• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

Great tutorial, gav (thumbs u

One suggestion I have is that instead of just using a random oversized bag in step 3, I use magazine-size bags - you can pick up 100 of those for $4-5, and they're great for keeping bagged & boarded books together.

Great tutorial, gav (thumbs u

One suggestion I have is that instead of just using a random oversized bag in step 3, I use magazine-size bags - you can pick up 100 of those for $4-5, and they're great for keeping bagged & boarded books together.

They do indeed (thumbs u

I'm going to have to get me some of those.

Only thing I would add is to put tape on the corners of the cardboard sandwich. My first submission to CGC got damaged a little because I didn't do this. I think they play football with packages in Florida...

For any sale, even if it is a $1 comic, I pack as you showed above. I give the option for a box or bubble mailer and provide the differences in price. Everyone has chosen the box method so far.

This is why I use magazine or treasury size bags. At least, they're see-thru. :grin:

I get you now, sorry I missed that part before (thumbs u

Great stuff Boozad, it should be a sticky, question where can I find cheap cardboard as I am always running out?

Since you live in the states MR COMICBOOK, go to usps com and order some priority mail boxes for cardboard. You can order up to 500 at one time, and they are FREE. No-cost shipping, too. I accidentally ordered some FPO boxes, and I use those for cardboard sandwiches.

Great stuff Boozad, it should be a sticky, question where can I find cheap cardboard as I am always running out?

Since you live in the states MR COMICBOOK, go to usps com and order some priority mail boxes for cardboard. You can order up to 500 at one time, and they are FREE. No-cost shipping, too. I accidentally ordered some FPO boxes, and I use those for cardboard sandwiches.

Yep, you get an awesome service through USPS. Royal Mail pails in comparison.

Using the Priority Mail boxes for other purposes (or just for the cardboard) will eventually increase the price for the rest of us. They're already spending additional money printing on the inside of the boxes which I'm sure they will pass on to the customer.

(I realize this practice also precludes re-using OLD priority boxes... but using NEW boxes for cardboard sandwiches is really theft.)

I buy 200lb cardboard from Uline. It costs money, but I'm assuming the person I send it to reuses it and sends it to someone else in turn. I also recycle old boxes and large cardboard computer boxes for these purposes.

I also bubble wrap the cardboard bundles. I do one pass bubbles facing out, then another bubbles facing in. I find there is a 0% chance of any impact damage this way. Some of you that received raw books sold by me have seen my method. It works really well.

Next time I do a shipment to CGC I'll post some pics.

Using the Priority Mail boxes for other purposes (or just for the cardboard) will eventually increase the price for the rest of us. They're already spending additional money printing on the inside of the boxes which I'm sure they will pass on to the customer.

(I realize this practice also precludes re-using OLD priority boxes... but using NEW boxes for cardboard sandwiches is really theft.)

I buy 200lb cardboard from Uline. It costs money, but I'm assuming the person I send it to reuses it and sends it to someone else in turn. I also recycle old boxes and large cardboard computer boxes for these purposes.

Great point made here by Shin!

I cut up all the boxes I receive, and save all the packing material. I also buy diapers for my son from costco and that box nets me 4 oversized pieces for mailers. And any other boxes I can chop up.

Taking the new boxes from usps to cut up for shipping is going to catch up to all of us as shin said. The boxes are "free" but they are not really free. In shipping and stamp costs, we pay for everything.

And the bags you receive from CGC for your slabs work great for bundling books before sandwiching between the cardboard. I use the Hotflips resealable bags for slabs, and just save the cgc ones for shipping raw books. (thumbs u

How much are the resealable CGC bags from Hotflips Pat?

And the bags you receive from CGC for your slabs work great for bundling books before sandwiching between the cardboard. I use the Hotflips resealable bags for slabs, and just save the cgc ones for shipping raw books. (thumbs u

Like $5.00 ? They may be $7.00, but I think they were 5.

I need to get me some of those real soon.

I can find out when they are setting up locally and grab you some. I need to start hitting shows to find a dealer to buy my old stock anyways. (thumbs u

Great idea Pat. (thumbs u

I can find out when they are setting up locally and grab you some. I need to start hitting shows to find a dealer to buy my old stock anyways. (thumbs u

Thanks Pat that would be cool. (thumbs u

I wanted to mention I know several people who have been "caught" using Priorty mail cardboard (even recycled ones not just cutting up new) USPS catches an inside out box or a cardboard box custom made from USPS box they will tack a priorty mail sticker on it and pass the cost on to the customer as postage due. (I've only heard of it a few times and once it was a box recycled) but it does happen.