• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I have had one of the best weeks yet in the mailbox stakes. A 7.0 Incredible Science Fiction, three new hard to find Australian Disneys and a very (very!) nice run of Dell Pogo 1-15 I won on eBay. (I know this isn't a sales announcement thread, but if you want my 5.0-7.5 undercopies of 3, 6-8, 11-15 send me a PM and we can talk...)

Here is the pick of the bunch. This Australian comic is one of the earliest reprints of US duck material. Although undated, it had to be after Sep 43 (US publication date) and before Sep-46 (when numbered and dated Australian series started). My guess is '44 or '45, because this is a very small comic - less than 5" x 7" - which suggests wartime paper shortages.

I've never seen one of these pocket-sized comics up close before, let alone owned one.(I'd only seen them online, including the very good Australian Disney comic site at http://home.goulburn.net.au/~alecto/ - this one is listed under the Ayres and James issues). I've seen a couple of lowish graded copies sell on the Bay for several hundreds of dollars in the last few years. I got this very nice one, mis-described and listed on UK ebay (probably because of the sixpence 6d price) instead of Australian. It cost me $21. :banana::banana::banana:

I'll post some other Aussie duck stuff in the next few days.

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

AJ_mummy_back.jpg

wow that must be incredibly rare. big congrats! and in nice shape too :o

This wonderful cover just caught my eye -- I've never noticed it before! Is it the only appearance of Gremlins by Kelly on a comic book cover? Does anyone have a primo copy to show off? Will there ever be a reprint collection of the Gremlins strips? Are there enough pages to fill a book?

Partly I want to test GCD's new cover link blocking right here. I'll also include an attachment.

Jack

73118.jpg.f9ef2fd0c20d0da7572be43c92b86266.jpg

I got this very nice one, mis-described and listed on UK ebay (probably because of the sixpence 6d price) instead of Australian. It cost me $21. :banana::banana::banana:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

I'll give you $42 for it! :banana: Great book!

I got this very nice one, mis-described and listed on UK ebay (probably because of the sixpence 6d price) instead of Australian. It cost me $21. :banana::banana::banana:

I'll give you $42 for it! :banana: Great book!

US dollars... hm

I'll sleep on it. (Not really).

Love your books btw - that telescope cover has long been a favourite of mine.

I love the fiery speckled orange cover on that DD.

Of course the 26 is one of my all time fave comics! :) I have never had above a VG though, that is one petty copy!

Got a minty WDCS #34 to show us?

Jack

Has anyone seen the Ducks (and Ducks, and Ducks, and even more Ducks) in the preview for the February Heritage auction? I just went through last night and was absolutely staggered by the sheer volume and quantity. I swear you could just about put together a complete run of WDC&S in 9.0 or better, with LOTS of 9.4s and higher, from just this auction if you had the wherewithal to win everything. And there's the rub, because there's actually TOO much in my opinion.

If this is all coming from Geppi, is he really hurting this bad, and will selling this level of book (as opposed to a few mega-keys) really help him out that much? Because methinks whoever owns these books is doing his best to kill the golden duck by flooding the market with too much all at once, particularly with a Euro well off its highs from last year. I just can't believe that prices won't be hit badly, particularly compared to some of the record prices paid for ultra-HG early WDC&Ss over the last few years. Since I'd already sold all of my Ducks with 2 notable exceptions, I wouldn't mind seeing prices go down, particularly if some bargains can be had, but I don't want to see the market completely tank either.

Well, the official auction listings are up, and the WDCS run, split up into approximately 3 lots, is just mindblowing, particularly the first lot with most of the early issues.

I`m used to seeing a high-grade run of ASM or some similarly common title in a Comiclink auction, but there are really no words to describe seeing HG after HG copy of some extraordinarily difficult books. Particularly all the 9.6 copies.

I will really be curious to see how prices end up, because of the sheer volume of issues. Many of these are $1000+ books, but anyone who really went aggressively after the majority of them and actually won could end up spending well into 6 figures!

Geppi still has the remainder of the higher graded Crescent City run and who knows how many other sets of file copies he may be waiting to unload. It would be really nice if he would clarify this publicly since, right now, a few of us who have been bidding high multiples for these books don't really know what to think. Investing in subprime securities is starting to look like an interesting alternative...

Geppi still has the remainder of the higher graded Crescent City run and who knows how many other sets of file copies he may be waiting to unload. It would be really nice if he would clarify this publicly since, right now, a few of us who have been bidding high multiples for these books don't really know what to think. Investing in subprime securities is starting to look like an interesting alternative...
Do you really expect him to let loose with that information? The only reason he has to reveal it would be if he does NOT have multiple high grade copies. Otherwise, one can infer the alternative from any silence. It goes back to tth's point. It's a huge amount of HG Ducks coming to market at one time. I'll be watching to see how they do. Edited by Transplant