Page 1 of 30 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2906815 - 01/29/09 03:44 PM The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here
Matt Nelson Moderator Offline
CCS President
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Hi everyone!

Now that Stephen Ritter and I are here together in Dallas, Worldwide is off and running and the new year is upon us, we’re both racing to the finish line on our Pedigree book. First off, let me give a big Thank You to everyone for being patient, and especially to our advertisers whose support has, and will make this project a success. When I started this back in 2003, I had no idea how much of an undertaking it is to write a book. Stephen and I work on the book only in our spare time, time which seems to be continually shrinking day to day.

So going forward, we decided now would be the perfect time to start an official pedigree thread to provide updates, ask research questions, and create a place for everyone to post thoughts, comments, etc. To start off, we pose these five questions below to anyone reading. Feel free to either respond here, or contact us privately if that is your prerogative. My email is matt@comicpedigrees.com, and Stephen’s is Stephen@wwcomics.com. The more response we get to our questions, the more questions we will post.

Comicpedigrees.com, the official website for the pedigree book has also been updated, which now includes a checklist of where we’re at with each of the 48 collections. This list will be updated as we progress with each story. Our hope is to have the book finished and out during this year’s convention season.

We’ll be checking this thread almost every day, but please give us at least a day or two to post, as we tend to get swamped at work. Stephen is leaving for the NY show on Saturday, and I’ll be at Ponscon all this weekend, followed by my trip to NY next Tuesday. Of course we’ll be set up with our huge inventory from wwcomics.com, and I’ll be doing my on-site proscreens for pressing and restoration for classicsincorporated.com. (shameless plug)

Without further ado, here are the first five questions of the thread:

1. Did anyone buy any key issues from an antique dealer couple named the Thompsons in the '70s? The collection they purchased would go on to be considered the Kansas City pedigree, which happens to be the oldest pedigree among our 48.

2. Can anyone provide scans of Kansas City books?

3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

4. It appears that the Pennsylvania collection original list is lost. Does anyone know of big key issues from this collection?

5. Does anyone have contact info for Bob Gray, broker of the Twilight collection (owner of Twilight Book and Game Emporium, Syracuse, NY)?

Thanks for reading…I hope we see some interesting feedback and discussions here.

Matt Nelson

#2906832 - 01/29/09 03:50 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: Matt Nelson]
Gone Phishin' Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Fort Lauderdale
I can not answer any of your questions, but do you have a date in mind, that you guys are aiming for a release date?

WTB:

Thrilling #11, 15 + 18 in any condition

Black Terror 2, 5, 7-9, 12 3.0-5.0 raw or CGC

Black Terror 20

#2906864 - 01/29/09 04:02 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: Matt Nelson]
nearmint Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jeff in Newport Beach, CA
 Quote:
3. Has anyone ever seen a San Francisco pedigree copy from the Nedor/Standard/Better publisher before?

Ah, the question that has haunted me for years. I can tell you that CGC has never seen one, Steve Fishler has never seen one, and Heritage has never seen one. Bob swears that full runs of the Nedor/Standard/Better titles did exist in the collection, but I've been unable to find any evidence to support that claim. While it's possible that a single individual purchased those runs soon after the collection came to market, it seems unlikely, as the collection was sold piece-meal, a dozen or so books at a time, rather than in large groups or runs.

What haunts me is this: Looking at the titles that do exist in the Reilly collection, it stymies me to think that Tom wouldn't have collected Nedors. They seem right up his alley. The only explanation that I can come up with is that perhaps Nedor/Standard/Better titles were not distributed as widely as DC and Timely.

I hope you guys can learn more. I've done a lot of digging over the years, to no avail. I tend to imagine the Reilly Nedors stored in a large crate, way in the back of the same warehouse they wheel the arc of the covenant into at the end of Raiders!

DETECTIVE27.COM

WANTED: Okajima war covers. Action Comics #39, 40, 50, 55, 56, 59, 61 in 8.0 or better. Adventure Comics #46 in 4.0 or better. Romantic Marriage #8 in any grade.

VINTAGE PHOTOS WITH COMICS!

#2906907 - 01/29/09 04:38 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: nearmint]
BLBcomics Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Middle of America
 Originally Posted By: nearmint
 Quote:

Ah, the question that has haunted me for years.

Got an email, went to the web site, clicked the CGC THREAD on the left hand side, here i am, and how has every one been?

me, my busted hip joints in need of replacement are accelerating in disintegrating - but all plans are still on for NYC comicon next week, booth 2503

leaving out Monday - they say they will have people there to unload my stuff.

