• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Take this for what it's worth...and I'm not talking about the overgraders here...

But I'm starting to see a move towards much harsher expectations on raw grading than we're seeing in CGC slabs. I've bought a fair number of CGC slabs recently and am seeing defects that if they were shown here raw and listed in the same grade, people would think it was overgraded. Not saying it is...just think that the criteria for buying raw is becoming stricter than what CGC would grade it at.

I don't believe CGC is the grading authority by a long shot...but I do think the grading expectations on raw are becoming a tad too extreme.

Jim

Take this for what it's worth...and I'm not talking about the overgraders here...

But I'm starting to see a move towards much harsher expectations on raw grading than we're seeing in CGC slabs. I've bought a fair number of CGC slabs recently and am seeing defects that if they were shown here raw and listed in the same grade, people would think it was overgraded. Not saying it is...just think that the criteria for buying raw is becoming stricter than what CGC would grade it at.

I don't believe CGC is the grading authority by a long shot...but I do think the grading expectations on raw are becoming a tad too extreme.

Jim

:applause:

I've thought the same exact thing lately as I've seen CGC 9.4's that when I received raws in that condition, I would have never thought NM. Started making me question maybe grading too strict.

Jim

+1

Basically, people are expecting raw NM to look like a 9.8.

Jim

+1

(thumbs u

Jim

+1

+2

You said it.

Jim

+1

+2

You said it.

What about sellers that call everything "NM+" and then what you get is a Very Fine copy because they don't know how to grade?

I hear ya about the super-picky collectors that expect VF/NM listed books to be spotless NM+ beauties. But these sellers cause the bulk of the pain in distributing garbage as top-notch material. Then prospective buyers have to question everything.

Jim

+1

+2

You said it.

What about sellers that call everything "NM+" and then what you get is a Very Fine copy because they don't know how to grade?

I hear ya about the super-picky collectors that expect VF/NM listed books to be spotless NM+ beauties, but these sellers cause the bulk of the pain in distributing garbage as top-notch material. Then prospective buyers have to question everything.

Did you read Jim's first sentence? We weren't talking about overgraders, but rather buyers who's expectations are too high.

Did you read Jim's first sentence? We weren't talking about overgraders, but rather buyers who's expectations are too high.

I did Josh.

But what CGC has done is provided a standard you can compare to when you have a few books in the same condition since they will not publish what their guidelines are.

Otherwise, in the past you would get the response "I thought it was a NM from my experience."

Not saying that is a perfect approach, but it gives you something to point to that even Overstreet and others couldn't. I don't think the standard has gotten tougher - there's just something now to sit books next to side-by-side.

You're still going to have those prig buyers that demand every book be mint-perfect or they send it back to you. That is not a great experience for anyone, and unfair.

That's what I don't understand. If someone posts a book as 'NM'...and it's clearly NNM (Not NM)...why is it bad form to comment? It's bad form to overgrade your books.

I have absolutely no problem with someone commenting on my grading. (shrug)

But I think where the discussion took this was a good one - if you see some drastic overgrading going on, it should be okay to send a PM and discuss it offline.

It would be like folks that seriously overprice their books here, then take them to eBay and get much less. Getting into it with them in the sales thread wouldn't be a good thing, but a PM eases the tension that could occur.

I agree with you Bosco. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone in their own thread. I think a PM is the best way to go. I personally would have zero problem with someone sending a pm to question a grade on a book. People miss defects from time to time. What is a seriously over priced book. Guide? 3/4 Guide? 1/2 Guide? From time to time I think we've all seen some raw books for sale that that are priced retardedly(is that a word?) high. :pullhair: I'm in a mood right now. rantrant

I did Josh.

But what CGC has done is provided a standard you can compare to when you have a few books in the same condition since they will not publish what their guidelines are.

Otherwise, in the past you would get the response "I thought it was a NM from my experience."

Not saying that is a perfect approach, but it gives you something to point to that even Overstreet and others couldn't. I don't think the standard has gotten tougher - there's just something now to sit books next to side-by-side.

You're still going to have those prig buyers that demand every book be mint-perfect or they send it back to you. That is not a great experience for anyone, and unfair.

(thumbs u

This was the only point I was referring to. We're on the same page.

I agree with you Bosco. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone in their own thread. I think a PM is the best way to go. I personally would have zero problem with someone sending a pm to question a grade on a book. People miss defects from time to time. What is a seriously over priced book. Guide? 3/4 Guide? 1/2 Guide? From time to time I think we've all seen some raw books for sale that that are priced retardedly(is that a word?) high. :pullhair: I'm in a mood right now. rantrant

Bringing a graded book on here for $250 that sells for $145, then takes it to eBay and gets - ready for this? - $122. Taaa daaaahhhh!

I'm in a mood too, but I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection. At least that goes away.

I did Josh.

(thumbs u

This was the only point I was referring to. We're on the same page.

Ohhhh.

+ 20

Bringing a graded book on here for $250 that sells for $145, then takes it to eBay and gets - ready for this? - $122. Taaa daaaahhhh!

I'm in a mood too, but I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection. At least that goes away.

I seem to remember this conversation.

enlighten us.

enlighten us.

Noo. Come on now.

The discussion was "Is in appropriate to make comments in someone's sales thread, or to PM them."

Didn't want this turning into a list of folks that try to sell for higher on here and then when they do go to eBay they get hit with reality. That's a group PM discussion, IMHO.

enlighten us.

Noo. Come on now.

The discussion was "Is in appropriate to make comments in someone's sales thread, or to PM them."

Didn't want this turning into a list of folks that try to sell for higher on here and then when they do go to eBay they get hit with reality. That's a group PM discussion, IMHO.

Oh. wasn't sure what he was refereeing to is all. I was late to the party. :(

Edited by Mr.Diggler

enlighten us.

Noo. Come on now.

What time will the group PM outing be????:popcorn:

I posted an ASM slab on here for what I thought was a good price and now it is sitting on Ebay and looks like I am way off, the best offers I have recieved are at least $100.00 under GPA 12 month avg. I know GPA is just a tool to use to help set a price but I figured the offers would be more in line with the avgs.

Actually if the offers continue the way they are going it will likely come back here for an even lower price then what it was before since I would rather give someone a good deal as opposed to giving up $50.00 in selling fees.

enlighten us.

Noo. Come on now.

Count me in :banana: