Page 34 of 39 « First<3233343536>Last »
Topic Options
#3324609 - 07/21/09 03:58 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: Transplant]
BOOT Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your knowledge and logic.

So if you have a moment, please educate me:

1. What is a "reasonable" time in a case like this? Is it different than say, at a convention? Within what time frame does the seller have a right to expect payment from a seller who wants a book but does not have the cash, when another cash buyer is waiting?

2. Should NM have revealed ahead of time to SA that he would need time to pay for the book? Would that fact have helped SA evaluate two competing offers?

3. I reviewed the "complete" emails between Nearmint and SA. After they agreed on the price, NM then says he will need extra time for payment. I don't see anywhere that SA agrees to NM's unilaterally changed terms. Was SA then still obligated to honor the now-revised deal?

NM says SA "had absolutely no problem with the time frame." But in his first response, SA makes it pretty clear that he worried that NM might not be able to pay.

4. After how many days without payment from NM do you think SA would have been ethically free to pursue the other offer? From the undated emails we're not sure if the delay would have been one, two, or seven days.

I've been on both sides of this issue. When I lost out on a book to a quicker, more deep-pocketed buyer, I shrugged and figured the law of the land was "You Snooze, You Lose." I missed the update to "You Snooze, You Lose, Then You Whine about it on the internet."

I'm asking these in all seriousness and if you have time, I appreciate your response. I have a couple of contracts coming up I might need some help with.

Thanks!

#3324619 - 07/21/09 04:09 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: DrWatson]
BOOT Offline

Quote:
We all know logic fails this individual, Jeff.

He was lurking through the boards and found this thread to be such a bastion of injustice that he just couldn't bear to let it stand without comment?

Yeah, right.

If it isn't Daryl, then it's a shill with an obvious axe to grind. Go sharpen yourself somewhere else, tool.

No need to be rude, sidekick.

I know banging out over 20,000 posts in just over three years takes some time (that's around 20 every single day - good work!) but you should get your head out of the computer once in a while.

Because if you're not offended by the stink from this thread, where people are thinking up new synonyms for "puke sack," gleefully talking about how much business they are costing a person, and my favorite, wishing the person would find his wife committing adultery, then you're pretty far gone. All because someone didn't get the comic book they really, really wanted!

All this would have been avoided if someone remembered to check their wallet before stepping up to the table.

#3324620 - 07/21/09 04:09 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: BOOT]
mr.schomburg Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Springtucky!
 Originally Posted By: BOOT

1. What is a "reasonable" time in a case like this? Is it different than say, at a convention? Within what time frame does the seller have a right to expect payment from a seller who wants a book but does not have the cash, when another cash buyer is waiting?

Answer: 3-5 days or what is agreed upon...according to Jeff about 3 days which seems reasonable.

2. Should NM have revealed ahead of time to SA that he would need time to pay for the book? Would that fact have helped SA evaluate two competing offers?

Answer: It appears he did, but I havn't been privy to emails. Also from my time here on boards I have found Jeff to be honest and above board and would have no reason to doubt his word. I believe many here would back that statement up.

3. I reviewed the "complete" emails between Nearmint and SA. After they agreed on the price, NM then says he will need extra time for payment. I don't see anywhere that SA agrees to NM's unilaterally changed terms. Was SA then still obligated to honor the now-revised deal?

Answer: No SA should have told Jeff what he needed or the alternative of not doing so...by the way Question: How did you get access to emails?

NM says SA "had absolutely no problem with the time frame." But in his first response, SA makes it pretty clear that he worried that NM might not be able to pay.

4. After how many days without payment from NM do you think SA would have been ethically free to pursue the other offer? From the undated emails we're not sure if the delay would have been one, two, or seven days.

Answer: Days are not as important as explaining the cost if a time frame is not met, then NM would have been given the option other than believing he had a deal and then finding out he did not. In other words communication between SA to NM explaining what would happen if he didn't put a deposit or pay by X date.

I've been on both sides of this issue. When I lost out on a book to a quicker, more deep-pocketed buyer, I shrugged and figured the law of the land was "You Snooze, You Lose." I missed the update to "You Snooze, You Lose, Then You Whine about it on the internet."

