• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,403 posts in this topic

Here are several vintage non-newsstand photos, but still showing some neat old books

HJ8696-001.jpg

featuring Crimes Must Lose (Atlas) #4, 1950 , can't make out the second book

JE2478-001.jpg

featuring Flash Comics #102, 1948

JK3586-001.jpg

featuring what I think is a copy of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #83, 1947

And finally, I think a version of this was posted previous in a different thread, but this is certainly a neat photo, and I also have posted the reverse of the photo with the wire service notes. Not a newsstand photo, but it does show a lot of great GA books. This is of the Bill Placzek collection, circa 1965...

40980a.jpg

40980b.jpg

And finally, I think a version of this was posted previous in a different thread, but this is certainly a neat photo, and I also have posted the reverse of the photo with the wire service notes. Not a newsstand photo, but it does show a lot of great GA books. This is of the Bill Placzek collection, circa 1965...

40980a.jpg

40980b.jpg

:o

57539554.jpg

comics running along the top of the photo, based on the lead story on the newspaper ("Dionnes fight to bar autopsy of Emilie") this is from late '54

Foxhole 1 at far left

270451.jpg

Gangbusters #41 second from left

6947.jpg

The Superboy (fourth from the left) is #35

15069.jpg

Emile Dionne died August 6, 1954, and the autopsy was performed August 7, so this must be the afternoon paper from August 6.

Edited by FlyingDonut

40980a.jpg

:o No mylars or shiny CGC cases?! With all those books lying around someone might actually *ack* read them.

I'll take some of those 10c batmans for $6 woo hoo

Bah, his Batman # 1 is coverless ... but he does have 3 copies of Superman # 1 :o ... A G.A.tor for another age I guess :insane:

(Article from June 8, 1965)

I wonder if Gary knows / knew Bill? Gary?

93059.jpg.47d6ad810aac93bae4eeee42e04dea8e.jpg

I'll take some of those 10c batmans for $6 woo hoo

Bah, his Batman # 1 is coverless ... but he does have 3 copies of Superman # 1 :o ... A G.A.tor for another age I guess :insane:

(Article from June 8, 1965)

I wonder if Gary knows / knew Bill? Gary?

Anyone know what happened to Bill and his collection?

did a quick google search & came up with this article from (GAtor territory?) the Daytona Beach Morning Journal from 10/29/66 titled:

There's gold in those comic books. anyone heard of this guy?

j

wkeyes.jpg

art1.jpg

art2.jpgart3.jpgart4.jpgart5.jpg

well, many of keyes books have a severe spine roll and the superman 1 probably wasn't worth

that much back then...

was a $1000 for the first 16 superman books back then a fair price?

j

Edited by jpepx78

The general thought was that condition didn't matter all that much back then and there was certainly less of a price difference between a Good and a NM (with NM really being a VF at best)

It wasn't until the Mile high collection surfaced that folks saw the difference between high grade collecting and simply collecting.