Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2977002 - 02/28/09 07:49 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Rumintations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
DR.X Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Master of the Mystery Box
 Originally Posted By: awe4one

I saw no one at Ferrigno's table the whole day...
Jim

I have seen Ferringo at many of the Chicago Cons, and other events. He always has that, " I'm pizzed off and bored" look on his face. I never see anyone at his booth either. All of the other big stars, wrestlers, divas etc are very personable and fun to take pictures with. Hes just too big to give an attitude adjustment to though.

DRX

Survived a full blown attack by a 30ft Great White.

#2977030 - 02/28/09 08:00 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: CAP Freak]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Anytime/Anywhere
Arrived at the con around 10:30 and there was already more people in the place than at anytime on Friday. Before long the place was packed and walking the aisles was an issue...

Two things would alleviate the slow movement but I doubt they could be implemented: (1) People should show some courtesy and take pictures of costumes on the edges of the room. I can't tell you how many times movement was halted due to someone stopping and having to take a pic of someone in costume. (2) Don't bring your luggage on wheels with you to a con. If you can't carry it in your arms or in a backpack then maybe you're bringing too much. People wheeling their luggage behind them caused movement to slow to a crawl at times...

My day started out again at the Qualitycomix booth. Brent and Jive were manning the booth with someone else who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Regardless, I started looking through some boxes I missed yesterday. Turns out the comics were the guy who I can't for the life of me remember their name. Ended up buying a Flash #177, Ghostly Tales #169 (another final issue), and a sweet Where Monsters Dwell #22. Turns out the guy collects Charlton horror as well and I pointed him to a couple dealers who had copies...Crazy Ed had pretty nice issues he was selling 3 for $5 for example...

Quality's booth...

Walked over and had a nice chat with Barbara Kesel for awhile and let her know how much I miss reading Meridian and CG comics in general. She suggested I contact Disney to see if they'll revive the series...we both aren't holding our breathes...

I stopped by Krypton Comics and looked through their boxes. They had a decent selection of GA/SA comics and the prices were pretty reasonable. I ended up buying a Midnight Mystery #7, Western Fighters Vol 2 #8, and My Greatest Adventure #67...

I then started fighting the crowds and make my way back to the media guests area to take a pic of Luciana Carro...

Pic coming up...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

"I think I can list 10 people that could leave the boards to make them a peaceful place and you are on that list." - GCCBCO

#2977099 - 02/28/09 08:23 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Luciana Carro - Kat on Battlestar Galactica

After looking at the pic, it really doesn't do her justice. I wish she hadn't dolled it up as much. She's stunning when she's just acting normal. Regardless, she looks nothing like her character on BSG...

Lots of people in the media area as Tricia Hefler and James Callis finally arrived to sign autographs. Both seemed pleased to be there...good actors...

Also caught a snap of Dirk Benedict. Dosn't look the same without blonde hair...

Ferrigno was still sitting there with no one at his table and looking mostly annoyed...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

"I think I can list 10 people that could leave the boards to make them a peaceful place and you are on that list." - GCCBCO

#2977142 - 02/28/09 08:41 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

After leaving the media area, I stopped by the Graham Crackers booth. Not much caught my eye despite having four Hulk #181s on their wall. Ended up buying a HG Spidey Superstories #56 from them.

By the way, the most prominent wall books I saw at the show was JIMs from #90-120. Everyone seemed to have them...I guess the old standbys X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1 are falling out of favor...

Stopped by the Basement Comics booth and met Al Stolz. Very nice guy and we chatted for awhile about comics and this Forum. He gave some huge kudos to Donut and Bob Simian by the way. He also mentioned he was done with San Diego. The cost vs. return wasn't worth it anymore. Al also had the best deal of the con...$10 Silver/Bronze/12 for $100. Scooped up some very nice higher grade issues that really had no business being in the box. Some being sold at multiples of cost by other dealers. Bought too many issues to mention. Best transaction of the con in my opinion...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

#2977262 - 02/28/09 09:18 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Made my way back to Dale Roberts booth to relook at a My Love #1 I passed on yesterday but wanted a second look to see if it was an upgrade to my copy. It wasn't. Talked with Scott for awhile who mentioned he may have to start looking at collecting Marvel romance due to liking the cover of the My Love #2 I bought yesterday. Another romance collector sucked in... Scott's a very cool guy by the way and a pleasure to talk to...

Dale's booth...

Walked around the corner and went through Bedrock's stock again. Talked with Rich and Rick Whitlock for awhile before deciding to buy a Battle Front #36. Really cool cover in my opinion...

Bedrock's booth...

And that was essentially it, I was bushed. Overall, I had quite the stack for the day...

Some observations:

It was great meeting all the board members and I had a GREAT time.

Costumed attendees. There were alot of them that's for sure. But I think some people take it to another level that just bugs the hell out of me. For example, an area was set up for people to fight each other with padded swords. One guy was dressed up as a Final Fantasy character and was really REALLY into the role. And it didn't stop after he was done. He was playing it for the duration. Also, some celtic band was playing an impromtu set out in the lobby. They were pretty good. All of a sudden some dude dressed up in pirate gear starts trying, and failing miserably, to do some sort of ancient pirate dance. Really embarrassing for him but I don't think he was in on the joke he was becoming. When people start acting this way...I don't know...I find it sort of creepy...

Dude, if you're going to be in a hall with the mass of people we had today...take a bath. There were numerous times, more than I can count, where people's personal stank was overwhelming. These guys are the reason people think comic fans are unwashed stinky loners. Do us all a favor and use soap next time and stop perpetuating the myth...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

#2977303 - 02/28/09 09:29 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
kc120us Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Nanuet,NY
Thanks for the report and pics, Jim! \(thumbs u

#2977398 - 02/28/09 09:51 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: awe4one]
Drakeprimeone Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Originally Posted By: awe4one
Luciana Carro - Kat on Battlestar Galactica

After looking at the pic, it really doesn't do her justice. I wish she hadn't dolled it up as much. She's stunning when she's just acting normal. Regardless, she looks nothing like her character on BSG...

Lots of people in the media area as Tricia Hefler and James Callis finally arrived to sign autographs. Both seemed pleased to be there...good actors...

Also caught a snap of Dirk Benedict. Dosn't look the same without blonde hair...

Ferrigno was still sitting there with no one at his table and looking mostly annoyed...

Jim

Nice pics, I was curious if in general Actors/Actresses are put off when asked to pose for a pic (as in they'd rather you purchase an autographed glossy) or they are willing to for a donation/fee.

Only been to one Con and was unsure of the protocol

Edited by Drakeprimeone (02/28/09 09:52 PM)

#2977407 - 02/28/09 09:54 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: Drakeprimeone]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Drakeprimeone
Nice pics, I was curious if in general Actors/Actresses are put off when asked to pose for a pic (as in they'd rather you purchase an autographed glossy) or they are willing to for a donation/fee.

Only been to one Con and was unsure of the protocol

Gotta pay...at least for the guests Megacon had. Cost me $10 for Carro's pic...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

#2977418 - 02/28/09 09:56 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: Drakeprimeone]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

#2977442 - 02/28/09 10:02 PM Re: awe4one's Megacon Ramblings, Ruminations, and Observations [Re: Foolkiller]
awe4one Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Foolkiller
Terrific report... Also, Al Stoltz is one of the best guys in comics -- wish more people knew and patronized this guy... truly one of the honest straight shooters out there.

He had some nice things to say about you as well...sorry I overlooked that in the report...

Jim

www.awe4one.com

Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3-migration, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Bree, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing Aspen Titles