• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

Whenever I'm out searching for comics, I find that the methods that stir the most anticipation inside of me are whenever I go to garage sales, estate sales, flea markets or antique malls. You just never know what you're going to come across at one of these or at what price. I find comics other ways (eBay, the boards, online auctions, etc.) but my anticipation always seems to be higher with the old manual foot search methods.

So post all of your great garage sale/estate sale/flea market/antique mall finds here. Doesn't have to be a comic either. It could be magazines, toys, posters or anything else you deem appropriate but try to keep it comic related if possible.

One of the best finds I ever had was in Wisconsin on my way to a programming class in Minnesota a few years ago. About half-way there I stopped at an antique mall which was 3 levels high. Looked and looked and found nothing on the first 2 levels. Got to the 3rd level, made a left turn and looked down on the floor to my left. I just about had a heart attack. There sitting on the floor was an Exciting Comics #49 and an Adventure Comics #62. :o And what was the price on them? How about a nice low 10 bucks each? Needless to say, I snatched them up as faster than the Flash. I ended up selling both of them but made a nice healthy profit on each. :applause:

I'll start it out with some comics and a lunch box. Picked up the first comic at a garage sale and the rest from a local antique mall. The lunch box came from another garage sale and I paid a whopping 50 cents for it. :banana:

LittleMissSunbeamComics4FN.jpg

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

th_WarIsHell9VF-NM.jpgth_WarIsHell10NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell11NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell12NM.jpgth_WarIsHell13NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell14NM-1.jpg

MarvelSuperHeroesLunchBox1.jpg

I had this pail when I was a lad! :applause:

Whenever I'm out searching for comics, I find that the methods that stir the most anticipation inside of me are whenever I go to garage sales, estate sales, flea markets or antique malls. You just never know what you're going to come across at one of these or at what price. I find comics other ways (eBay, the boards, online auctions, etc.) but my anticipation always seems to be higher with the old manual foot search methods.

So post all of your great garage sale/estate sale/flea market/antique mall finds here. Doesn't have to be a comic either. It could be magazines, toys, posters or anything else you deem appropriate but try to keep it comic related if possible.

One of the best finds I ever had was in Wisconsin on my way to a programming class in Minnesota a few years ago. About half-way there I stopped at an antique mall which was 3 levels high. Looked and looked and found nothing on the first 2 levels. Got to the 3rd level, made a left turn and looked down on the floor to my left. I just about had a heart attack. There sitting on the floor was an Exciting Comics #49 and an Adventure Comics #62. :o And what was the price on them? How about a nice low 10 bucks each? Needless to say, I snatched them up as faster than the Flash. I ended up selling both of them but made a nice healthy profit on each. :applause:

I'll start it out with some comics and a lunch box. Picked up the first comic at a garage sale and the rest from a local antique mall. The lunch box came from another garage sale and I paid a whopping 50 cents for it. :banana:

LittleMissSunbeamComics4FN.jpg

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

th_WarIsHell9VF-NM.jpgth_WarIsHell10NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell11NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell12NM.jpgth_WarIsHell13NM-.jpgth_WarIsHell14NM-1.jpg

Cool stuff! :applause:

That Judge Dredd #1 is sharp! :o

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

Thanks. Both the Judge Dredd and the Usagi Yojimbo are both 9.6/9.8's (I think). I realized after posting that the little spot at the bottom of both comics is on the scanner bed and not on the comics.

I got about three NM SSWS in the 160's and three NM Neal Adam's GL's at an antique mall about 15 years ago, for about $10 a piece - which I think was going rate back then. I was happy with the find at the time. But all I've ever found any other time is over-priced krap. And I'm too old to remember which ones they were, so won't be scanning them. :sorry:

When I was 12 yrs old my parents made me take piano lessons from this older woman who had children in their 50's , one day I came in for my lesson and she said she was cleaning out the attic and gave me a stamp book that was full and turned out to be worth about 500 bucks, anyway she went on to tell me that she gave the previous student a box full of comic books that her son collected in the 40 and 50s. I told her I was a comic fanatic and she said she didnt know that or she would have given them to me . I asked her what they were(about a thousand times) but she didnt know. I was sick for weeks to come . The box that got away.

Edited by schleprock

This morning's haul from a local garage sale:

Marvel Team-Up #141 (1st black costume) 9.6+

Official Marvel Index to ASM #1-9 9.6+

Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1 (1987) 9.6+

Action Comics #433 8.5

Batman: Shadow of The Bat #1 Collector's Set 9.6+

Batman: The Killing Joke #1 (1st Printing) 9.6+

Detective Comics #448 8.5

Green Lantern/Green Arrow #103 & #104 in 9.2

Shadow of The Batman #1 9.6+

Superman Family #209,213,214,216,217,218,219,221,222 All in 9.2 to 9.6

Watchmen #4,6,8,11,12 All in 9.2/9.6

Wonder Woman #240 9.2, #244 9.4

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

Thanks. Both the Judge Dredd and the Usagi Yojimbo are both 9.6/9.8's (I think). I realized after posting that the little spot at the bottom of both comics is on the scanner bed and not on the comics.

love the JD # 1...owned a copy years ago. no 9.6/9.8 though. looks like it's got a nasty crease on the front cover from the top centre of the 'W' all the way to his Eagle belt...8O(

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

love the JD # 1...owned a copy years ago. no 9.6/9.8 though. looks like it's got a nasty crease on the front cover from the top centre of the 'W' all the way to his Eagle belt...8O(

:gossip: That's a printer's crease which won't affect the grade. They're both at CGC right now and scheduled for grading. Should know the grades on Monday or Tuesday of next week. :wishluck:

JudgeDredd1NM.jpg

UsagiYojimbo1NM.jpg

:gossip: That's a printer's crease which won't affect the grade. They're both at CGC right now and scheduled for grading. Should know the grades on Monday or Tuesday of next week. :wishluck:

good luck with em both!!! :wishluck: