Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3736181 - 01/23/10 11:30 AM old-time CGC label vs new CGC label?
ComicConnoisseur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: BOSTON STRONG
Yes, I am back with another newbie question. \:\) Some people have told me to try to buy the old label CGC over the new label CGC because back in the day CGC`s grading was much stricter,for example if I buy a old school CGC label at a 9.4, I could then break it open and resubmit and have a good shot at getting a CGC 9.6. Any truth to this line of thought?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur (01/23/10 11:30 AM)

#3736186 - 01/23/10 11:33 AM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
AGGIEZ Online   content

Did you really just "Funny post" your own post?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Tejas, Houston
I'd like to see some BEFORE/AFTER pics to prove this theory...

#3736195 - 01/23/10 11:35 AM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
joe_collector Offline

Ok ok. JC Superstar. But only because he martyred his ID.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Titan
 Originally Posted By: ComicConnoisseur
I buy a old school CGC label at a 9.4, I could then break it open and resubmit and have a good shot at getting a CGC 9.6. Any truth to this line of thought?

Sure, if you press out all the SCS and other damage.

#3736228 - 01/23/10 12:00 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
comicwiz Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Toronto
Yes, I am back with another newbie question. \:\) Some people have told me to try to buy the old label CGC over the new label CGC because back in the day CGC`s grading was much stricter,for example if I buy a old school CGC label at a 9.4, I could then break it open and resubmit and have a good shot at getting a CGC 9.6. Any truth to this line of thought?

It always falls back to knowing the book in the holder inside out. Some of my own observations (which are limited submissions in comparison to the high volume submitters on these boards):

Old Label

Pro's: Better notations on things like rusty staples and defects not observable from outside cover.

Middle Ground: seen mixed-bag of books that were undergraded and overgraded

Cons: Some inconsistencies on the strictness towards dust shadow - especially towards dust settling along the spine on books that weren't properly stored.

New Label:

Pro's: Better holder/inner well design. Label is sonically sealed inside the inner well to reduce tampering element that existed with older labels.

Middle Ground: consensus is that grading has gotten much stricter, but there are also those who swear by more lenient grading with on-site grading at shows.

Cons: Notations such as rusted staples have been removed from the label. I have found myself having to make more call-ins for graders notes (I just want to point out that the need to call-in for notes in itself isn't really a con since the CGC folks have excellent customer service, but on sales which are a little more time-sensitive, I wasn't able to call-in for notes on weekends, etc.)

Myths: That old label books will grade higher. That new label books are more likely to have been pressed than old label books.

Qualified observations: Most old label books with Off-White to White Pages will more than likely enjoy a page quality bump to White Pages. There is also some empirical evidence that suggest Modern Grade (brown label) books have enjoyed relative success in grade improvement.

#3736455 - 01/23/10 01:40 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: comicwiz]
mystrymachine Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Tumbleweedville
I think there's a chance of that regardless of whether the holder is the older one or the newer one.

#3736968 - 01/23/10 06:12 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hertfordshire, U.K.
Actually, CGC went through a period early days when their 9.2s wouldn't get 8.0s if resubmitted today, so be careful.

http://www.comicanadirect.com

#3737075 - 01/23/10 07:10 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
TheDanimal Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Massachusetts
I like the old label text a little more. It also has the not just a number grade, but the letter designation and I like that.

I have a ASM 238 old label that is 8.5 that I know would get a grade bump if I sent it in again. It's nearly perfect from what I can tell.

Not saying they were tighter before. Just happen to notice it with this one book.

I can't say I prefer either as I mostly buy raw when I can anyway. I like to be able to smell my vintage books! lol

Pre-code horror: More detailed list in works! Looking for 4.0 and above!
Crime Suspenstories #22
Crypt of Terror 17,18,19
Crime Patrol #15

#3737100 - 01/23/10 07:22 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
jimjum12 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: In Line at the Principal's Off...

ALWAYS buy the book and not the label....a defect you find particularly intolerable may may not have the same effect during CGC's group consensus grading process. I'm not trying to be a *spoon* .....but if it's a 9.6 you're looking for, buy a 9.6 to begin with. Resubmission can easily result in new damage to your book and your old label 9.4 could quickly become a 9.2. Personally, the tightest graded CGC books I've seen were graded during a 2 month period about 8 months ago. Hold out for large scans on EVERY purchase over 100 bucks and call for graders notes on any book that seems overly undergraded....there's probably something that isn't obvious in th scan. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) \(thumbs u

#3737419 - 01/23/10 09:33 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: ComicConnoisseur]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hertfordshire, U.K.

And on another note...

Why would you want to do this?

If it's a book for sale, I can possibly understand the logic. However, if it's for your own collection, what is the point? It's still the same book, right? You're happy with it whether it says 2.5 or 9.6 on the label?

http://www.comicanadirect.com

#3737461 - 01/23/10 09:43 PM Re: old-time CGC label vs new CGC label? [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
 Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath

And on another note...

Why would you want to do this?

If it's a book for sale, I can possibly understand the logic. However, if it's for your own collection, what is the point? It's still the same book, right? You're happy with it whether it says 2.5 or 9.6 on the label?

I sure hope you`re asking your question rhetorically, otherwise this will be evidence that your mind has finally snapped! lol

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSHO: Silver Eagles
by bsshog40
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
WTB 1936-1942 Proof Washington Quarter with Significant Frost/Contrast
by coinman_23885
Yesterday at 01:42 PM
FS - World Coins - 1898 and 1898A French 10 Centimes
by robec1347
Yesterday at 01:04 PM
FSH: 1921-S Walker PCGS vf35 CAC, $2650 dlvd
by BAJJERFAN
Yesterday at 10:51 AM
Comics Marketplace
Comikaze ASM J. Scott Campbell Exclusive
by AnastasiasCollect
7 minutes 57 seconds ago
Bob Layton - Iron Man #150 Recreation
by Silver Surfer
58 minutes 44 seconds ago
Silver Surfer, TMNT, Wolverine, Transformers, Spider Man---Silver-Modern $0.99
by HusTrucK
Today at 04:07 PM
High Grade X-Men and Iron Man - Don & Maggie Stuff, Etc
by Silver Surfer
Today at 04:02 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing