yet. There seems to be too many other things to get first. I've got a few Frankenstein books (again Ploog covers) and those books are cool. Of course, there's Tomb of Dracula. Just haven't gotten into that one yet (I do have a #10 though, probably like everyone else). I heard that it is a great book. I just don't believe that Marvel can compare to those great DC horror books though. Way to go, Sterling!!! I'm anxious to see this thread continue. How about posting some more covers of some of those great horror books you have? I'm going to post some of mine that haven't been disscused yet, but most of mine are a little more on the common side and most of them are not slabbed. In fact, I'll start it off with the ONLY slabbed horror book that I have (pardon the "half scan", as my scanner will only do 8 1/2 x 11). This is a great looking Wrightson cover though... [image]\http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//451473-HOM193.jpg[/image]

Attachments
451473-HOM193.jpg (528 downloads)
Description:

Edited by rahigh (04/13/04 01:50 PM)

#397609 - 04/13/04 01:47 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: awe4one]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Click here for ARRGGGH

#397610 - 04/13/04 01:52 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: RickHigh]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Hello Richard, Welcome to another spine tingling thread I call, "Infinite Bronze Horror Thread". I have several hosts with me, which are your favorite?

Here's a trivia question (and actually I forgot the answer but I have to look it up): What was the name of the host of the Ghosts series later in the run? He wore a hat and his glasses were a touch of class.

#397611 - 04/13/04 02:10 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: sterlingcomics]
Zonker Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

D'Oh! I coulda voted for 4?! I'm still not up to speed on the new feature that allows multiple votes-- it's a great enhancement, I'm just slow to catch on. You might want to edit the thread title to highlight the Choose 4 option.

For those who collect/like the Ghosts series: Are you voting for it based on the covers alone, or are there memorable stories in it as well? The few I sampled seemed second or third tier DC, about what I'd expect from Murray Boltinoff's shop. Contrast that with the Giordano stable (early House of Secrets, Witching Hour) or Joe Orlando's (HoM, latter-day HoS, Witching Hour, etc. etc.) I'm aware of a Wally Wood story in Ghosts #2 and a Mike Golden story somewhere around the #80s. What else am I missing?

#397612 - 04/13/04 03:35 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: Zonker]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Voting out of love for it all: covers, artists, stories, etc. Personally, HOM was the best overall (as indicated by its long run) mystery book for me, and as indicated in the polls. HOS was more like a roller coaster, while stories in Ghosts were somewhat reptitive. In addition to LD / Cardy covers, I also liked Cruz art, which was popular during the Bronze.

#397613 - 04/13/04 03:37 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: RickHigh]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Did you pick up anything at the ComicCon this past weekend? How many vendors were there? Who?

#397614 - 04/13/04 04:07 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: sterlingcomics]
RickHigh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Chatzilla

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Yes. I went to the con this weekend. Picked up three books: Tec #400, 410 and Batman #242. All three were pretty nice books (see WTF). As I mentioned in "WTF", no one brought any nice Bronze horror. I really didn't go looking for Bat stuff, but these were hard to past on, so... The usual dealers were there David Shankle, Shelton, Dave, etc, all with the same books. Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons), however, had the best books and a great variety of nice stuff (no horror). I bought the Bats from him. By the way, I guess my favorite host is...

Attachments
451591-HPG.jpg (531 downloads)
Description:

#397615 - 04/13/04 05:18 PM Re: Infinite Bronze Horror Thread [Re: sterlingcomics]
Minutekev Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: South USA
Tomb of Drac for my money..thrilling stuff...

Page 1 of 1201 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Choice 1820/19 Large Cent PCGS VF35 CAC! Gorgeous 1877S Double Eagle & More!
by AnkurJ
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Toner sale
by AstroTrain
Yesterday at 06:44 PM
FSH: 1882-S Morgan Dollar ICG MS-64 DMPL Obverse
by 123cents
Yesterday at 01:00 AM
hobo nickel book and sutler token book for sale
by michael
Yesterday at 12:35 AM
Comics Marketplace
Losercon! - Kaluta Zeck Gary Frank McCloud Nguyen Johnson & More
by malvin
18 minutes 8 seconds ago
SDCC exclusives DC and Image
by Bobbyusc
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Ending at 9pm tonight...Marvel Silver, Bronze & Copper! Key issues and more!
by Chip Cataldo
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Star Wars #1 CGC 9.4 & Amazing Spider-Man #194 CGC 9.6
by Wookie
Yesterday at 11:34 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.865 seconds in which 0.851 seconds were spent on a total of 19 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum