Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3194729 - 05/27/09 02:27 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: tradedollarnut]
gmarguli Offline

Slightly Evil

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Los Angeles
 Originally Posted By: tradedollarnut
I heard a rumor the bags actually came from Russia and the story was just that - a story. But that's just a rumor. I don't see why it would matter much.

A made-up story being attached to a hoard of coins? I just can't believe that would ever happen. ;\)

#3194890 - 05/27/09 03:52 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: physics-fan3.14]
MunkyMan95 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Electric Avenue
 Originally Posted By: physics-fan3.14
This is the first I've heard of this hoard, so I can't add anything. But does someone have pictures of the 69s? Holy cow, those must be amazing.

Heritage Link, you'll have to sign in to see the pictures
Wells Fargo - The Best One! Heritage as well.

#3194932 - 05/27/09 04:19 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: BillJones]
MarkFeld Offline
Dealer
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Texas
I was still a grader at NGC when those coins surfaced.

If I had merely heard about the number of coins receiving such (high) grades and not seen them, I would have been certain that the grading was way too liberal. However, seeing them in-hand, however, I thought that overall, the grading was quite good/accurate. What an amazing group of Saints!

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions I express here are my own.

#3194940 - 05/27/09 04:23 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: MunkyMan95]
PerryHall Offline
Chatzilla

I have heard that this hoard received very generous grades from PCGS and that because of this, the Wells Fargo pedigree carries a stigma resulting in some owners asking PCGS to reholder them without the pedigree noted on the label.

#3195145 - 05/27/09 05:38 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: PerryHall]
Conder101 Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: East central Indiana
The gold recall order is a rather odd document full of loopholes. The people were directed to turn in their gold but it still seems to have been a voluntary recall. The banks HAD to turn the gold they held in to the government and any gold turned into them over the counter. But I doubt they could confiscate privately held gold on their premises. Then there was the loophole that allowed collectors to hold "rare and unusual" gold coins and "rare and unusual" was defined as all US gold coins struck before I believe it was April 5th 1933. So if someone was a "collector" they could hold an unlimited number of gold coins of any and all dates and mints. (Except for quarter eagles where you were limited to no more than four specimens of any given date and mint combination.) So in theory these nearly 20 thousand double eagles could be legally held by a private "collector" and even if they were stored in a bank vault the bank or government couldn't touch them.

#3195508 - 05/27/09 08:15 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: BillJones]
WoodenJefferson Offline

I have nothing to add or subtract, I am merely here.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Mach II with my hair on fire!
In my mind, I’m trying to analyze how a gold coin made in the 1900’s, bagged and stored in a vault/vaults for 60 years can be graded out as MS-69, or even grade out at MS-68 (the key word here is “bagged“ and maybe even re-bagged…as in tumbling, scraping, rubbing, clinking, digging and chinking)

Seems to me the handling alone would render even the best of the best to no more than a 66.

#3195519 - 05/27/09 08:18 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: Conder101]
RWB Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Gold nationalization occurred over several steps and was not the simple executive order than many coin collectors assume. The original order referred to hoarding and was a follow-on to the failed voluntary order by President Hoover of February 1932.

(A lot of gold and other currency was turned in between Feb and June, then that amount and more was re-hoarded following failure of major banks in the Chicago area. Hoover didn’t try again, but he did approve secretly recording the name and address of everyone who withdrew gold coin in large amounts from banks, as well as unusual activity in renting or accessing safe deposit boxes.)

#3195709 - 05/27/09 09:12 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: RWB]
DaveG Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

jtryka has given the bulk of the story - there's only a little bit more in Bowers' Red Book of Double Eagles. Bowers quotes Ron Gillio's description - he doesn't mention where the gold was stored before he bought it or who owned it.

Conder101: according to Tripp's Illegal Tender, the Government was keeping records of large gold withdrawals before the gold confiscation order and put a lot of pressure on private individuals to return the gold they had withdrawn, so I'd think it would have been unlikely that the Wells Fargo hoard could have survived had it been located in the States.

#3196016 - 05/27/09 10:35 PM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: DaveG]
jtryka Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Crossroads of America
 Originally Posted By: DaveG
jtryka has given the bulk of the story - there's only a little bit more in Bowers' Red Book of Double Eagles. Bowers quotes Ron Gillio's description - he doesn't mention where the gold was stored before he bought it or who owned it.

Conder101: according to Tripp's Illegal Tender, the Government was keeping records of large gold withdrawals before the gold confiscation order and put a lot of pressure on private individuals to return the gold they had withdrawn, so I'd think it would have been unlikely that the Wells Fargo hoard could have survived had it been located in the States.

I believe this hoard never left the US, but was held at a bank for some international payment. It could be that the hoard was owned by a foreign government and stored here, which would have been quite legal. After all, the 19,900 double eagles was approximately 0.6 tonnes, and foreign governments have held hundreds of tonnes of gold in the basement of the Federal Reserve Bank of NY for the last 90 years. Keep in mind also that this would have been a large gold withdrawal made in 1917, well before the chaos of the early 1930s and all indications are that the coins were undisturbed from 1917 through the 1960s when they were rebagged.

"I think our coinage is artistically of atrocious hideousness." Theodore Roosevelt, December 27, 1904.

#3196612 - 05/28/09 09:09 AM Re: The Wells Fargo Hoard .. How did this happen? [Re: jtryka]
kryptonitecomics Offline
First Official Signature Set
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: O-Town Baby! Home of the Magic
The real story is that I used my Delorean to go back to 1908 and purchase the Double Eagles......

Then I reappeared in the 1960's so I could get them transferred into modern bags to help erase any suspicions others would have if they found my pristine bags of gold coins stored in hundred year old bags.

Finally my cousin Vinny helped me smuggle the coins back into the bank using a vintage Wells Fargo Stage Coach.

The coins weren't actually stored in a Wells fargo Bank....we just used the stage coach name as we thought it would sound better then the Banco Popular hoard
TM

Any questions? \(shrug\)

EBAY LINK
http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/sch/kryptonitecomics/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Architecht, dena, ngcmod, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSHO: Silver Eagles
by bsshog40
08:52 PM
WTB 1936-1942 Proof Washington Quarter with Significant Frost/Contrast
by coinman_23885
01:42 PM
FS - World Coins - 1898 and 1898A French 10 Centimes
by robec1347
01:04 PM
FSH: 1921-S Walker PCGS vf35 CAC, $2650 dlvd
by BAJJERFAN
10:51 AM
Comics Marketplace
Avengers #181 - 9.8 WHITE PAGES
by JJ Speederman
11:58 AM
New Ebay auction, Copper Bats, NYCC, Modern slabs and more!!!
by Dmac538
11:20 AM
The Addams Family by Jack Sharkey PBO FN-VFN 1965 RARE Pyramid 1229 1st Printing
by ericjmz
11:02 AM
Spellbound 12 & JiuW 28
by GermanFan
11:01 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.