I'm asking these in all seriousness and if you have time, I appreciate your response. I have a couple of contracts coming up I might need some help with.

Thanks!

#3324623 - 07/21/09 04:11 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: mr.schomburg]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
The fact is that there have been several honest and well standing board members who have had poor dealings with this dealer.

All these experiences came at different times and the board members likely did not even know each other when their negative experiences happened.

R.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#3324651 - 07/21/09 04:26 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: BOOT]
nearmint Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jeff in Newport Beach, CA

Time-frame for payment is just as negotiable as price.

Darryl had all the information he needed, and inexplicably accepted both offers. Thank God I didn't have the money in place, or I would have wired money for a book he had sold to someone else.

How about the part where he says "we have a deal".

In my mind, one day after the agreed upon time-frame. In this case, I was early.

It's not whining. It's alerting my friends on the boards to an unethical seller. They'd do the same for me.

Thanks!

DETECTIVE27.COM

WANTED: Okajima war covers. Action Comics #39, 40, 50, 55, 56, 59, 61 in 8.0 or better. Adventure Comics #46 in 4.0 or better. Romantic Marriage #8 in any grade.

VINTAGE PHOTOS WITH COMICS!

#3324657 - 07/21/09 04:31 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: mr.schomburg]
BOOT Offline

Originally Posted By: mr.schomburg

Question: How did you get access to emails?

NM posted the emails here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2544972&fpart=10

Post #2550227 - 08/11/08 08:52 AM

#3324663 - 07/21/09 04:34 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: VintageComics]
skypinkblu Offline

I'm just the coordinator. Just?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Somewhere over the Rainbow
 Originally Posted By: r1970d
The fact is that there have been several honest and well standing board members who have had poor dealings with this dealer.

All these experiences came at different times and the board members likely did not even know each other when their negative experiences happened.

R.

My eBay listings

#3324669 - 07/21/09 04:39 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: BOOT]
skypinkblu Offline

I'm just the coordinator. Just?

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Somewhere over the Rainbow
It's obvious that you're unhappy with the result. You don't need to repeat the inappropriate vulgar imagery.

Really, I don't mean to offend or irritate. I wish you would have gotten the comic, and I'll echo the sentiment that another, better one is on its way.

But the crux of the issue is indeed your answer to the second question:

Quote:
2. Prior to beginning price negotiations for purchasing the comic, did you disclose to Silveracre the fact that, were you two to agree on a price, you would be unable to immediately pay that price?

Your answer:

Quote:
It's not relevant that I didn't start negotiations by telling Darryl that payment would be delayed by 3 days.

There is no more relevant fact to the completion of a deal than the ability to pay the purchase price. Contract law states that if you enter into a negotiation and do not disclose a fact that you know will prevent you from completing the deal, you may be entering into the negotiation in bad faith.

By negotiating in bad faith, one person may interfere with another person's ability to complete another deal. If they do prevent that other deal, or damage the other deal, they may be held liable for the damage done by their interference. You should feel fortunate that the other deal was not tanked by your actions.

Regarding your damages, and again, I don't want to offend, but I don't know whether anyone would put a high-dollar value on disappointment over not getting a comic book, especially when you had several opportunities to purchase the comic.

I know you feel strongly about this. But I'll ask you to please consider your response to the situation. By posting this thread and inflaming others' opinions against him, you may have damaged Silveracre's reputation and harmed him financially. Several posters here have stated that this damage could be substantial. Is this your intended result?

Could Silveracre have avoided this by acting differently? Sure, perhaps in retrospect he could have:

1. Qualified you as a buyer up front.
2. Offered you the opportunity to make a deposit that would have allowed him to hold the book, with mutually agreeable payment terms for completing the deal.
3. Knowing you had interest in the book, notified you, as a courtesy, when he had another deal and given you 24 hours to make good before he would be free to sell to the other customer.

Perhaps he might consider taking these steps in future big-dollar deals.

Why am I doing this? Because I don't like seeing a guy's valuable reputation get besmirched. I don't know the guy, I've never done business with him, but I do know it takes a lot of work to run a business and take care of a family.

Try to walk a mile in the other guy's moccasins. Silveracre wanted a deal as much as you did. It fell apart - there may be blame to share. But does he, or anyone, deserve the mean-spirited name-calling shown here? If Silveracre was the bad guy some people suspect, he could easily have shut this thread down months ago.

Anyway, may I politely suggest you consider closing this thread to prevent further damage? I hope you take this in the spirit that this is offered.

I'm here for the comics.

I bought a comic from Silveracre on Ebay. I PAID for it immediately. He refused to send me the book, he said there was an error in his listing. He failed to refund from the Paypal payment I sent him, so I was charged Paypal fees to boot.

There is no possible defense in my case. He offered an item for sale, I paid for it, he refused to send the book (and the difference in what he wanted was probably less than $50.00).

He lost me as a customer over what was a rather small amount, because he never even offered (after I asked) to refund the Paypal fees, he just ignored me, and I HAD purchased before.

Edited by skypinkblu (07/21/09 04:44 PM)

My eBay listings

#3324691 - 07/21/09 04:48 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: skypinkblu]
nearmint Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

From board member Ken Aldred:

Petty is an understatement.

I once ordered a few hundred magazine bags from silveracre, to be collected from a Manchester, England comic mart, which at the time I attended regularly.

When I arrived, he told me he'd decided to sell them all to someone else shortly before, and "unfortunately" had none left.

Then he said, very forcefully, "It's OK that?! - Isn't it?! - Yeah?!"

That is, attempted to browbeat me, on my first order with him, into accepting that this selfishness and total lack of concern was somehow acceptable behaviour. (Oh, the mart had only been open an hour, so I wasn't late-in-the-day or anything.)

I thought quietly to myself, "How utterly pathetic and desperate. All over a few comic bags."

I then said, "Well, you could fill my missing order by mail?", to which he replied, in a very angry tone, and pointing extremely aggressively at my face...
"Yeah, and you'll pay the postage!!"

(This was in front of a pal of mine who has a table at the mart, by the way. I always like to give some indication that I can be substantiated.)

So, regardless of the nature or value of the order you place, a few cheap bags or a CGC Batman 1, the misbehaviour never seems to stop. Personally, this makes my skin crawl, literally, and I can't be far enough away from it. One of many here in Britain, apparently.

DETECTIVE27.COM

WANTED: Okajima war covers. Action Comics #39, 40, 50, 55, 56, 59, 61 in 8.0 or better. Adventure Comics #46 in 4.0 or better. Romantic Marriage #8 in any grade.

#3324699 - 07/21/09 04:51 PM Re: I just got royally screwed by an Englishman! [Re: nearmint]
nearmint Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

From board member everlongcomics:

Well this morning I was skimming through ebay before I headed off to work & saw something I was going to buy. Did the usual, logged into ebay & went to place a bid & oh, it says I'm blocked from buying? Quite strange I thought. Having a 100% positive feedback of over 1240 I thought it must be a mistake since I have bought from them before & there didn't seem to be a problem. So, I sent them a message, just asking, 'Hi, I saw an item you have for sale but I seem to be blocked from bidding can I ask why?'
This is the exact reply I got ...
'Hi, You complained about comic, as it had barcode on cover rather than bat symbol its not possible to check photos on every order and as you are 1 of only 2 in 10,000 plus who have mensioned this , its easier not to deal with you.
Regards Anyway Darryl.

DETECTIVE27.COM

Page 34 of 39 « First<3233343536>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Silver Eagle, Maple 1oz, Shield Nickel, 3 Cent, Seated Liberty Quarts &
by FlipofaCoin
20 minutes 5 seconds ago
$20 FOLDOVER ERROR. MUST SEE
by BRIAN339
Today at 07:09 PM
FS: 1890-CC MORGAN PCGS MS63
by agentjim007
Today at 06:21 PM
For Sale: 1988 P PCGS MS66 Washington Quarter
by erwindoc
Today at 03:15 PM
Comics Marketplace
10 cent romance, war, western, crime, etc
by Shrevvy
Today at 09:13 PM
Chew 19 cgc ss 9.8
by tjanse
Today at 08:54 PM
Amazing spiderman 59 & 61 cgc
by tjanse
Today at 08:48 PM
Like Weeds in a Garden - Gilbert Classics
by ft88
Today at 08:01 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing