• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #1 V2 Authentix Cover vs Authentix Sketch Cover

21 posts in this topic

The Registry says there are two covers for Amazing Spider-man #1 V2. One is labeled 'Marvel Authentix: Amazing Spider-man #1' and the other is labeled 'Marvel Authentix: Amazing Spider-Man #1 Marvel Authenix Sketch Cover.'

As far as I know, I've only seen the sketch cover. Are there really two versions of this?

There is a lot of confusion on this one. I think part of that confusion is also driving the price.

The white cover has been come to be accepted as the "Sketch" cover. There were 6500 printed and came with a COA stating: "Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic as one of a specially limited series of sixty five hundred copies. This book was released 12/16/98.

In January 1999, Marvel released a version with John Romita sketching the box with a Spider-Man head shot. There were 300 printed and came with a COA stating: "Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic "Sketch Cover" as one of a specially limited series of three hundred copies drawn by classic Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr."

After this, there were also signed versions by Stan Lee, another Romita sketch version, and one signed by Stan, John, and John, Jr.

All of these though are the same white cover as the 6500 printed run. So, there is only one cover of the Authentix book. It has been signed and sketched on.

Not sure why CGC lists these seperately. If you look under the 'Marvel Authentix: Amazing Spider-Man #1 Marvel Authenix Sketch Cover' listing in the census, you will see 76 qualified issues, which are most likely the sketched upon and signed (non-witnessed) books. I have asked what the 'Marvel Authentix: Amazing Spider-man #1' books were, but never received an answer.

Lastly, I feel because of this sketch label, prices seem unreasonable high on this book with a 6500 print run. Maybe because the original Romita sketch issues were going for good money, that confusion set in, and now everyone thinks this is a $100 book?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Very helpful. I know CGC will give a specific variant designation to 'Wizard Authentic" books with the little Wizard hologram label on them. They all get green labels since they were signed at Wizard and sold raw. Any chance that is what CGC is doing with the ASM V2 #1?

Okay, so if I've got this right, there are really the following covers:

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover - just the plain printed sketch with an empty box.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Sketch by JRJR and will ALWAYS be a GLOD since Wizard had the sketches done but CGC never witnessed them.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Signed by Stan Lee - I've no idea if this is a GLOD or SS.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Coer: Sketched by JRJR Round 2 - Still a GLOD or now an SS?

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Signed by Stan Lee, John Romita, and JRJR - No idea if this is GLOD or SS.

Looking at what is available on eBay and he census, it's pretty clear that CGC lost track of what they were calling what. The current two designations they have are probably a mish-mash of the various cover/sketch types.

Okay, so if I've got this right, there are really the following covers:

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover - just the plain printed sketch with an empty box.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Sketch by JRJR and will ALWAYS be a GLOD since Wizard had the sketches done but CGC never witnessed them.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Signed by Stan Lee - I've no idea if this is a GLOD or SS.

Marvel Authentix Sketch Coer: Sketched by JRJR Round 2 - Still a GLOD or now an SS?

Marvel Authentix Sketch Cover: Signed by Stan Lee, John Romita, and JRJR - No idea if this is GLOD or SS.

Looking at what is available on eBay and he census, it's pretty clear that CGC lost track of what they were calling what. The current two designations they have are probably a mish-mash of the various cover/sketch types.

I'll throw all the pictures up tonight. Yes, any books that were not witnessed by CGC and have some writing on them (sketch, signature, etc.) would receive a green qualified label. Those are the 76 issues I list above. Yes, it looks like they started with two different designations and then just stuck with one.

Quick question for you guys. Were any of the Authentix Sketch for ASM produced without the box? The reason I ask is that I have two graded copies of the astonishing X-Men Authentix, one with the sketch box another that doesn't, and is the full cover.

(shrug)

AuthXSketch.jpg

AuthX.jpg

Lastly, I feel because of this sketch label, prices seem unreasonable high on this book with a 6500 print run. Maybe because the original Romita sketch issues were going for good money, that confusion set in, and now everyone thinks this is a $100 book?

Anyway, hope this helps.

I agree...most of the Authentix sell for too much money, but the Spideys are the worst.

These aren't rare books, by any definition.

But then, the DF Amazing Vol 2 #1 sells for silly money ($20-$50) too, so...who knows.

Quick question for you guys. Were any of the Authentix Sketch for ASM produced without the box? The reason I ask is that I have two graded copies of the astonishing X-Men Authentix, one with the sketch box another that doesn't, and is the full cover.

(shrug)

AuthXSketch.jpg

AuthX.jpg

DD and Magneto don't have the sketch boxes on the "regular" covers either. SpiderWoman doesn't have an outlined box for either version. The box covers were just overruns that didn't get sketched.

(shrug)

AuthXSketch.jpg

AuthX.jpg

DD and Magneto don't have the sketch boxes on the "regular" covers either. SpiderWoman doesn't have an outlined box for either version. The box covers were just overruns that didn't get sketched.

But are all the ASM covers with boxes, or were there some produced without them (regular covers).

(shrug)

AuthXSketch.jpg

AuthX.jpg

But are all the ASM covers with boxes, or were there some produced without them (regular covers).

All the ASM covers I've seen (and a quick check of eBay supports) have the sketch box, whether sketched or not. Same with Gambit.

Here are the five different versions offered by Dynamic Forces, Inc. with the official Certificate of Authenticity title below each one.

ASMVol2Cover1C.jpeg

"Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic as one of a specially limited series of sixty five hundred copies.

ASMVol2Cover1D.jpeg

"Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic "Sketch Cover" as one of a specially limited series of three hundred copies drawn by classic Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr.

ASMVol2Cover1E.jpg

"Marvel Authentix: Amazing Spider-Man #1", as one of a specially limited series of seventy nine copies signed and re-marked with a Spider Sense Head Sketch by John Romita.

ASMVol2Cover1G.jpg

"Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic as one of a specially limited series of one thousand copies signed by Stan Lee.

ASMVol2Cover1H.jpg

"Amazing Spider-Man #1" Marvel Authentix Limited Edition Comic "Sketch Cover" as one of a specially limited series of three hundred twenty five copies drawn and signed by classic Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr. and signed by artist extraordinaire,John Romita,Jr. and Spider-Man co-creator, Stan Lee.

You're right, none of mine are the DF versions.

Thanks for the info! Follow up question: do the DF versions come from the print run of 6500? In other words, the DF versions equal 1000+300+325+79. Is that total taken from the 6500 or is it on top of the 6500?

Thanks for the info! Follow up question: do the DF versions come from the print run of 6500? In other words, the DF versions equal 1000+300+325+79. Is that total taken from the 6500 or is it on top of the 6500?

Since the COAs are numbered and I have seen one in the 6000s, I'm going to assume the numbers are independent.

So total =6,500+1,000+300+325+79

Since the COAs are numbered and I have seen one in the 6000s, I'm going to assume the numbers are independent.

So total =6,500+1,000+300+325+79

Yeah this is correct. It's how all DF signed/unsigned book work. (thumbs u