• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,789 posts in this topic

I like the Santa issue the best as well.

Impeccable taste!

This must be your night for sucking up. :baiting:

Jack

That's just plain mean Jack.

:sorry:

I thought (sob) (chortle) that we were (sniff) friends....

Impeccable taste!

Jack

Nah, you start whole threads to praise your REAL buddies.

But I'm glad you like my Santa Claus comic book anyway.

Jack

I looked through the list of posted books and it looks like I have a few to add.

FC451.jpg

Welcome to the thread :applause: That's a nice copy of a classic example of that wholesomeness of the FC series. Plus, the art of the Rusty Riley entries is generally a cut above average. (thumbs u

I don't like paying more than $5 for one

Neither do I but I think at some point, I'll have to :cry:

Impeccable taste!

Jack

Nah, you start whole threads to praise your REAL buddies.

But I'm glad you like my Santa Claus comic book anyway.

Jack

Only when they complain that I don't.....

lol

I don't like paying more than $5 for one

Neither do I but I think at some point, I'll have to :cry:

Even at $5 a piece it would take over $6,500 to complete the run :cry:

It's still better to have 1,250 comics for that much rather than being still $33,500 short of a Marvel Comics # 1 lol

This one's been posted, but not my copy!

I'll try to concentrate on covers that haven't been posted yet, but this is the earliest in the batch I just got, second oldest that I own, and I'm pumped about it. (Yes, it's already on the funny animal thread.)

Four Color 21, Oswald the Rabbit.

First solo cover, as far as I know. Certainly his first Four Color.

FC21Oswald.jpg

Look at those curly ears!

GCD credits Dan Gormley ? (Pencils) Dan Gormley ? (Inks) ?, not a name I'm very familiar with.

Jack

I don't think this one has been shown.

Three more not on the list

Four Color 361 Nov-51 Santa Claus Funnies

GCD credits Irving Tripp (?) for the cover. I'd say little doubt about it -- certainly one of the Little Lulu artists.

FC361Santa.jpg

Four Color 507 Oct-53 Oswald the Rabbit

FC507Oswald.jpg

Four Color 593 Oct-54 Oswald the Rabbit

FC593Oswald.jpg

I had a heck of a time trying to get the yellows on the Oswald scans to look like the books themselves.

Jack

Five more that have already been posted long ago, but I'm just happy to have copies in any condition.

Four Color 39 1944 Oswald the Rabbit

A beater with a great cover! Are those dancing candies and cookies proto-shiverbones or what?

FC39Oswald.jpg

Four Color 67 1945 Oswald the Rabbit

I think Paratrooper posted this one as one of the weirdest parachute covers out there. I like it, and it's a respectable copy.

FC67Oswald.jpg

Four Color 72 1945 Raggedy Ann and Andy

4th Raggedy Ann issue. Who drew it? Aren't those great bugs? A lot of Kelly in them. Could it be his pencils or split duties?

FC72RaggedyAnn.jpg

The back cover is fun too.

FC72RaggedyAnnback.jpg

Four Color 87 Jan-45 Fairy Tale Parade

Cover is credited to Dan Noonan (?) -- seems right to me.

The Walt Kelly story 'Tiny Folk and the Dragon' is a knockout!

FC87FairyTale.jpg

Sensitive viewers may wish to avert their eyes for the last one.

Four Color 103 Apr-46 Easter with Mother Goose

Utterly classic Kelly bunny cover! Too bad it's such a beater, but you get what you pay for.

FC103Easter.jpg

Jack

Four Color 67 1945 Oswald the Rabbit

I think Paratrooper posted this one as one of the weirdest parachute covers out there. I like it, and it's a respectable copy.

FC67Oswald.jpg

Jack

I really like this one Jack. Such a fun cover.

BTW, in reference to your earlier post, I have trouble with yellow cover scans as well. Since I collect lots of yellow covers, I struggle with it quite often.

I really like this one Jack. Such a fun cover.

BTW, in reference to your earlier post, I have trouble with yellow cover scans as well. Since I collect lots of yellow covers, I struggle with it quite often.

Thanks.

With my scanner and primitive software, yellows are hell to match. Any tiny nick or stain tends to show up as a reddish blob, any foxing looks like the book belongs in the dumpster. Usually I can lower the saturation and twiddle the green channel a little, but that wasn't quite doing the job tonight. Solid reds often get a mottled appearance -- I keep meaning to ask Scrooge why his reds look so solid. Blues and greens are relatively easy!

Jack

The poor, neglected Four Color thread.

Another batch came in from the seller everyone (except me) loves to hate -- Mile High Comics.

Here's #73, a 64-year-old Gerber 6 in presentable, solid, good condition for about $10 shipped.

FC73Gumps.jpg

No time to scan any others tonight.

Jack

Another batch came in from the seller everyone (except me) loves to hate -- Mile High Comics.

Here's #73, a 64-year-old Gerber 6 in presentable, solid, good condition for about $10 shipped.

FC73Gumps.jpg

Jack

Many years ago, probably when I was in Grammar School I took out a succession of books from our county library that reprinted classic comic strips. There seemed to have been a bit of a publishing flurry of these books in the early seventies. Anyway, I got to read some great stuff, Popeye, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon Little Orphan Annie,, the Toonerville Trolley and this odd little collection called the Gumps.

For those of you who are not aware of this strip, it was quite a phenomenon in its day and in fact was the first comic strip to ever kill off a major character. The strip was pretty amazing in its depiction of the ordinary, probably the reason it was so popular with so many.

Most of those old books are hard to come by these days, but if you ever get a chance to read a collection of the Gumps, give it a go!

FC73Gumps.jpg

Jack

Many years ago, probably when I was in Grammar School I took out a succession of books from our county library that reprinted classic comic strips. There seemed to have been a bit of a publishing flurry of these books in the early seventies. Anyway, I got to read some great stuff, Popeye, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon Little Orphan Annie,, the Toonerville Trolley and this odd little collection called the Gumps.

For those of you who are not aware of this strip, it was quite a phenomenon in its day and in fact was the first comic strip to ever kill off a major character. The strip was pretty amazing in its depiction of the ordinary, probably the reason it was so popular with so many.

Most of those old books are hard to come by these days, but if you ever get a chance to read a collection of the Gumps, give it a go!

Father Gump seemed to live an ordinary life ...

3408876511_cdac07674d_b.jpg

but Chester was out there fighting mad scientists

3409684262_96195eb85f_b.jpg

and dinosaurs.

3408876249_d7e2657853_b.jpg

Scans from Popular 22 and Gump 2. Cover signed by Gus Edson.

Edited by BB-Gun

This one has surely been posted but here it is again.

Four Color 226 -- the cannibal cover!

What the heck is Porky Pig doing with a ham around his house?

FC226Porky.jpg

I like the ghost covers.

Jack