• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad news about Illustration House

71 posts in this topic

The should never have spent money that didn't belong to them. That is stealing.

I bought an item from them in the past but I won't be looking at their website in the future. If they are going out of business, they shouldn't drag down others with them.

Yeah their consignees appear to be basically uncompensated, unsecured creditors. Yikes. This is basically what Schmell unfortunately got disbarred for if I recall :(

Well, yeah, it is true. Why else would channel 7 put it on the air?

As much as I like Roger and Walt, this will probably be the beginning of the end for them, though I hope not.

However, the attitude that the schmucks who spoke with the woman was deplorable.

"We are having financial problems" is not an excuse, especially when it isn't your money that you have already spent.

But this is just one story.

Mitch I.

"We are having financial problems" is not an excuse, especially when it isn't your money that you have already spent.

Mitch I.

Couldn't agree more, but they are probably just employees having to try and explain decisions made by their bosses (and in front of a TV camera, no less). Not an enviable position to be in.

Bronty, no not a good position to be in, but they still had a lousy and self righteous attitude

Mitch I.

maybe you're right - certainly their answer as a whole was totally unsatisfactory, although my take on it was a little different; I thought they were embarassed to have to say that all they had in their bank account was $750 (even though their reasons were extremely 'lame' excuses; as a consignee I would be incensed).

We can certainly agree that the actions of the company as a whole appear to be deplorable. As Steven said I'd pull my items out of there so fast their head would spin. And it doesn't appear to be the first time they've used consignee cash as their piggy bank, judging by the reference in the story to a similar problem a couple years ago. I wonder how many innocent consignees won't hear the word in time to protect themselves :(

In all of my limited dealings with them they had a lousy and self righteous attitude in my opinion; which is why my dealings with them were so limited. Good riddance I say. But, I really hope everyone gets their pieces or their money back....

Ouch, that's embarrassing...to have the media come to your door...I wonder if that poor lady would have gotten any money if not for the press getting on it...I wonder if other people are owed...

Hate to be negative, but they deserve it...

Off the topic of Illustration House not paying consignors but employees who don't

leave a good taste (I almost called them to file a complaint, I may still):

There was a +spoon+ from Illustration House on CAF a couple of weeks ago searching wantlists...I got an email from him sounding pretty desperate, but unfortunately lying to try to sell stuff...(not exact quotes)...

'I'm saving for another auction and need to sell this piece for $12k, this is my best price and I am only offering it to you. I need it fast b/c the auction is coming soon'.

I guess collectors are dumb and don't talk to eachother in his mind...I found that he emailed a CAF friend with a similar but different story, but the price was now $8k...

Anyone else get one of those emails?

I can tell you who to steer clear from in PM. On CAF you can see the same artwork in both Illustration House gallery as well as his personal gallery.

Did anyone believe there might be professionalism at a gallery in NYC with expensive art...where employees wear a t-shirt and hat?

Anyway...I usually find the best artwork privately...or honorable dealer/collectors...auction houses like this and H leave me wanting to shower...but not with any of you...