• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

I'm hoping once you see this thread more of you will show the Timely's you have tucked away in your collections. Alex Schomburg is my favorite artist, so I'll start out this thread with one of his best works.

Timely.

345720-captainamerica26.jpg

345720-captainamerica26.jpg.4fe1fc91ff4a430616228b8774c320ed.jpg

I was out of town on a business trip earlier this month and had some time to kill so I stopped at a comic book store and came away with this unexpected surprise. Sad thing, though, is that it's missing the centerfold (but it did make it "affordable"). Anybody have a coverless copy they would like to sell?

At this time, Goodman was also publishing pulps under the Red Circle line. They had a couple of "weird menace" titles (Uncanny Tales and Mystery Tales). This cover takes after them with the monster, hero, fiendish villians in red robes and the girl in the torture device.

There's something special about those Timely's from their first year of publication.

mystic_3.jpg

Here is one of the rarest Timely's from 1942. Overstreet lists it as "Rare". Joker Comics #1 is the only Joker issue to have a Superhero story in it, Stuporman. It's also the 1st appearance of Powerhouse Pepper by Wolverton! I'm going to scan the back cover too as it has Captain America on it!

Timely 346150-joker1.jpg

346150-joker1.jpg.7220e3041c2a9d2040d8e32d2f9cfeb0.jpg

Edited by Timely

This one is listed as SCARCE in Overstreet. Comedy Comics #9 was a continuation of Daring Mystery Comics #1-8. Only the first 3 issues of Comedy Comics have Superhero stories.

Timely 346156-Comedy9.jpg

346156-Comedy9.jpg.4c796657358abec810c8b545dd792f81.jpg

Edited by Timely

Here is a super tough book to get in VF or better. This 8.0 copy is the Highest Graded Copy that CGC has graded to date. Daring Mystery Comics #1-8 had ended years earlier and with issue #9, the title was changed to Daring Comics. I never figured out why the "Mystery" was dropped from the title?!?

Oh, BTW, it's a World War II Schomburg shark cover too!

Timely 346205-Daring9.jpg

346205-Daring9.jpg.5382e2accfd33837ac662d0ad44100a4.jpg

Edited by Timely