Page 40 of 47 « First<3839404142>Last »
Topic Options
#2927355 - 02/08/09 11:46 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: lou_fine]
sterlingcomics Offline

Mine was The Registry Buginator but I prefer(snip)

My custom title still sucks

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: House of Mystery
Heads up and reminder:

There appears to be some CGC books on the next Pedigree Grand Comic Auction that have not been reviewed yet...

Reminder: My no frills utility is available at: http://ftp.datazap.net/ftp/sterlingcomics/cgccheck.htm

#2927362 - 02/08/09 11:53 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: lou_fine]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: lou_fine
It is not realistic to expect CGC to catch all things all of the time when it comes to restoration detection. The back of their CGC label clearly states this as they will only only make a good faith effort to detect restoration. They will not warrant this process or the results of this check.

I agree...I don't think anyone has expected CGC to be infallible...but if they know a situation such as this they should, for the safety of the consumer, communicate it better than a sticky thread at the top of a forum.

I remember a bunch of folks willing to chip in and help CGC do this...CGC could also do small things such as sending a reminder to those in the registry set, send out a letter to all CS members, etc.

Listen, I'm no *spoon*. I understand the costs involved. Heck, there could be a fund set up to help CGC ofset some of this. The bottom line (for CGC) is the bottom line...I'd prefer a bit more information to help the consumer here.

As a result of this current FUZZY LOGIC I am on PERMANENT notice on buying ANY CGC book. It's not the way I prefer to enjoy my hobby. I guess that's the grim reality of the situation.

#2927718 - 02/08/09 02:49 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: sterlingcomics]
Mr. Zipper Offline

If every thread and post that was self-referential to Board protocol, politics, history and/or monkey-business disappeared, how many would be left?
-- from the book "Solipsistic Proof that the Boards are All"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Upstate NY
 Originally Posted By: sterlingcomics
I understand the costs involved. Heck, there could be a fund set up to help CGC ofset some of this. The bottom line (for CGC) is the bottom line...I'd prefer a bit more information to help the consumer here.

You'd think they would have an errors & omissions policy to cover situations like this.

Steve Zarelli Space Authentication

My blog: The Collecting Obsession

Want List:
* Action Comics -- 31, 44, 48, 58, 59, 63, 66, 90 (4.0 - 7.0 range)

#2931693 - 02/10/09 04:27 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: sterlingcomics]
sterlingcomics Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: sterlingcomics
Heads up and reminder:

There appears to be some CGC books on the next Pedigree Grand Comic Auction that have not been reviewed yet...

Reminder: My no frills utility is available at: http://ftp.datazap.net/ftp/sterlingcomics/cgccheck.htm

I referred to the wrong site.

#2937759 - 02/13/09 10:32 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Transplant]
Transplant Offline

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society
 Originally Posted By: Transplant
Great points raised by some folks here. But they are not the point of this thread.

CGC has notified the community that they suspect someone who submitted books to them did so after trimming the books. They've acknowledged that some of the books trimmed and submitted received blue labels.

The point of this thread was to point out in the insufficiency and of CGC's response so far. Questions remain as to:
1) Why does CGC refuse to release a list of books that it believes are suspect (by virtue of being submitted by this person)?
2) Why does CGC not "proactively" contact registry set owners of the suspected books?
3) Why did CGC limits its offer of reviewing books to the time period noted?
4) Do they have any reason to believe that this person did not a) submit books through other people or b) that books sold by this person are not also suspect of having been trimmed?

This is not a thread to discuss whether CGC can detect all resto work or whether there is a better alternative or whether more education is needed for collectors. Discussing it here is OT and contributes to the idea that CGC can just ignore the reasonable questions posed to them.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#2937787 - 02/13/09 10:46 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Transplant]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I had dinner with Mark Haspel on Wednesday night, I discussed these issues:

1) Why does CGC refuse to release a list of books that it believes are suspect (by virtue of being submitted by this person)?

legal liability. They are contractually bound not to release this information from the submitter and legal action can be instituted. Even though banned, there is no conviction or any legal determination or even actual concrete evidence that Ewert trimmed the books himself. Therefore, they are still bound to protect the confidentiality.

2) Why does CGC not "proactively" contact registry set owners of the suspected books?

See answer above. Their job is to review any books to check for safety. Using information they hold is a potential violation of privacy.

This is the time period that CGC has always identified as the period when they believed Ewert began submitting books that may have been trimmed.

4) Do they have any reason to believe that this person did not a) submit books through other people or b) that books sold by this person are not also suspect of having been trimmed?

a) They have no evidence to demonstrate that Ewert books were submitted (during that time period) by any one else. Absolutely zero. To their knowledge, nobody is currently submitting books for Ewert either.

b) There is no evidence, even tangential, to demonstrate that someone else is selling Ewert books. CGC would have to be going proactively after all frauds and that is not the service they provide.

#2937814 - 02/13/09 10:59 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Foolkiller]
kc120us Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Nanuet,NY
 Originally Posted By: Foolkiller

legal liability. They are contractually bound not to release this information from the submitter and legal action can be instituted. Even though banned, there is no conviction or any legal determination or even actual concrete evidence that Ewert trimmed the books himself. Therefore, they are still bound to protect the confidentiality.

See answer above. Their job is to review any books to check for safety. Using information they hold is a potential violation of privacy.

This is the time period that CGC has always identified as the period when they believed Ewert began submitting books that may have been trimmed.

a) They have no evidence to demonstrate that Ewert books were submitted (during that time period) by any one else. Absolutely zero. To their knowledge, nobody is currently submitting books for Ewert either.

b) There is no evidence, even tangential, to demonstrate that someone else is selling Ewert books. CGC would have to be going proactively after all frauds and that is not the service they provide.

Thanks for finding this out, Brian.

#2937827 - 02/13/09 11:04 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Foolkiller]
Transplant Offline

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society

Brian: Thank you for relaying some information. I hope you'll understand that I don't consider an official response from CGC on the matter but at least something is out there.

However, the responses on 1 & 2 just don't make any sense. I deal in contracts and federal law/regs on private health information all day long. To my knowledge, there is nothing that would cover the information at issue here: linking a CGC # with the identity of the submitter. I always defer to not being aware of some state or other statute/reg. But I have not seen anything in the submission form that would create an obligation on CGC's part to hold this information as protected. Therefore, at the risk of being blunt, it's either BS, paranoid or I'm an *spoon* b/c I've forgotten something.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#2937842 - 02/13/09 11:14 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Transplant]
DrWatson Offline

"What are you armed with?"
"Guess."
"Guess?"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Twatosaurus rex
Oh hell. Are you back already?

"When in a room full of people and no one has your back; it's time to move your back." ~ Anonymous

I think that life's too short for this. I want back my ignorance and bliss. I think I've had enough of this. Blow me... one last kiss.

July 25, 2009.

#2937846 - 02/13/09 11:16 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Transplant]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
 Originally Posted By: Transplant

Brian: Thank you for relaying some information. I hope you'll understand that I don't consider an official response from CGC on the matter but at least something is out there.

However, the responses on 1 & 2 just don't make any sense. I deal in contracts and federal law/regs on private health information all day long. To my knowledge, there is nothing that would cover the information at issue here: linking a CGC # with the identity of the submitter. I always defer to not being aware of some state or other statute/reg. But I have not seen anything in the submission form that would create an obligation on CGC's part to hold this information as protected. Therefore, at the risk of being blunt, it's either BS, paranoid or I'm an *spoon* b/c I've forgotten something.

The issue is whether it's written into the CGC contract when you submit or they have an internal policy that prevents it. In this case, it could be an internal policy. They retain a fairly large firm who does a lot of work for them on the coin side etc., and I believe they've reinforced the notion that are legally bound not to release the information.

Even if their lawyers are simply advising them that releasing the information is simply unwise -- the bottom line is, they don't believe they are allowed to release the information under their own agreements.

Page 40 of 47 « First<3839404142>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
EBay ENDS TONIGHT - 1881 S NGC MS65 CAC Gold Sticker Old Holder
by coinman_23885
11:38 AM
Sold ....
by wdrob
03:31 AM
Looking for Rainbow Toned MS64 FBL Franklins
by The Dutchman
10:56 PM
A few coins for sale! Mercuries, Buffalos, Morgans, Peace $, Walkers, etc!
by Deerefan8420
07:30 PM
Comics Marketplace
Brave and The Bold #54 CGC 9.2 OW/W - 1st Teen Titans
by Beige
Amazing Spider-Man 121, Shazam 28 on eBay
by Larryw7
08:42 PM
Tons of HIGH GRADE Stuff....
by nochips
07:44 PM
Two solid mid-grade Atlas books
by Supernerd
07:40 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles