• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

OK, as Andrew pointed out last week, here's a quick guide to packing a slab.

Double boxing is always available if the buyer wants to pay more for shipping.

Step 1:

Wrap the slab extensively in bubble wrap. At least one pass each way (horizontally and vertically), and I'd recommend using more if you're using the smaller bubbles than the large bubbles.

89390.jpg

Step 2:

Using a suitably sized box, place a layer of peanuts on the bottom of the box, place the slab on top, then surround the slab around the sides and on the top with more peanuts.

89388.jpg

Step 3:

Tape up the box, again covering all openings with tape. I use Fragile tape to state the obvious, and when shipping abroad I use Handle With Care labels.

89387.jpg

One time at CGC we got a package that had books wrapped inside peed on sweat pants. one Was Daredevil 168 no kidding. Smelled a little like vinegar too. I opened the box and took out the pants with salad tongs. (essential grading divination tool) I was all running around up and down the hall with them (pants) I think that's what prompted my article on how to ship your comics.

I use Fragile tape.. ..Handle With Care labels.

These are indicators for the USPS to PLEASE "KICK ME"

Our local posties tell me that when you label something "fragile" or "do not bend" it tells the other posties not to run the boxes through the automated machines, where most of the postal damage comes from, but instead to handle by hand.

JS comics ships all their comics in what I would call "undersized" boxes with orange "fragile" labels. I get a box from them weekly, and have never seen so much as a dent in those boxes, despite shipping media mail across the country.

I've found 3M Scotch Packaging Tape to be the best.

But too expensive... :preach:

DOLLAR STORE tape is best :headbang:

Lots of tape, cheap, and I only had one roll out of hundreds purchased that kept splitting on me so much I could not user it. So I lost my dollar on that roll.

The Duck brand tape is thick too and works great also!

Hey Boozad...

How would you package... say... about 10 slabs and 10 raw books to be shipped overseas?

As cheaply as possible.

:jokealert:

Definitely a good tutorial! (thumbs u

Ok hopefully all who don't know how to pack a book have read and fully understand that tutorial. Good job! I pack my books almost the same with a few variations. :golfclap:

You mean with better books inside the box lol

How would you package... say... about 10 slabs and 10 raw books to be shipped overseas?

For everything together, I would make a box about the size of the slabs, put the padded&wrapped raw books in it along with blocking (cardboard cut to fit the empty ends of that box after the raw books were in it) and pack that up with the slabs in one box. Maybe even have that in the middle of the ten slabs.

-slym

Hey Boozad...

Seriously, I'd probably split 5 slabs and 5 raw into two different packages. The raw in a cardboard sandwich, the slabs wrapped in bubble wrap and the cardboard sandwich taped to the outside of the bubble wrapped slabs.

Surround the lot in peanuts (preferably) or bubble wrap. It's amazing how well-handled 99% of the packages are handled that I've received form over the pond.

That's really helpful but if you're selling like 2-3 comics, maybe you can just put the comics with the carton in a flat rate priority envelope from USPS given that you can afford $5 for shipping lol.

If boardies take the time to pack this well; why the deuce do I pay CGC to throw some bubble wrap in with my slabs? I'm not pulling in nearly as much as they are, yet I make sure my stuff is semi-bullet proof when i ship? rantrant

:applause:

:applause: x 2

I was pretty surprised after receiving my first box of submissions. I was even lucky enough to receive a broken slab on the first book out of the box. Their packaging is decent, but doesn't really seem on par with the packaging requirements/suggestions to be shipped to them. A little extra protection on the bottom of their boxes would go a long way, IMO. 2c

I used to bubble, then put some cardboard pieces on the ends/corners to help out this stabilizing the slab. The pack around with newpaper, nice and tight to help prevent slipping. Still there is also a chance your carrier goes totally postal and decides your package, is meant for soccer practice.

:)