All that aside, my memory is very distinct, there were Nedors in there, like there was DC, Marvel, Fawcett, MLJ, Fiction House, etc -

the kicker is not all the books had the Reilly stamp, many of the books had no Gilboy markings, and there are still plenty of collections accumulated in the 70s & 80s which are not slabbed, nor have they come onto the market

I just noticed the WINDY CITY batch of #1 issues only has 3% of its numbers listed in the CGC directory - so sez this pedigree web site.

Been in a lot of pain last few months, looks like i should get cracking on finishing up compiling the Tom Reilly chapter story - if you still want it

best
robert

#2906922 - 01/29/09 04:49 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: BLBcomics]
nearmint Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jeff in Newport Beach, CA
I sure hope you're right, Bob. I'd love to own a Reilly Nedor one day!

DETECTIVE27.COM

WANTED: Okajima war covers. Action Comics #39, 40, 50, 55, 56, 59, 61 in 8.0 or better. Adventure Comics #46 in 4.0 or better. Romantic Marriage #8 in any grade.

VINTAGE PHOTOS WITH COMICS!

#2906931 - 01/29/09 04:55 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: nearmint]
G.A.tor Offline

only a schmuck would want a custom title...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Gator Nation
matt, I can get you a KC Marvel 1 scan \:\)

Originally posted by Mmehdy:
"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..
It is time for "Daddy" and he is gonna give you a spanking......"

#2906958 - 01/29/09 05:14 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: G.A.tor]
kryptonitecomics Offline
First Official Signature Set
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: O-Town Baby! Home of the Magic
Can't help with the questions but I have been looking forward to the book coming out for some time....as it is I have read your brief descriptions of the top 45 GA pedigrees several times \(thumbs u

EBAY LINK
http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/sch/kryptonitecomics/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

#2906969 - 01/29/09 05:27 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: kryptonitecomics]
Crowzilla Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I will look for my old KC Flash #1 scan if that will help

#2907164 - 01/29/09 07:06 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: Crowzilla]
DrWatson Offline

"What are you armed with?"
"Guess."
"Guess?"

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Twatosaurus rex
Even though Golden Age really isn't my thing, I am looking forward to this book. Personally knowing a few of the contributors makes it even more interesting. \:\)

"When in a room full of people and no one has your back; it's time to move your back." ~ Anonymous

I think that life's too short for this. I want back my ignorance and bliss. I think I've had enough of this. Blow me... one last kiss.

You can tell the truth or you can lie. You can say I left you or I died. Say I'm in the Himalayas on some spiritual quest and could spend years lookin' for the light. Say I'm in the witness program with the F.B.I. Say a U.F.O. abducted me from home. Well, you can say what you chose, but I tell you the truth. You can say for sure I'm gone.

July 25, 2009.

#2907510 - 01/29/09 10:16 PM Re: The Official PEDIGREE BOOK thread! Updates and comments here [Re: DrWatson]
The Troll King Offline

"I don't feel like a freaknut..."

"Sometimes you don't."

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Watching the Lunatics Run the ...
What I'd like to see at some point is a GCD type database of scans of pedigree books. It be cool to try and put together full runs of a title as a community effort. I know well probably never see many books but it would be pretty cool none the less.

Widespread acceptance of an idea is not proof of its validity. -Robert Langdon�

"Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you are being had. Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Michael Crichton 1/17/03 speech California Institute of Technology"

Page 1 of 30 12345>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
$20 FOLDOVER ERROR. MUST SEE
by BRIAN339
42 minutes 21 seconds ago
FS: 1890-CC MORGAN PCGS MS63
by agentjim007
Today at 06:21 PM
For Sale: 1988 P PCGS MS66 Washington Quarter
by erwindoc
Today at 03:15 PM
NGC 1913-D TY2 Buffalo Nickel AU50 - Only 4 HOURS LEFT! 250$ Coin for 140$.
by TheTdotP
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Comics Marketplace
Pre Thanksgiving-a-Paloo
za Fingh Style.

by seanfingh
3 minutes 47 seconds ago
Golden age Lot Wonder Woman 40 Detective 275 Superboy 75 - $92
by MichaelB1973
8 minutes 53 seconds ago
Green Lantern (1960 series) #7 & #78. -- $150
by MichaelB1973
48 minutes 43 seconds ago
48hrs Huge Sale: 600 DC comics, no duplicates!
by Aslpride8
Today at 06:49 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles 125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum