Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3409154 - 08/26/09 10:30 PM Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age
Stronguy Offline

Nah, it's only a .38. My mom shoots one of those.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Dallas
As some of you may recall I completed my Marvel Bronze Age set a couple of years ago. I've been slowly reading my way through them but it's taking forever. I've got 2 kids and I like to fight so there's not a lot of free time.

I'm pretty familiar with all of the mainstream titles and their story lines. I've read entire runs Avengers, X-Men and stuff like that. What I thought I'd focus on is the in-between stuff. Things like The Cat, 2001: A Space Odyssey... you know, the stuff that not many people read.

So, in this thread I'll start posting reviews of some of the more interesting books or runs I find. Some of these things completely fly under the radar so this should be an interesting experiment. Posting will be in a random order at first because I'm already through a long box and a quarter. Gee, only 15 more boxes to go.

Forgive me if I ramble. Some of this stuff is really bad.

Click here to add this thread to your watch list.
www.BoxOfComics.com
Comic Art Fan Gallery

#3409158 - 08/26/09 10:32 PM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: Stronguy]
Stronguy Offline

Nah, it's only a .38. My mom shoots one of those.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Dallas
Champions
Issues 1-17
October 1975 - January 1978

Rating: 2.5/5 (thanks to issues 11-15)

The formula is simple... take some B-listers who can't float a book on their own, mix in some really bad writing and stick them in LA. That's pretty much what the Champions is all about.

The first 7 issues of this run are really bad. Bad plot, bad dialog (Tony Isabella), bad art (Don Heck)... just bad. One interesting thing to note was issues 1-3 were originally intended to be a Giant-Size book and contain Black Goliath. Instead they decided to make it a bi-monthly book and move BG to his own equally as sucky book.

I really like the whole idea of fan turned pro but, honestly, is there anything that Tony Isabella wrote in the 70s that didn't just blow? And Don Heck's art... geesh! I've got a lot of respect for DH's work in the early days of Marvel but by the mid-late 70s it was becoming really dated. Fortunately issues 3, 6, 7 and 8 had George Tuska art. Some panels of his work are absolutely beautiful and, at times, he overcomes Vince Coletta's ham-handed inking and you get something really nice.

At issue 8 Bill Mantlo takes over writing and things get much better. The stories have a much better flow and there is a great drop off in suckatude. In fact, I would say, some of the stories are pretty decent (by mid-70s standards).

The real gem is in issues 11-15 when some guy named John Byrne starts the art. Talk about a quantum leap forward. These books are worth picking up just for his work.

Alas, as with all great things this series comes to a screeching halt with issue 17. Not even Byrne's solid work (with a little help from Bob Layton) could save it.

Edit: I guess I blocked this out because it definitely one of the low points. For the first few issues Angle gets a really nifty man-cruising outfit. This things is fit for nothing more than making a some quick trips up to San Francisco and picking up a "friend" for the weekend. It looked like he should have been trying out of a role in Barbarella or something. Marvel got several letters asking about it and they said it was changed from his blue X-Men costume because there was already too much blue on the page with Black Widow and Ghost Rider's outfits. I guess the feedback was so bad they eventually switched back to the old design but changed the color to red. Better run out and pick up a copy because this might be the next minor Bronze Age key.

Pros:
-- Black Widow... I've always had a thing for a red head in skin tight, black leather (I assume it's leather... it least that's what I'm going with).
-- Moments of greatness from George Tuska in spite of Vince Coletta.
-- Bill Mantlo taking over in issue 8.
-- John Byrne's art in issues 11-15
-- A cool story with Magneto and Dr. Doom in issue 16.
-- Angle switches to the red costume he'll have for the next 10+ years.

Cons:
-- Tony Isabella's horrible writing.
-- Don Heck's dated art.
-- Vince Coletta man handling George Tuska's art.
-- No one being able to draw a guy with a flaming skull for a head (except for Byrne).
-- Angel and his homoerotic attire.

Edited by Stronguy (08/27/09 09:07 AM)
www.BoxOfComics.com
Comic Art Fan Gallery

#3409503 - 08/27/09 12:47 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: Stronguy]
DiceX Online   offline

PREMATURE TOTAL NEWBIFICATION

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The land of Oranges...
You read the whole series?
That would have pushed me over the edge.

#3409532 - 08/27/09 01:00 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: DiceX]
HouseofComics.Com Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Dude, I totally love the idea of this thread! I'll read every review you post.
Forum discounts on most comics from the last 40-50 years.

#3409563 - 08/27/09 01:18 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: HouseofComics.Com]
piper Online   content

Fortunately, I'm below the radar on these boards and am not worthy of a custom title.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Edmonton, AB
 Originally Posted By: HouseofComics.Com

+1

Mid Grade Frazetta Famous Funnies

#3409566 - 08/27/09 01:21 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: piper]
HouseofComics.Com Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Berkeley, CA
And as a request, I'd be curious what you think of Super-Villain Team-Up and Invaders. Wouldn't mind Kull and Red Sonja either, as I'm far more familiar with Conan 1-115 than I am those series.

Oh, and Peter the Little Pest.
Forum discounts on most comics from the last 40-50 years.

#3409567 - 08/27/09 01:21 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: piper]
thehumantorch Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Alberta Canada
Great thread. Keep 'em coming. Can't wait for Howard the Duck.

My CAF

THIS JUST IN

#3409616 - 08/27/09 02:02 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: HouseofComics.Com]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Stockton on Tees UK
 Originally Posted By: HouseofComics.Com

+ 1 \(thumbs u

Steve H who are you? where are my Dads 57 comics you borrowed on 17.09.1980 and never returned? (Seriously they were key Silver Marvels so if you know him PM me)

#3409764 - 08/27/09 06:31 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: nmtg9]
TupennyConan Offline

I deserve all of the love & adoration from the True Legend that this has won for me.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Between the Atoms

I'll be here all the way through.

~~ Odysseus, Homer, The Odyssey

#3409794 - 08/27/09 07:08 AM Re: Stronguy Reviews The Marvel Bronze Age [Re: TupennyConan]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Collecting Pernts
I'm not sure I can think of anything worse than Tuska inked by Coletta.

Page 1 of 21 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FS: 1947 S Philippines Fifty Centavo Mint State Toned
by Doily
10:40 AM
WTB-Top Pop 21st Century coins.
by Kapimono
08:48 PM
1924-S/S SLQ 25C RARE CONTEMPORY COUNERFEIT
by carnellrules3
04:34 PM
New Group of Morgans up for sale
by TetonWarrior
03:55 PM
Comics Marketplace
X-Force #2 NM+ (3 copies) $55 shipped US
by paperheart
Lucky Fights it Through VD EC Kurtzman Giveaway 1949 CGC 9.0 Universal
by eccomic
10:36 AM
AH! Adam Hughes - Catwoman 2-Card Puzzle
by Shepherd
10:33 AM
Death of Wolverine CGC 9.8
by kuddy
10:29 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum