Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »
Topic Options
#3970328 - 04/27/10 10:54 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: Fireboy]
s-man Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: RedSox/Celtics Country
 Originally Posted By: Fireboy
Dang, 6 issues away from finishing Y The Last Man.

I was just about to start this series too, damn!

#3970353 - 04/27/10 11:02 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: s-man]
Mr 9.8 Online   offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The CURSED Earth!
Goodbye htmlcomics.com. We hardly knew ya!
People love seeing violence and horrible things. The human being is bad and he can't stand more than five minutes of happiness. Put him in a dark theater and ask him to look at two hours of happiness and he'd walk out or fall asleep.

- Paul Verhoeven

#3970497 - 04/28/10 12:00 AM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: Mr 9.8]
bounty_coder Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Your Crawlspace
Look at that traffic spike after January of this year from way under 5K to a fast trend above 20K. Looks like too many eyes got on the site...

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/htmlcomics.com/

- bounty

#3970509 - 04/28/10 12:06 AM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: bounty_coder]
Subliminal Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Not here
 Originally Posted By: bounty_coder
Well I think it's official. The site looks to be taken down, and hard. Who knows if what people are saying are true, but someone claimed that they spoke with the fella's wife and the FBI was involved...

Quote:
I just called today (4/22) and spoke to the guy's wife. She said that he (the site owner) got in a LOT of trouble, the FBI got involved etc - and the site will not be back ever. It's completely down. *sigh* back to reading comics the old fashioned way.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100420164659AANxHjJ

Looks like "Bleeding Cool" put them on blast, this could have easily triggered it:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?15448-The-Library-That-Isn%5C-t-HTMLComics

- bounty

Am I the only one who finds it coincidental that the ipad comes out and suddenly htmlcomics.com gets a permanent smackdown?

#3971240 - 04/28/10 11:57 AM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: stevescu]
fantastic_four Online   shocked

Just far far too long without a custom title. Really. Seriously now. 2002?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: betwixt Virginia and Asgard
 Originally Posted By: stevescu
I'm sure this guys life is going to be ruined because of the site and his insane legal reasoning that it was just a library. He should have consulted an actual copyright attorney at some point and saved himself tons of trouble.

Hilariously enought it looks like he did try to seek out legal advice via a website http://boards.answers.findlaw.com/n/pfx/...usine&tid=54640 but didn't agree with what people there were saying too.

Had he spent two minutes looking at how libraries actually handle copyrighted content--which is never to make it available online since it's too easy to copy--he would've realized that his attempt to define his site as a "library" was just an ego trip and a complete waste of time.

#3971245 - 04/28/10 12:02 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: Subliminal]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Subliminal
Am I the only one who finds it coincidental that the ipad comes out and suddenly htmlcomics.com gets a permanent smackdown?

My guess is that it's Disney buying Marvel that made this inevitable...their lawyers are unusually bulldoggish in going after copyright infringers, including school teachers and librarians who put up pictures of Disney characters on display in schools. This guy getting zapped was a forgone conclusion...it takes a special kind of ego to keep the site up under the premise that he was doing nothing wrong when dozens, possibly even hundreds, of people warned him ahead of time.

#3971279 - 04/28/10 12:13 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: fantastic_four]
Ares Offline

FORUM CRIER

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Toronto, Canada
He was stuck on the dictionary definition of library with out also looking into legal definition of library

#3971283 - 04/28/10 12:14 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: fantastic_four]
scottish Offline

So I found this Action 1 in MS70...er...GAH! Damn dual hobbies!

FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Everett, WA
 Originally Posted By: fantastic_four
 Originally Posted By: stevescu
I'm sure this guys life is going to be ruined because of the site and his insane legal reasoning that it was just a library. He should have consulted an actual copyright attorney at some point and saved himself tons of trouble.

Hilariously enought it looks like he did try to seek out legal advice via a website http://boards.answers.findlaw.com/n/pfx/...usine&tid=54640 but didn't agree with what people there were saying too.

Had he spent two minutes looking at how libraries actually handle copyrighted content--which is never to make it available online since it's too easy to copy--he would've realized that his attempt to define his site as a "library" was just an ego trip and a complete waste of time.

As I've mentioned (and blob confirmed) our local libraries DO allow online, digital checkout of books. I'm not supporting htmlcomics, but wanted to clarify that point. \:\)

Edited by scottish (04/28/10 12:14 PM)

#3971349 - 04/28/10 12:36 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: scottish]
ComicConnoisseur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: BOSTON STRONG
Well back to paying 4.99 a month to Marvel.com.
\:\)

#3971351 - 04/28/10 12:37 PM Re: Blackout on htmlcomics.com [Re: scottish]

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: scottish
As I've mentioned (and blob confirmed) our local libraries DO allow online, digital checkout of books. I'm not supporting htmlcomics, but wanted to clarify that point. \:\)

I read back through the thread and couldn't find the details on that from you or blob--was it another thread somewhere? I'm interested in what types of stuff they allow online checkout of--is it everything they can get a digital copy of, or only some content? I'm guessing not every library does it--which libraries have you guys seen that do it?

Page 11 of 14 « First<910111213>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Just back from NGC grading...you get first shot before it goes on eBay!
by stldanceartist
07:45 PM
WTB NGC LIBERTAD
by bender9876
06:42 PM
1969 P Roosevelt Dime ~ NGC MS 66 ~ Low Pop ~ $45
by Mr. Smith Guesser
02:33 PM
1954-D Franklin Half Dollar PCGS MS65FBL (old holder)
by Hu-Dey
09/30/14 03:00 PM
Comics Marketplace
DC/Marvel SIlver to Bronze
by Shadow Images
03:21 AM
NYCC 2014 EXCLUSIVES -CGC SS / BLUE LABELS
by A-DONIS
02:49 AM
J. Scott Campbell Variant SS29 - 2x Raw & 2x9.8
by Zacreth
01:20 AM
closed
by Rhymenoceros
10:57 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing