• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,403 posts in this topic

I looked 10 years back and couldn't find one.

I'll change this subject to "Showcase #4 Club" if not.

Is there no love for DC's #1 Silver Age book? (shrug)

I've never had the desire to own this book. I'll see Harley Yee or some other major dealer at a show and ask to see their Hulk 1, AF 15, Adventure 247, but in all my years of collecting, I have never requested to see a Showcase #4.

I can understand its significance as the 1st Silver Age book (although arguements can be made against it), but the Flash is a second tier DC character, and the Silver Age resurgence of Superheroes was 50 years ago and for folks in my age group (between 30-40), it doesn't mean a lot. We always had Superhero comics around, and more significantly, Marvel Superheroes.

Having said all of the above, I see this book dropping several notches in desirability and relative OPG value against other books in the next few years, but that's just my opinion. Anyone think otherwise? (shrug)

I think that if I was a high dollar investor, I would be considering buying a copy of this book at this time.

As you state, demand for this book is at a low ebb. However, I don't think that that is a permanent situation.

Showcase 22 has been remarkably hot for the last few years, even though it is a much less important book than Showcase 4, and it is the first appearance of a second tier DC character as well.

I think interest in the Flash right now is lower than Green Lantern, but I don't think that is permanent. These things ebb and flow based on the quality of the modern books, movie interest, etc.

At some point I expect interest in the Flash to rise, and when it does I would expect Showcase 4 to rise in value compared to the other large keys from its current position.

Note-- all this said, I don't see myself ever owning this book. The only real high dollar books I am targeting in my collection are AF15 and ASM1. I may never own those either though. :grin:

I've never had the desire to own this book. I'll see Harley Yee or some other major dealer at a show and ask to see their Hulk 1, AF 15, Adventure 247, but in all my years of collecting, I have never requested to see a Showcase #4.

I can understand its significance as the 1st Silver Age book (although arguements can be made against it), but the Flash is a second tier DC character, and the Silver Age resurgence of Superheroes was 50 years ago and for folks in my age group (between 30-40), it doesn't mean a lot. We always had Superhero comics around, and more significantly, Marvel Superheroes.

Having said all of the above, I see this book dropping several notches in desirability and relative OPG value against other books in the next few years, but that's just my opinion. Anyone think otherwise? (shrug)

There was a time when you couldn't give away a 7.0/7.5 copy.

I remember seeing them float around on eBay with no takers.

I think the book has become more popular as of late.

I think it's a great book. Although not at the top of my list, I'd love to own one.

I don't think you can draw a correlation between the quality of the character's modern ongoing and the price of their silver age 1st appearance. In some instances, the character becoming all but irrelevant certainly has to hurt what was a previously desirable book (like Whiz 2 and Adventure 247), but if the quality of the modern played a huge role, AF 15 wouldn't be the benchmark for the silver age. As you alluded, I think they only real driving factor is movie potential, and in the case of the Flash, the movie isn't in development so there's no real driving force there.

I think a bigger role is the actual value of the book and the significance of the character. Avengers 4, right before the run up, was around $1,000 in 8.0, and that was priced aggressively. SC 22 was around $800 in 4.0 before the run up, AF 15 is the exception to the rule, but even considering the significance of the character, $3K for a 4.0 was reasonable, then boom! I think SC 4 has to have a further pull-back before it can surge, if it surges at all.

That said, I would buy it at today's prices without hesitation because of the certainty that I could sell it at at least those prices in another 3 years, and I don't think there's another top-5 SA key you can say that about and have history on your side. 2c

As you alluded, I think they only real driving factor is movie potential, and in the case of the Flash, the movie isn't in development so there's no real driving force there.

Hmm...I think we would have to assume a Barry Allen Flash movie instead of a Wally West Flash in order for Showcase 4 to potentially take off hm

Thanks Twistty1 (thumbs u

Hope others post their copies :taptaptap:

Odd how some Silver Age #4 issues introduced reprised Golden Age super heros ;)

Showcase #4 (of course) - Flash :)

Fantastic Four #4 - Sub-Mariner :grin:

Avengers #4 - Captain America :cool:

Justice League #4 - Green Arrow

Cooincidence hm

Wow...the Showcase 4 9.2 only sold for $51000. :o

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have no desire to own this book, and judging from the final bid, I suppose others put their money in other books. I am curious, however, if folks think this final bid is high/low/about right price for this book.