Page 5 of 45 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3428145 - 09/03/09 08:59 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: Mr. Zipper]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Just whistle
 Originally Posted By: Mr. Zipper
 Originally Posted By: r1970d
 Originally Posted By: JohnT
My personal opinion: General has a lot of substanceless threads and posts, and it's gotten tiresome to wade through the fluff...so I have been sticking to some of the other sections of the site.

Exactly.

Lots of negativity at times.

Everything is cyclical and the summer is probably the time when people spend the least amount of time online.

That said, these forums have certainly evolved.

When I first joined it seemed as though they were content driven. Information sharing seemed to be the primary driver and the social aspect was a happy byproduct.

Now, we have a whole new generation of posters whose primary driver appears to be the social aspect.. the boards are much more personality driven. Information sharing is now secondary.

So, if you are an old school information seeker (and not part of the clique), there isn't a whole lot of "stickiness" here anymore. Give it a quick browse and move along. If you are a new gen person seeking social interaction, there are plenty of opportunities to insert yourself.

Genius and common sense in one post.

This is why zippers are better than buttons.

#3428150 - 09/03/09 09:01 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: VintageComics]
ChasingKingKirby Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mechanicsville, VA
I don't think this place is dying at all. I think there is a little burnout, but the amount of actually compelling content on the site is fairly high. The marketplace isn't what I would call "booming", but I've managed to sell some pretty high-end books in only a few months. So there are still "buyers" here. The scandals seem to actually encourage posting not discourage...

#3428151 - 09/03/09 09:02 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: Comicopolis]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
 Originally Posted By: Comicopolis

Genius and common sense in one post.

This is why zippers are better than buttons.

lol

\(worship\)

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#3428167 - 09/03/09 09:08 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: ChasingKingKirby]
lizards2 Offline

I have no registry points, so the only way to exercise my geek superiority is by being a jerk.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oregon Outback - Duckland!!!
 Originally Posted By: MLMeade
I don't think this place is dying at all. I think there is a little burnout, but the amount of actually compelling content on the site is fairly high. The marketplace isn't what I would call "booming", but I've managed to sell some pretty high-end books in only a few months. So there are still "buyers" here. The scandals seem to actually encourage posting not discourage...

I'd say the marketplace is booming with prime material - off hand, I can think of foolkiller and iggy's threads - however, there is way too much stuff for the marketplace to absorb at one time. So, some may think the marketplace is depressed, when in reality, it is flooded with awesome material. I could easily commit to tens of thousands of dollars of more books, but I'd be in time payments until 2012.

#3428169 - 09/03/09 09:08 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: ChasingKingKirby]
Shark Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
 Originally Posted By: MLMeade

I think the more appropriate word for the Marketplace right now is "bombing". lol
"Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy. the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period."

Shark's Feedback Thread:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4294915

#3428181 - 09/03/09 09:14 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: VintageComics]
Flaming_Telepath Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hertfordshire, U.K.
My personal opinion: General has a lot of substanceless threads and posts, and it's gotten tiresome to wade through the fluff...so I have been sticking to some of the other sections of the site.

Exactly.

\(thumbs u

Define negativity.

Is it 'all comics are turd'?

Or more along the lines of 'I'm not happy with where the hobby is heading'?

Because if it's the former, it has no place here. If the latter, it is the one of the prime reasons that these boards will survive and continue to be a place of great education and debate.

http://www.comicanadirect.com

#3428191 - 09/03/09 09:18 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
Ze-man Offline

I offend someone, on some level, somewhere

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Zionsville
Dying?, no.. sleeping yes. \(thumbs u

This place perks up from time to time but I think for the most part we have all talked ourselves out. That and what Zipper said.

Does not mean we don't read the forums daily.

#3428207 - 09/03/09 09:25 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: Ze-man]
BlowUpTheMoon Online   offline

Don't let these guys jerk you around. To change your custom title, go to My Stuff, then go to Preferences. You can change your custom title there.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Buffalo, NY
 Originally Posted By: Ze-man
but I think for the most part we have all talked ourselves out.

Bingo. Most stuff has been talked to death. So it's mostly noobies coming on bringing up topics that have already been hashed out.

#3428212 - 09/03/09 09:28 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: VintageComics]
MCMiles Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3-2-1
I used to come here for the content and information. I found that I liked a lot of the people, and respected even more of them.

Lately I see too many posts that look like this one:

Quote:
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

#3428216 - 09/03/09 09:30 AM Re: Is This Forum Slowly Dying? [Re: Flaming_Telepath]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
 Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath

Exactly.

\(thumbs u

Define negativity.

Is it 'all comics are turd'?

Or more along the lines of 'I'm not happy with where the hobby is heading'?

Because if it's the former, it has no place here. If the latter, it is the one of the prime reasons that these boards will survive and continue to be a place of great education and debate.

I agree with you 100%.

The negativity I was talking about had nothing to do with debates, strong discussions or the direction of the hobby.

It had to do with the name calling, personal attacks, the "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" posts, the "who's the loser who paid that much for that big book" etc etc etc.

As membership increases, the hobby (ie forum membership) grows and as comics get more expensive there has been in increase in drastic emotions, partisanship and personal attacks.

That's what I was talking about.

I love a good, strong discussion.

As long as people can keep cool heads we should be able to discuss anything and at worst walk away calm and agree to disagree.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

Page 5 of 45 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
My 19th century listings at Great Collections - silver and gold.....
by Hard Times
Today at 08:33 PM
More of my 7070 Type and Variety coins at GreatCollections
by oih82w8
Today at 05:30 PM
Ebay Consignments - Old Holders, Toners, Type Coins, Rainbow Toned Peace Dollar
by coinman_23885
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
FSH; BU roll 1956 Franklins fresh and crisp $335
by cucamongacoin
Yesterday at 05:56 PM
Comics Marketplace
Wolverine Origins #28 2nd Print Auction
by amnesiac
49 minutes 59 seconds ago
Superman Adventures #5 CGC 9.8 1st Livewire
by The Resurrection
55 minutes 21 seconds ago
mix CGC items and exclusive for sale. PM me if you want something
by Glynn Sr
Today at 06:47 PM
SOLD and CLOSED!
by Dr. Balls
Today at 05:29 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing Aspen Titles