• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

People were pretty upset with the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. I suspect there are more Jap covers comics then there are Nazi covers. Lets see them. (thumbs u

exciting35.jpg

Does anybody have a list of the Japanese war comics?

One of the things that has always fascinated me was the difference in the way our enemies were depicted in comics. For the most part, the Germans are drawn with a fairly normal, albeit menacing appearances. While they may be comitting atrocities like poisoning candy to give to war oprhans on Exciting #39 or mustering the forces of the occult like the ghouls on Mystic #7, they appear to be normal humans.

exciting39a.jpg

The Japanese, on the other hand, are often depicted with marked racial stereotypes. The eyes, bucked teeth (and even sometimes fangs), huge ears, and yellow skin are all common on comic covers.

supermagician15a.jpg

I think it was in one of Stephen Ambrose's books on the war that he talked about the fact that there was a deep seated racial hatred towards the Japanese that didn't exist to the same extent with the Germans. He felt this was in part due to the fact that many Americans at the time were of European descent and might easily be fighting against a long lost relative. He also thought it might explain the Japanese-Americans internment camps that were utilized by the U.S. Similar camps were not set up for German-Americans.

Now that I've wasted everyone's time with my ramblings, here's some scans:

fightingyank12a.jpg

action63.jpg

captainamerica31.jpg

One of the things that has always fascinated me was the difference in the way our enemies were depicted in comics. For the most part, the Germans are drawn with a fairly normal, albeit menacing appearances. While they may be comitting atrocities like poisoning candy to give to war oprhans on Exciting #39 or mustering the forces of the occult like the ghouls on Mystic #7, they appear to be normal humans.

The Japanese, on the other hand, are often depicted with marked racial stereotypes. The eyes, bucked teeth (and even sometimes fangs), huge ears, and yellow skin are all common on comic covers.

I think it was in one of Stephen Ambrose's books on the war that he talked about the fact that there was a deep seated racial hatred towards the Japanese that didn't exist to the same extent with the Germans. He felt this was in part due to the fact that many Americans at the time were of European descent and might easily be fighting against a long lost relative. He also thought it might explain the Japanese-Americans internment camps that were utilized by the U.S. Similar camps were not set up for German-Americans.

Now that I've wasted everyone's time with my ramblings, here's some scans:

I think you are right. Pure racism. In Canada, Japanese decendants were arrested, locked up in camps and their possessions were confiscated. German decendants were relatively unmolested and the young men were sent to fight in the Canadian army.