• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

Some fun new ducks flew in today compliments of Kramerica

:)

donaldduck27jpg.jpg

I was showing my daughter my duck collection last weekend and I have a nice copy of the 27 too. The color gradation on the book really caught my eye and I wondered how they did that. That is common today with computers but back in the fifties when this came out that would have been a labor intensive effort. I guess that is why Dell comics are Good comics!

They had gradient dot screen they could use for a blend like that. The yellow would be flat color, and they would use a transparent gradient dot screen for the Magenta plate. At least that is how it was done when I worked at a paper in the pre-computer days

Makes sense. (thumbs u

Some of the ECs from around this time ('53-'55 or so) achieved some amazing and subtle effects with dot screens and texture screens. Check out some of Wood's & Williamson's later EC art (among others).

The market for high grade Duck books is getting downright bizarre. Comiclink just listed a WDCS 43 9.4 that sold for roughly 13x guide in 2007. The owner must sure have loved that book when he bought it.

The market for high grade Duck books is getting downright bizarre. Comiclink just listed a WDCS 43 9.4 that sold for roughly 13x guide in 2007. The owner must sure have loved that book when he bought it.

:o

maybe he ended up with an upgrade or a duplicate? (shrug) how does the current listing price compare to the 2007 price?

maybe he ended up with an upgrade or a duplicate? (shrug) how does the current listing price compare to the 2007 price?

I hope so. There are many other books listed that sold for record prices in 2006 and 2007, though. Hopefully this is not a fan who got discouraged after seeing Geppi's wholesale.