• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing Comics in Warm Temperatures?

80 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I had a few questions about comic book storage as it pertains to room temperature. Here's the deal, I have an extra room on the third floor of my house which I am using right now to store a number of things, comic books included.

The problem is with the spring and summer coming up, the room is bound to increase in temperature. Not all that humid as I recall in years past, but certainly above what would be considered comfortable room temperature. I could easily install an air conditioner, but wouldn't plan on having it running 24/7. My other concern is that I wouldn't want the room temperature to rise and drop too much as I know that is not good for comics either.

Now I have some older (and not too valuable) books that have been stored up there for a while already (mostly SA Marvel), and there is no apparent damage as they look about the same as when I first stored them.

I also have a few inexpensive Marvel SA slabs along with the rest of the books.

So what I'd like to know is, how dangerous do you guys think it is to store these books in a room that temperature and is there any way I could store them that would protect the books better despite the room temperature?

I'd just assume store them in a cooler room but I'm pressed at the moment for space as we're doing some house-work.

Thoughts, suggestions?

High temps are not really much problem. Humidity is the only worry you should have.

Where I live it gets up around 110 to 120 during the summer, I've always kept my books in the garage and they have always been ok.

High temps are not really much problem. Humidity is the only worry you should have.

Where I live it gets up around 110 to 120 during the summer, I've always kept my books in the garage and they have always been ok.

But garages are cooler although car exaust can certainly be an issue.

I'm not worried about this room getting above 100, although I'm sure there will be humid days from time to time. Just trying to figure out the safest way to go about this.

Come on, really? Do the Library of Congress's accelerated aging tests performed in high temperatures mean nothing to you?

This thread has some of the worst advice I've ever seen on the CGC forums and that's saying something.

There are three musts in comic storage: COOL, RELATIVELY DRY, DARK. These are not hard to remember.

These three things are more important than the "mylar vs. polybag" debate or the "shiny side vs. dull side of the backboard" debate. This is because HEAT, HIGH RELATIVE HUMIDITY, AND EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO UV RAYS DESTROY COMICS.

Polluted air also destroys comics. You can alleviate the effects of pollution by using boxes made of Microchamber paper or by inserting Microchamber paper into the books themselves.

To the original poster: Don't store your books in the :censored: attic, or in the :censored: :censored: basement. Store them in an interior closet in an air-conditioned room in the house where there is not a lot of variation in the three musts. If the books are junk that you don't care about, then why ask the question? Just set the damned books on fire and save yourself the storage problem.

There, you have the best advice you're going to get on the topic. Listen to it or ignore it, but my work is done here.

For the love of christ, now I understand why Sal is starting nonsense threads with allcaps and no punctuation. Not that his threads before had any great comic topics being discussed, but at least they were written in proper English. Look what you've driven him to.

And me, for that matter - you've made me end a sentence with a preposition, I'm so worked up!

Come on, really? Do the Library of Congress's accelerated aging tests performed in high temperatures mean nothing to you?

This thread has some of the worst advice I've ever seen on the CGC forums and that's saying something.

There are three musts in comic storage: COOL, RELATIVELY DRY, DARK. These are not hard to remember.

These three things are more important than the "mylar vs. polybag" debate or the "shiny side vs. dull side of the backboard" debate. This is because HEAT, HIGH RELATIVE HUMIDITY, AND EXCESSIVE EXPOSURE TO UV RAYS DESTROY COMICS.

Polluted air also destroys comics. You can alleviate the effects of pollution by using boxes made of Microchamber paper or by inserting Microchamber paper into the books themselves.

To the original poster: Don't store your books in the :censored: attic, or in the :censored: :censored: basement. Store them in an interior closet in an air-conditioned room in the house where there is not a lot of variation in the three musts. If the books are junk that you don't care about, then why ask the question? Just set the damned books on fire and save yourself the storage problem.

There, you have the best advice you're going to get on the topic. Listen to it or ignore it, but my work is done here.

For the love of christ, now I understand why Sal is starting nonsense threads with allcaps and no punctuation. Not that his threads before had any great comic topics being discussed, but at least they were written in proper English. Look what you've driven him to.

And me, for that matter - you've made me end a sentence with a preposition, I'm so worked up!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If the comics are worth storing, store them correctly.

lol(worship) (worship)

Absolute ing class! :roflmao:

(worship)

And I'm with Sal and FFB on this one...too often it appears that we've morphed into 'The Land Of The Stupid' around here.

Dang FFB, why don't you say what you really mean...

:insane:

I think Where to Store Your Comics is a legitamate question.

If you guys are so tired of getting asked, why not put a sticky up next to the How to Pack Your Books thread?

And then you could put up a sticky next to it called What Kind of Scanner Should I Buy, and another sticky next to that called, Please Explain To Me the Mysteries of The Search Function Because It Is No Good And When I Use It I Get Pages And Pages of Utter Garbage.

So what I'd like to know is, how dangerous do you guys think it is to store these books in a room that temperature and is there any way I could store them that would protect the books better despite the room temperature?

It's all in how long you want the books to last without degrading. If the answer is around a decade, you're fine, you'll do a little damage but not much. If the answer is 30-50 years or more and we assume the pages are white today (I'm sure many aren't), then the pages are highly likely to go offwhite or cream in this environment while in your possession.

The average collector barely cares about offwhite and cream pages with raw books in hand, so storage in highish temperatures is deceptively safe to people who largely ignore page color. Books can go from white to offwhite after 10-20 years in 80-90 degree temps, but to most people, that's no change at all, although obviously since CGC started noting page quality in addition to the numerical grade, this has gained a LOT more attention from the high-end collector.

And then you could put up a sticky next to it called What Kind of Scanner Should I Buy, and another sticky next to that called, Please Explain To Me the Mysteries of The Search Function Because It Is No Good And When I Use It I Get Pages And Pages of Utter Garbage.

Instead of stickies, we should have a separate "best of" forum. Many heavy-traffic forums with quality posters use these, and there are MORE than enough quality threads here to merit one.

I think Where to Store Your Comics is a legitamate question.

If you guys are so tired of getting asked, why not put a sticky up next to the How to Pack Your Books thread?

The issue seemed to be with the response moreso than the question. Poor advice being handed out with an air of certainty.

And on a side-note, many questions are asked that are not matters of experience or 'insider knowledge'. They are common sense issues that, given 11 seconds thought, people would be able to answer for themselves.

Those can be somewhat wearing.

Instead of stickies, we should have a separate "best of" forum. Many heavy-traffic forums with quality posters use these, and there are MORE than enough quality threads here to merit one.

That's actually a damned good idea. I think it should be a sub-section that can't have threads started, but threads get bumped over there (which can be added to) when the content reaches a certain 'status'.

That's actually a damned good idea. I think it should be a sub-section that can't have threads started, but threads get bumped over there (which can be added to) when the content reaches a certain 'status'.

Yea that's exactly how I've seen "best of" forums managed, the admin bumps posts in there. It solves the problems of stickies dominating the first page or two of a forum...it's mostly just admin stuff that should be stickied in a high-traffic forum.