Page 1 of 42 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3377506 - 08/14/09 10:19 AM How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
Boozad Offline

Please, please. No more man-crushes. I've hit my limit.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: England.
I know all of this will mainly be preaching to the converted, but we’ve all heard horror stories of books arriving damaged (I’ve had more than my fair share), so hopefully this may come in use at some point and no offence is intended to boardies who know how to pack their books!

Step 1:

Find a suitable oversized box that is substantially bigger than the books.

Step 2:

I’m packing ten books here, so what I do when sending more than one book is place all of the books into one larger bag. The reason for this will be explained in a moment. Turn half (or as close to half) of the books facing inwards so the backing boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack.

Step 3:

Fold the bag around the stack of books snugly and tape it shut securely, this will prevent any of the books moving around in the sandwich you’re going to make.
The reason for using a bag is that there is no trying to rip tape of the comic bags (nightmare) when the recipient opens the package. The tape can be cut from the outer bag quite easily and the books are free straight away.

Step 4:

Next up, find two sturdy pieces of cardboard. They need to be bigger in dimension than the stack of books but smaller than the internal dimensions of the box.

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

Step 6:

Take the second piece of cardboard and lay it onto the exposed side of the stack of books, making a sandwich so to speak. Now tape the sandwich together with a piece of tape on each side (larger stacks again – more tape again). Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.
I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

Step 7:

Now you’re ready to put your book sandwich into your box. Make a protective layer across the bottom of the box. I’ve used packing peanuts, but bubble wrap or even newspaper will work. (For domestic packages I will place the oversized cardboard sandwich into a bubble mailer. Any corner or side impacts are absorbed by the cardboard, not the books).

Place the book sandwich on top of the protective layer, then fill up the remaining space with packing, making sure if that any gaps around the sides of the sandwich are filled.

Step 7:

Close up the box and make sure that every opening is covered in packing tape. I prefer to use ‘Fragile’ tape, the people who handle the package may not give a damn about your books, but hey – at least you’ve tried to warn them!

The same principle applies to slabbed books, cereal packets just don't cut it.

Step 1:

Plenty of bubble wrap. Cardboard sandwiches are just as easily applied.

Step 2:

Pack out the box with plenty of protective padding.

Step 3:

Tape up the box securely, making sure all open sides are taped up.

So there you have it, pretty simple really. This isn’t a bible and as I said at the start of the post – I don’t mean to cause offence to anybody, I know from experience how many boardies on here know how to pack books!

But for those new to shipping books, or those who just like to throw their books into a bubble mailer or a plain envelope, just remember, if you have sold another collector a lot of money’s worth of books, it’s worth 15 minutes of your time to make sure they arrive safely \(thumbs u [/quote]

#3377513 - 08/14/09 10:23 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Boozad]
DrWatson Offline

"What are you armed with?"
"Guess."
"Guess?"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Twatosaurus rex
You should have double boxed.

"When in a room full of people and no one has your back; it's time to move your back." ~ Anonymous

I think that life's too short for this. I want back my ignorance and bliss. I think I've had enough of this. Blow me... one last kiss.

July 25, 2009.

#3377518 - 08/14/09 10:23 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: DrWatson]
Boozad Offline

Please, please. No more man-crushes. I've hit my limit.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: England.
My wife said that.

#3377523 - 08/14/09 10:25 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Boozad]
joecgcmaniac Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: central cali
 Originally Posted By: Boozad
My wife said that.

doh\!

#3377551 - 08/14/09 10:30 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Boozad]
EvilAsh Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: United States of Zombieland
My wife said that.

lol

#3377572 - 08/14/09 10:34 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Boozad]
Designer Toast Offline

Quoting your own initial thread post: take seven shots.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: NMish Silliness
My wife said that.

Boozad!

Great pics and tutorial on how to pack books. \(thumbs u

The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct.

If you're lucky enough to do well, it's your responsibility to send the elevator back down.

Why you should never buy a PGX book

It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.

#3377629 - 08/14/09 10:53 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Designer Toast]
scottish Offline

So I found this Action 1 in MS70...er...GAH! Damn dual hobbies!

FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Everett, WA
Definitely a good tutorial! \(thumbs u

#3377707 - 08/14/09 11:16 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: scottish]
the blob Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

fine for $50 of books, silly for a $5 book

if someboad wants to pay me for a half an hour of time and materials to pack it this way, then fine, but i don't wasnt to charge $10-$15 to ship a couple o fbooks within the states. i really hope people don't expect this for a smaller purchase. i haven't run into anyone who does after shipping out 1,000+ sales of comics and books in the las 10 or so years.

while i think what you've shown is lovely, i disagree with the big box idea. when i box i like my sandwhich to be pretty close to the edges of the inside of the box and then i have it wrapped in a bit of cushion. i bought a bundle or three of u-line boxes that fit perfectly like this, i don't want the sandwhich wiggling around in there. i don't understand the point of peanuts except for maybe a slab. or maybe if you're talking about a block of 30 books floating around in there.

#3377711 - 08/14/09 11:17 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: Designer Toast]
sakaridis Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Athens, Greece
Oh, yeah? If you're so good at packing, how come you sent me a slab with only a mailing label attached to it?

(Seriously, great tutorial, Gav! \(thumbs u )

#3377720 - 08/14/09 11:23 AM Re: Maybe The Wrong Place But... How To Pack Your Books For Shipping [Re: sakaridis]
MR.COMICBOOK Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: boston.ma
Great stuff Boozad, it should be a sticky, question where can I find cheap cardboard as I am always running out?

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed) 16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Page 1 of 42 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set For Sale
by stevek426
01:48 PM
Welcome to August - everything in my store is 15% off!
by stldanceartist
10:17 AM
WTB WHITE 1879 proof Morgan dollar
by HashTag™
12:07 AM
BUYING: WHEAT CENTS
by Wheatcollector
08:21 PM
Comics Marketplace
SDCC '14 Complete DC Set: BM32, Grayson 1, HQ 1 sketch/blank, SM32
by heymikesays
Batman Adventures #12 NM- SOLD
by paperheart
05:24 PM
Selling some of my comics to pay car payment.
by maidenmate91
03:30 PM
X-MEN #120 CGC 9.8, X-MEN #121 CGC 9.8 & X-MEN #122 CGC 9.8
by loboagain
02:59 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum