• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ongoing SILVERWOLF/Greater Mercury comics thread.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

I've wanted to start this thread for awhile now, but sense I had only read a couple of issues I didn't think I should start this type of thread, but it took a recent thread by ''Amadeus'' to get me to start this anyway :insane:.

This thread will be dedicated to all of us new & old fans to show off our ''collectibles''.

Discuss the various series & talk to fellow fans of these books & share stories of how we first heard about these books & maybe convince some fans of other ''ages'' to try these comics.

So far my favorite series has to be GRIPS.

What's yours?

Also I like to show a link to a great place to pick up whatever back issues you may be missing from your collection.

http://www.kristoffersilver.com/SilverWolf/SilverWolfComics.html

Grips and Edge were the two that got me into GMC but I have a complete run of Fat Ninja and both issues of Fantastic Fables as well. I would like to get more from Silverwolf and GMC :)

I have met Kris Silver a couple times when I was a kid too :whee:

I clearly remember Grips. I think I had a 1-3. As for the story I only have vague

recollections but I do recall rereading it a few times. Just seeing a cover helps

it all come back to me. It was definitely better then a lot of other stuff I bought

at the time as I rarely reread .

But I am afraid I would never seek it out again. My tastes have changed.

Cool post though!

I haven't purchased one in ages but I remember my old Overpriced Street Guide use to have an "(extreme violence)" notation next to the Grips listing.
Was GRIPS the first comic at the time pushing the violence envelope?

I haven't purchased one in ages but I remember my old Overpriced Street Guide use to have an "(extreme violence)" notation next to the Grips listing.
I don't think so. Maybe the most popular one to do it though. There was an endless supply of homebrew comics at the time and the more obscure they got, the more violent and smutty they got. I think Silverwolf came around towards the end of the B&W boom, around 86 or later. They say the "boom" started after TMNT #1 hit the stands, but there were plenty of B&W indies out at that time and before, just not fetching crazy prices.

I don't think so. Maybe the most popular one to do it though. There was an endless supply of homebrew comics at the time and the more obscure they got, the more violent and smutty they got. I think Silverwolf came around towards the end of the B&W boom, around 86 or later. They say the "boom" started after TMNT #1 hit the stands, but there were plenty of B&W indies out at that time and before, just not fetching crazy prices.

The earliest I can recall off hand is the flaming carrot in Visions #1. The Carrot

would be running around with pistols in hand just blasting people on a whim.

This would be 1978.

But I am sure there are some indy zines or what not that are even earlier as the

above poster mentioned. Grips was very late to the game but rather graphic to

say the least.

I have got to say I was shocked reading the GRIPS story ''Death AIDS Death'' I have to say it was gutsy...

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Infecting GRIPS the Flagship character of GMC with the AIDS Virus!

I have got to say I was shocked reading the GRIPS story ''Death AIDS Death'' I have to say it was gutsy...

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Infecting GRIPS the Flagship character of GMC with the AIDS Virus!

Man,I didn't read that one :o (stop hogging all the good books big bro :( )

I haven't bought any new Silverwolf or GMC this year :(

Last year I bought a decent little stack though, including the complete run of Fat Ninja (from Silverwolf anyway, aren't there more?) and Fantastic Fables #2, as well as loose Grips and Edge comics I needed.