• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

No. It is 30 days before either party can be added to the probation list.

Nobody should be taking 30 days to either ship or pay.

Correctomundo. :sumo:

30 days is way too long IMO.

No. It is 30 days before either party can be added to the probation list.

Correctomundo. :sumo:

30 days is way too long IMO.

IMO also, but it seems to be working. :)

Question: a new board member bought a few of books about 3 weeks ago. I sent him the invoice after the thread and he responded by adding some more books to his stack. So I sent him the updated invoice and he has since been unresponsive to my PMs. I can see that he is reading them but not responding. I really don't mind waiting to receive payments. I have a couple of others that are holding off on payment but it was communicated so I'm cool with that. Is it 30 days for the buyer to pay or is that just the sellers time line to deliver?

Works both ways.

Yes. It is 30 days before either party can be added to the probation list.

corrected that for you.

Unfortunately I have another name to add to the list: TFL

TFL Bought a Human Torch 1 CGC 8.0 from me for $25,000 on 12/19/2008. The book was purchased on time payments, with a down payment due within 2 weeks and additional payments to follow. Fast forward 5 1/2 months and I have yet to receive even one cent in payment towards this comic.

Anyone who has bought from me before probably knows that I'm pretty flexible about this sort of thing, and if someone buys a book and later realizes he cant pay for it I'll usually let people off the hook. But this transaction was such a negative experience I felt I had to warn other board members. Especially after finding out recently that I am not the only person he has done this to.

TFL didn't let me know he would not be paying me for this book until 5/14/09, approximately 5 months after he bought it. Before that it was nothing but promise after promise that a check would be in the mail or a payment would be sent, only nothing would ever show up.

When TFL finally did admit to me that he wouldn't be buying the book, he was not apologetic about it at all. He even went so far as to blame a disagreement we had gotten into a day earlier (on 5/13/09) as the reason why he was not paying me for the book, despite having no problems with me whatsoever during the previous 5 months of non-payment.

I do think it is ridiculous in the first place to try to use a disagreement that occurred in May of '09 as an excuse why payment was not sent for 5 months prior. But it is also worth noting that the disagreement was resolved several days later when I agreed to everything that TFL had asked for, even though I felt he had gone way over the line at that point. Even still, he is refusing to pay me for the book.

(For anyone curious, the disagreement centered around a second book worth about $1000 that he purchased from me in the same sales thread back in December that he finally DID get around to paying for in May. Since I'd been holding a $25,000 book for him for almost 6 months at that point without ever being sent even $1 towards it, I ASKED him if as a show of good faith he could send me a deposit towards the HT 1 prior to me shipping out the other book, he decided to use that request as his excuse for why I would not be receiving payment at all.)

For anyone interested by the way (and since I know TFL will jump in and try to spin this like its my fault rather than taking responsibility for his actions) the PM I wrote him was as follows:

"Hi Joey,

I hope this isn't too much of a sticking point (if it is, we'll have to figure something out that works for both of us) but I was actually hoping to receive a down payment on the Human Torch 1 prior to shipping out the Avengers 4. I hope you understand, but I've been holding onto that book for quite some time now and haven't received a down payment for it yet.

So if possible, even though i'm probably being unnecessary here, for my own peace of mind I'd really prefer to have a deposit in hand prior to shipping the Avengers 4. If this works for you, great. If not, let me know and we'll figure something out.

Thanks!"

(Post edited for length since I'm rambling as it is. I'm happy to share the entire post if anyone needs to see)

TFL told me that this request is the reason why he will not be paying me for the Human Torch 1. (The book that I had already been waiting on payment for since December of last year) All of this happened over a weekend by the way, but first thing Monday morning I decided to to overnight him the Avengers 4 anyway, knowing full-well he was going to stiff me on the Human Torch 1 regardless and even when the Avengers 4 arrived he couldn't even muster up a "Thank you".

When I was trying to decide what to do about all this by the way, I called up a good friend of mine for advice who is also a board member. When he found out the name of the board member I was dealing with, he told me that TFL had also backed out of a purchase he'd made with my friend on the boards recently too. (He decided it was not worth pursuing, but still I find it interesting that the first person I called about this had an experience with TFL almost exactly the same as I did.)

TFL knows that I had a partner on the Human Torch 1 that I had to buy out way back in December in order to sell TFL the book on the time payment plan he needed. He also knows that I turned down a $27000 offer on this book 2 months ago because he was still telling me at the time that he was going to pay me. He also knows that because I had to pay my partner his half of the book up front, I had to borrow money which I've been paying interest on for five months while I waited for TFL to send the agreed upon payments.

At no time has TFL apologized for any of this or been even remotely sympathetic. He has told me multiple times that those are my costs of doing business and they are not his problem. Which I do agree with to a point. But when I read TFL's comments about another situation he was involved in where the roles are reversed I finally felt the need to post this.

CGC sales thread

To date, this transaction with TFL has cost me a $27000 sale I could've had on this book back in March. It has cost me probably close to $1000 in interest charges by now. And it has cost me months of aggravation. Still, even an "I'm sorry, some personal stuff has come up and I am unable to pay for this book at this time" would've probably been enough for me to shrug it off and walk away but I couldn't even get that! Instead I got PMs telling me how the whole thing is my fault.

Anyone who deals with TFL in the future please do so with caution and at your own risk!

Unfortunately I have another name to add to the list: TFL

Sorry to hear this. 5 months without a downpayment or any type of payment and then TFL renegs. The Avengers 4 has nothing to do with the original purchase. You experienced interest charges and you missed opportunities to sell the book because the buyer hadn't paid for the book or informed you that he couldn't start/finish the deal. The only thing you did wrong was to hold the book for so long without any type of payment and that is an indication that you were more than fair about the sale.

My one transaction with you for a Young Men 27 was smooth and pleasant. I still love the book.