• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Buy Variants?

Do You Buy Variants?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Buy Variants?

105 posts in this topic

Simple question really. I don't any more due to the stupid prices 'dealers' are asking for them on eBay UK. I'm struggling to believe people actually pay what they're asking for them.

So, do you buy variants? Not just the odd one here and there, but all of the variants to a run.

I should have been more clear shouldn't I doh!

I meant the modern variant covers like 1:10, 1:25, 1:100 etc (thumbs u

If the artwork is good I hate to admit that I will buy them. I guess its that sinking feeling that the $4 I spend for one regular modern will most likely be worthless in 20 years so I might as well grab a few issues that might hold some value over that time period. :P

If the artwork is good I hate to admit that I will buy them. I guess its that sinking feeling that the $4 I spend for one regular modern will most likely be worthless in 20 years so I might as well grab a few issues that might hold some value over that time period. :P

If I could get them for cover, or even cover plus $2 or something like that, I'd get them. But over here you're looking at a minimum of $15. I just won't pay it.

If I could get them for cover, or even cover plus $2 or something like that, I'd get them. But over here you're looking at a minimum of $15. I just won't pay it.

I had been buying the variants for the ASM run. Lately, I've stopped. Seems like lately, most of the covers have not been very cool (some exceptions).

Yes, but only if I like the cover better. Rare modern case in which I bought both the original and the variant was Captain America #601 since one of the variants was the black & white pencils only on cover and interior pages.

I voted Yes because where long term series' are concerned, such as UXM, I will buy all variants as I am a completionist and want all issues inc variants to that run. If we are talking about something i'm just picking upto read then no.

Those Blackest Night and some of Marvels Projects stuff are very tempting. Just waiting to see if they come out with a few Black Spectre variant covers, should be awesome. :cloud9:

The LCS I go to offers most variants at cover plus $1 or $2 bucks, so they aren't bad when they then add my loyal customer discount. That's not on the 1:100+ stuff though.

If there's a variant that's really expensive, I'll wait 6-8 months later and then get it when prices have plummeted.

One of the first things I did when I joined this board was buy a variant to a comic I was having trouble getting :grin:

Not worth it now that I have it though. I'll pick one up if I find it in the rummage bin, or if it's cover price and I like it better than the regular cover. Otherwise I'll just look at the cool covers online :)