• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Notorious Counterfeit Cerebus 1
1 1

123 posts in this topic

Some questions about what is arguably the most notorious Bronze Age Comic Book:

- Was the source of the counterfeit Cerebus 1s ever uncovered?

- # of counterfeits printed?

- Was this counterfeit a first for comic books?

Does anyone have a copy of this book and the original that they could scan?

Pretty sure I've seen this comparison here at some point, try doing a search and I bet you'll find it.

EDIT: got off my lazy butt and found it here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3696188&Searchpage=6&Main=180101&Words=counterfeit+cerebus&topic=0&Search=true#Post3696188

cerebus1-2.jpg

Edited by Mackenzie999

I did an interview with Dave in 2005 and asked him about it.

Jamie:

Did you ever discover who made the counterfeits?

Dave Sim:

I have my suspicions as to who did the counterfeit but, no, the FBI never managed to catch the guys who were selling them-the "mules" folded their operation as soon as word started to spread-and therefore there was no route to anyone who was behind the scam. I certainly wasn't about to accuse anyone publicly without evidence to support it but, yes, I'm pretty sure I knew who did it.

The rest of the interview is here: http://www.collectortimes.com/2005_07/Clubhouse.html

I also ask him about identifying the real Cerebus #1 vs the fake.

I did an interview with Dave in 2005 and asked him about it.

Jamie:

Did you ever discover who made the counterfeits?

Dave Sim:

I have my suspicions as to who did the counterfeit but, no, the FBI never managed to catch the guys who were selling them-the "mules" folded their operation as soon as word started to spread-and therefore there was no route to anyone who was behind the scam. I certainly wasn't about to accuse anyone publicly without evidence to support it but, yes, I'm pretty sure I knew who did it.

The rest of the interview is here: http://www.collectortimes.com/2005_07/Clubhouse.html

I also ask him about identifying the real Cerebus #1 vs the fake.

Hi, Jamie:

Was there also some speculation around counterfeit copies of issue #2?

I have no idea. Until now I did not know there was any speculation about #2 being counterfeit as well.

There was.

It's noted in one of the OPGs from the late 80's/early 90's.

That's correct, however I can't recall if there was ever a determination one way or another to confirm if there are counterfeit #2's floating around. Maybe I'll bring my Cerebus #2's to Dave to sign. If he signs them as 'Neal Adams', then that's all the proof I need of their existance :P

By the way, has anyone seen Dave's version of Neal's signature? It looks more authentic than Neals' own signature!

I'm curious about two things here:

- What was the motivation behind counterfeiting Cerebus 1? Money?

I wonder if Sim ever followed up on his suspicion and confront the suspect(s)?

1. Plain ol' money.

2. hm That would depend on who the suspects actually were........

In case anyone's interested and has a facebook account:

Subject: CerebusTV: Episode 14 this Friday Another 1/2 hour episode of CerebusTV this Friday, February 26 at 10pm ET / 7pm PT. This episode will showcase how to tell a real Cerebus #1 versus a counterfeit Cerebus #1. http://www.facebook.com/l/c8178;www.cerebus.tv