Page 34 of 47 « First<3233343536>Last »
Topic Options
#2908213 - 01/30/09 07:49 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: lou_fine]
DrWatson Offline

"What are you armed with?"
"Guess."
"Guess?"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Twatosaurus rex
 Originally Posted By: lou_fine
 Originally Posted By: DrWatson

So, if and when you sell these "OO" books, are you going to sell them for exactly what you paid them?

Don't really understand your point of view here!

Are you implying that the only people who should make money on a book are speculators or those who are willing to juiced them up and then laundered them. Sounds like you are saying that any collector who buys a book and holds onto that book for an extended period of time because they want to have that book in their personal collection should only be allowed to sell them for the exact same price they originally paid for them.

To tell you the honest truth, I have much less problems with collectors making money on a book naturally over a period of time as opposed to a non-collector who simply "buys them, juices them up" and without any disclosure, flips them for a profit.

But I do understand your point of view that one is more interested in the book while the other is more interested in the money. So of course, its more important to ensure that the latter gets as much money as he can out of the game, while the former should make absolutely no money at all when he does decide to sell.

So, what is the standard waiting period? At what length of time does a sale no longer become a flip? When is it okay to sell a book and profit from the transaction? When is a greedy, juicing, pumping dealer who flips books allowed to make the same profit as a virtuous pillar of the collecting community?

You seem to imply that the longer an individual holds a book, the more of a right they have to make money from the sale. I disagree with that thought. My point is that they both have a right to profit from a transaction regardless of the length of time a book has been in their collection.

One other comment on original owner collections. Would you have liked to have been the person that purchased Jason Ewert's "original owner" books?

"When in a room full of people and no one has your back; it's time to move your back." ~ Anonymous

I think that life's too short for this. I want back my ignorance and bliss. I think I've had enough of this. Blow me... one last kiss.

You can tell the truth or you can lie. You can say I left you or I died. Say I'm in the Himalayas on some spiritual quest and could spend years lookin' for the light. Say I'm in the witness program with the F.B.I. Say a U.F.O. abducted me from home. Well, you can say what you chose, but I tell you the truth. You can say for sure I'm gone.

July 25, 2009.

#2908257 - 01/30/09 08:40 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Transplant]
buttock Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: gettin jiggly wit it
 Originally Posted By: Transplant
 Originally Posted By: buttock
Insanity - n. in-san-eh-tee - repeating the same act over & over and expecting a different result.
I like accountability better.

What exactly are they accountable for? Ewert has accountability. CGC does not. CGC went out of their way to accomodate those who got ripped off by Ewert - something they were not obligated to do.

#2908578 - 01/30/09 11:56 AM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: buttock]
Worldsbestcomics Offline

I have no influence with CGC.

Pedigreed

Loc: No Longer Behind the Number On...
Insanity - n. in-san-eh-tee - repeating the same act over & over and expecting a different result.

What exactly are they accountable for? Ewert has accountability. CGC does not. CGC went out of their way to accomodate those who got ripped off by Ewert - something they were not obligated to do.

Speaking as someone who actually got ripped off by Ewert, I think CGC has handled everything professionally. I would not ask for anything more than what they have done. I think that they have been more than accountable throughout this whole mess.

My CAF sketch cover gallery

#2908600 - 01/30/09 12:06 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Worldsbestcomics]
Transplant Online   confused

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society
 Originally Posted By: Worldsbestcomics

Speaking as someone who actually got ripped off by Ewert, I think CGC has handled everything professionally. I would not ask for anything more than what they have done. I think that they have been more than accountable throughout this whole mess.
I was just thinking that CGC as the company who 1) has a list of books they suspect might be trimmed and 2) who operate a registry with the numbers of the books they suspect; might decide to contact the owners of those books registered on their site. Further, it might be good PR to publish the list of books that haven't been checked so as to protect other potential buyers. Finally, I'm not suggesting that CGC buy back the books. Just let the collecting community know which ones are suspect and why others submitted by Ewert at different times or sold by him, are not.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#2908645 - 01/30/09 12:31 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Worldsbestcomics]
Mr. Zipper Offline

If every thread and post that was self-referential to Board protocol, politics, history and/or monkey-business disappeared, how many would be left?
-- from the book "Solipsistic Proof that the Boards are All"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Upstate NY

How did you learn you had books that should be checked?

Steve Zarelli Space Authentication

My blog: The Collecting Obsession

Want List:
* Action Comics -- 31, 44, 48, 58, 59, 63, 66, 90 (4.0 - 7.0 range)

#2908768 - 01/30/09 01:49 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Worldsbestcomics]
sterlingcomics Offline

Mine was The Registry Buginator but I prefer(snip)

My custom title still sucks

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: House of Mystery

I disagree.

So, if I bought a book that was sold by Ewert originally, but I'm now the second or third owner...who is accountable?

I just bought an Ewert book less than a year ago because CGC wasn't proactive in helping to get these books a clean bill of health. At the very least if they communicated the books to watch out for then I can assure myself that I am not buying an Ewert special. Until they do so, there are 3,000 or more books floating around in collections that may be tainted.

And the problem will be shifted to the next buyer.

I'm a big CGC fan and a purchaser of high grade books, but how are their non-actions in COMMUNICATING (much less resolving) this to people like me that depend on their service going to stop the bleeding or increase my confidence?

#2908780 - 01/30/09 01:57 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: sterlingcomics]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Who knows if this will do any good... but for those of you wondering, I read some of the comments here in the thread and the questions and intend to at least chat with Mark Haspel in New York. If there's something that is worthwhile reporting back on, I will. I will say that my stance is that CGC took this matter seriously and did what it could to rectify it. However, I also understand the concerns that are being voiced here.

#2908803 - 01/30/09 02:11 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Foolkiller]
sterlingcomics Offline

Mine was The Registry Buginator but I prefer(snip)

My custom title still sucks

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: House of Mystery
Wow. Where's the Kool Aid?

They were serious. In self-preservation. In doing damage control. In protecting their interests. And as a for-profit business, their interests are clear. And I'm ok with that.

But let this be clear. They have been good in "making good" on their mistakes on a re-active basis, but in terms of their ability to act in the interests of collectors who buy products from their services, they have done nothing in my opinion. And...that frustrates me as someone that is a customer uses their services and as a collector that depend on their expertise.

#2908807 - 01/30/09 02:13 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: sterlingcomics]
Foolkiller Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Baltimore, MD
 Originally Posted By: sterlingcomics
Wow. Where's the Kool Aid?

They were serious. In self-preservation. In doing damage control. In protecting their interests. And as a for-profit business, their interests are clear. And I'm ok with that.

But let this be clear. They have been good in "making good" on their mistakes on a re-active basis, but in terms of their ability to act in the interests of collectors who buy products from their services, they have done nothing in my opinion. And...that frustrates me as someone that both uses their services and as a collector that depend on their expertise.

What's your proposal for what you'd like to see them do?

#2908819 - 01/30/09 02:21 PM Re: CGC Response on Suspected Ewert Books [Re: Foolkiller]
drbanner Offline

I think all the people repeatedly crying about not getting a custom title should be inducted into the "Crybaby Crew", and forever carry that as their custom title!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
 Originally Posted By: Foolkiller
Who knows if this will do any good... but for those of you wondering, I read some of the comments here in the thread and the questions and intend to at least chat with Mark Haspel in New York. If there's something that is worthwhile reporting back on, I will. I will say that my stance is that CGC took this matter seriously and did what it could to rectify it. However, I also understand the concerns that are being voiced here.

Great Brian, it would be great if you would ask Mark if their reluctance to release the full list of serial numbers of Ewert submissions from the "suspect period" remains a privacy issue (they don't release customer records).

As I recall, this is one of the (the?) main reasons CGC didn't release the full list 3 years ago when the trimming was originally discovered.

\(thumbs u

Page 34 of 47 « First<3233343536>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Error Coins for Sale
by Jon Sullivan
12:14 PM
WTB NGC MS69 Quarters 2009-2014
by Kapimono
11:57 AM
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:25 PM
Comics Marketplace
Adventure Time CGC 9.8 Virgins NO RESERVE
by Frozentoast
Rangers Comics 33 (CGC 8.5)
by Hibou
Ebay auctions ending Sunday 10/26...Copper/Moder
n Thanos registry set comics

by Skynwalker
05:21 PM
***Wonder Woman #1 CGC 4.0 White Pages (1942)***
by jaja-mon12
02:55 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing