• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Here is a good topic for this Thread:

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

This is a dilemma that I am sure that comes up regularly.

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

Any further discussion and past stories of experience would be most helpful.

CAL who struggles at times w/ uncomforatble topics

I still don't understand why it's bad form to comment on someone's grading....but apparently it is.

Personally...I just skip those sellers threads.

I wouldn't bring up someones grading in one of their sales threads, but if I'd bought a book I felt was overgraded I don't see a problem in sending the seller a PM.

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

I still don't understand why it's bad form to comment on someone's grading....but apparently it is.

I wouldn't bring up someones grading in one of their sales threads, but if I'd bought a book I felt was overgraded I don't see a problem in sending the seller a PM.

That's what I don't understand. If someone posts a book as 'NM'...and it's clearly NNM (Not NM)...why is it bad form to comment? It's bad form to overgrade your books.

I have absolutely no problem with someone commenting on my grading. (shrug)

That's what I don't understand. If someone posts a book as 'NM'...and it's clearly NNM (Not NM)...why is it bad form to comment? It's bad form to overgrade your books.

I have absolutely no problem with someone commenting on my grading. (shrug)

But I think where the discussion took this was a good one - if you see some drastic overgrading going on, it should be okay to send a PM and discuss it offline.

It would be like folks that seriously overprice their books here, then take them to eBay and get much less. Getting into it with them in the sales thread wouldn't be a good thing, but a PM eases the tension that could occur.

If you don't let a person know they missed something while grading they can't get better. I ask most buyers to tell me what they think of the grade and it has been very helpful.

If you don't let a person know they missed something while grading they can't get better.

Exactly. Maybe I missed a defect when I graded the book. I would prefer if someone said something in my sales thread.....rather than just leave the thread thinking I can't grade.

If you don't let a person know they missed something while grading they can't get better.

Exactly. Maybe I missed a defect when I graded the book. I would prefer if someone said something in my sales thread.....rather than just leave the thread thinking I can't grade.

And you learn some good lessons as well if we help each other. I bought a Spectacular Spider-Man that from the front and back cover, it was a 9.2/9.4 copy.

When I received the book and opened to the inside, I discovered someone had mistakenly torn the splash page and a chunk was missing. The seller agreed it was a mistake as he never took it out of the bag to examine it, but was going to change that practice going forward. No bad feelings, no nasty experience between us.

Oh it's not a bad thing letting somebody know you disagree with a grade. I personally wouldn't mind if someone pointed out a book I'd overgraded. In fact I'd appreciate it. But it's OK for us all to speak for ourselves.

Some people may not like it brought up in public, that's why I'd opt for a PM first.

Oh it's not a bad thing letting somebody know you disagree with a grade. I personally wouldn't mind if someone pointed out a book I'd overgraded.

Gav, I think you overgraded this "NM" Superman comic you sold me.

3312425314_e7fc47f1f1_o.jpg

Oh it's not a bad thing letting somebody know you disagree with a grade. I personally wouldn't mind if someone pointed out a book I'd overgraded.

Gav, I think you overgraded this "NM" Superman comic you sold me.

3312425314_e7fc47f1f1_o.jpg

That's a *spooning* 9.8 if ever I've seen one :sumo:

The boards are RIFE with people whose grading skills need improvement. If we decide that it’s okay to make grading comments in a FS thread, it’s not unlikely we’d soon have a peanut gallery of dunces offering ill-informed opinions. And then the secondary problem is: How will the forumite who doesn’t know how to grade differentiate between commentary from the Niks, Toros and GACollectibles of the boards vs. commentary from the dunderheads?

The boards are RIFE with people whose grading skills need improvement. If we decide that it’s okay to make grading comments in a FS thread, it’s not unlikely we’d soon have a peanut gallery of dunces offering ill-informed opinions. And then the secondary problem is: How will the forumite who doesn’t know how to grade differentiate between commentary from the Niks, Toros and GACollectibles of the boards vs. commentary from the dunderheads?

(thumbs u

[How will the forumite who doesn’t know how to grade differentiate between commentary from the Niks, Toros and GACollectibles of the boards vs. commentary from the dunderheads?

Very tricky to distinguish between them.

[How will the forumite who doesn’t know how to grade differentiate between commentary from the Niks, Toros and GACollectibles of the boards vs. commentary from the dunderheads?

Very tricky to distinguish between them.

"Dunderhead" That is great if I was ever going to change my screen name I think that would be the one. (thumbs u

The hard part about improving grading skills, for me, is the distance it's not like we can look at the book together and go over the flaws and discuss the degrees of damage that change a books grade. It takes patients and a little bit of tolerance to put up with and then educate people new to the art (like myself).

If you feel a book is over graded, or undergraded for that matter, and your basing it just on the scan it's worth the PM just to ask why it was given that grade. After the seller explains how they came up with the grade you can share your concerns and maybe just maybe help a fellow collector out.

I don't agree with doing it in a persons sales thread however since it can turn the sales thread into a public debate thread, which is fun but not very productive for example the conan sales thread in mixed age right now.

Sorry for the longish post.

Danny

Dont buy from them and move on. Most people cant grade worth spoon.

I think choosing not to frequent the threads of those who cannot grade is the most effective method--as the saying goes, silence can be deafening. However, if someone wants to take it upon themselves to offer some friendly advice, the only way I see it being non-offensive is to take it to PMs. Pontoon's correct in that some (newer) members might not know that comments from guys like Nik, Nick, Brian, etc, are coming from a place expertise where as others are just threadpoopers.

I don't like the idea of commenting on people's grading (for myself) though if someone has an issue or thinks I missed something, i certainly have no problem with the comment being public in my thread. I don't like people advertising their own stuff for sale in my thread (this happened once) but comments, banter, critiques, are all part of what would happen if I had a booth set up and people were coming by.

I see plenty of threads where I disagree with the grades, but it doesn't always mean the person can't grade. I see this from everyone on the boards to long standing members to complete newbies. On the whole though, most of the sellers I buy from here have really solid grading. What's always amazing to me is that some of the best graders don't get nearly enough traffic through their threads given the quality they offer.

Of course, be careful what you wish for if you want public critiques of your grading -- the spotlight might be turned on you.

banter, critiques, are all part of what would happen if I had a booth set up and people were coming by.

(thumbs u

Of course, be careful what you wish for if you want public critiques of your grading -- the spotlight might be turned on you.

If one's grading is up to snuff.......there's no reason to fear the spotlight.

I don't like the idea of commenting on people's grading (for myself) though if someone has an issue or thinks I missed something, i certainly have no problem with the comment being public in my thread. I don't like people advertising their own stuff for sale in my thread (this happened once) but comments, banter, critiques, are all part of what would happen if I had a booth set up and people were coming by.

I see plenty of threads where I disagree with the grades, but it doesn't always mean the person can't grade. I see this from everyone on the boards to long standing members to complete newbies. On the whole though, most of the sellers I buy from here have really solid grading. What's always amazing to me is that some of the best graders don't get nearly enough traffic through their threads given the quality they offer.

Im hoping my peddling of junk is why you do not frequent my threads and not my grading.