• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Has anybody had any recent luck (say the last 3 years) at the conventions or on other sites when it comes to finding early silver age Marvel westerns. (Rawhide KId, Two Gun Kid and Kid colt ) I was recently outbid on a Rawhide Kid 22 that went for 90 bucks. The condition was probably VG+ to VG/FN. Here in Southern California all the conventions seem to be dried up when it comes to these titles. Maybe someone knows a respectable dealer or board member that has had better luck.

I have seen nothing lately! The last time I saw a sizeable lot of the Kirby stuff I prefer was in maybe 1996 at my LCS. I did not miss the opportunity, but it stung the ol' wallet even then.

I always thought the reason I never saw them was that dealers didn't want to lug them around due to low demand. Now I'm not so sure that it isn't because they're all being kept in collections. I still need a bunch of Rawhide Kids! I'll trade an FF 48 for a RK 17!

I have yet to see a Rawhide Kid 17 at any con or store in this area. I hope I have better luck this year in San Diego. I was told by a friend that the Wonder con in SF is the place to go for serious silver age, on top of the fact that it is not as commercial as SD and people that attend still believe in personal hygiene and manners.

I really want to get a hold of 22. :flamed:

I always thought the reason I never saw them was that dealers didn't want to lug them around due to low demand. Now I'm not so sure that it isn't because they're all being kept in collections. I still need a bunch of Rawhide Kids! I'll trade an FF 48 for a RK 17!

Honestly, you'd probably have a hard time finding someone to accept an FF 48 in Fine or below for a Rawhide Kid 17 in VG. Overstreet is way off on Rawhide Kid 17.

Honestly, you'd probably have a hard time finding someone to accept an FF 48 in Fine or below for a Rawhide Kid 17 in VG. Overstreet is way off on Rawhide Kid 17.

So it`s Rawhide Kid #17,Two-Gun Kid #60 that are the keys,so what is the sought after Kid Colt?

Wondercon was pretty amazing this year with major, major dealers. Metro, Harley, Ted, Ritter, Storms, A-1, etc.

We listed most of Kid Colt 2-10 about twenty months ago and they sold fast though I think we still have 4 and 6. I don't think I've ever had early Two-Gun or Rawhide Kids.

Rawhide Kid #22 has always been on pre-hero monster collector lists becuase of it has a monster cover - that keeps HG issues scarce and high in demand. I also like the brown and orange sky...

Here are a couple of Kids from the same era...

RAW_21.jpg

RAW_29.jpg

Marvel mixed up everything in their westerns to keep them selling. From monsters, to gorillas, to the 'old west' super-villain of the day. Passed on a LG copy of this at an auction yesterday:

ikc1171wq.jpg

a cross between the Kingpin and Boomerang......I wonder if any of these count as 'prototype' issues?...

Edited by VK

IMO western comics have been under appreciated for a long time. Mid to high grade are really hard to find, heck older issues are tough to find in any condition.

I started a western thread in the general comic section a few years ago. You should search it out it is a really great thread and contains a lof of great covers and info.

Has anybody had any recent luck (say the last 3 years) at the conventions or on other sites when it comes to finding early silver age Marvel westerns.

Yes. About 2 years ago a boardie sold his small set of Marvel Westerns. It wasn't very many issues but did contain only mid and high grade copies (inc. RK 17) that were pretty quickly snatched up.

Great Thread Guys! Once again love all the knowledge and great scans given here. I always wondered what some of the keys were to these titles!

What is all of your professional opinions' on TOMAHAWK, by DC. Story wise and Art wise?

Eric